Rescuing Ducklings

robert

At work we have a lake where lots of ducks live and hang out all day. I work at Hewlett Packard technology site that has lots of buildings, thousands of employees and millions of sqaure feet.

So I was patrolling around doing my security rounds and found a duck and duckling walking around in circles above a storm drain. I was concerned that maybe a duckling fell down between the cracks. I approached the mother hissed at me and didn't want me around. I could hear the little baby quacking and peeping from down in the drain so I called my supervisor.

She came out with a net and as we approached the storm drain, there was just the mother duck, so ducklings and she was in a panic and flew away when we got there. We looked down the storm drain and couldn't see very well. I removed the storm drain cover that weighed about 100 pounds and set it down smashing my finger. My supervisor flashed a light down and saw a couple of little heads about 6 feet down. They were in a little tunnel that we couldn't reach with the net.

I was getting really concerned and worried for a babies and for the mother. I was fighting back getting emotional when I called in the first place that the ducklings had fallen and were trapped. After a wait of 15 or 20 minutes I saw my supervisor reach the net way down the hole and she brought out about 5 ducklings. I was 50 feet away searching for the mother at this time. Then I approached her and she pulled out another 3 or 4 ducklings in the net. And she said there was still one left. Then she finally got the slippery little guy too.

So about 9 little ducklings about 3 days old I'd guess were walking around scared and then their mother came Flying in to take them back and (probably scold them).

Seeing her reunited with the ducklings was one of the happiest individual moments I've had in a long time. I just felt such sensation of joy and relief and I was so glad I was able to notice the last one before he fell or perhaps they would have never been found, since they were in an area not many people frequent and it was on a weekend when hardly anyone is there.

I was extemely happy that my supervisor came to help and we were able to rescue them.

It reminded me of how much I care about the animals. It made me so concerned for their safety and so happy for their reunion. It was intrinsic and instinctual so it was true emotion that I think defines who I am.

I love baby animals and glad I found these ones before it was too late.

• 1 month later...

A few weeks ago more ducklings fell in a storm drain and we had another successful rescue. No more falls in the past few weeks and the ducklings are getting bigger now.

It's great saving animals by not eating them and it's a truly great feeling rescuing and saving animals in danger as well.

They are just regular storm drain covers, that have the little metal bars about every inch. We check them daily and have only had a few times where we had something down there. Animals have to be pretty small to fall through the cracks. Unfortunately we're not allowed to put covers over the grate or anything like that.

So we do what we're allowed to do and help when we can.