Burial for animals

V VII Hero

I feel horrible. first time back driving my car and getting it street legal...

3 houses away from mine I was driving and a squirrel ran out in front of the car. I slammed on my brakes and prayed to god for the squirrels to make it safely to the other side. I instantly panicked as I knew I felt something hit the wheel. I looked in the rearview and didnt see anything. perhaps I missed the squirrel and she was alright. I ran into my house and got rubber gloves and I rushed to the aide of the squirrel at the scene. the squirrel was nowhere to be found, and I thought to myself thank god... then I found her. she laid there and I thought maybe just a broken bone, I can nurse her back to health. I picked her up and cradled her hoping to get the pupils to dilate, a breath, a pulse, anything. nothing. and I watched blood drip out her mouth. I cried. I thought how can I, one who tries my best to be vegan, do this. how can ppl in the world kill and eat animals. how can people murder and wear animals. how come this happened? why did this happen. I carried the squirrel back down to my house. held her in the palms of my hands with white gloves, and with my head low I prayed please please let her be okay. I got to my yard and placed her lightly on the ground and fully examined to see if I could heal her, anything. I looked at all the vital signs, and assessed her. She was indeed dead. I for the first time felt first hand responsible for a death. is this what murder is? this is horrible. I realized that all those years I spend eating meat, and dairy, and wearing wool...I was a murderer. This has set the tone for me to push veganism as far as I can. that now, more than ever, this lifestyle is the most important.

I grabbed some shovels, and picked out a burial spot next to the garden. sobbing, I axe-picked and shovelled a burial spot. I cried and cried and hoped that perhaps maybe the squirrel would come back to life, she was still warm. but she did not. I placed her in the grave and put an acorn her paws, to symbolize life. the garden spoke to me and the wind rustled thru. I could hear the sorrow of others and I knew I was not alone. I felt the presence of mother earth, gaia. she welcomed the squirrel and with the most beautiful flower in the garden, I laid it next to the squirrels body to represent peace. its was a bright pink flower with a yellow center and a long green stem. at ease and rest, the squirrel was alas ready to be buried. but not before I said my apologies. I had chosen a sunny spot of the yard, in hopes that the squirrels soul will always be warm, and forgiveful. I said my last goodbye and covered the grave. I then went to the garden and picked two flower. another pink one and a bright orange one. I placed them in an X on the burial spot.

I went thru all this because the squirrel died by my actions. although I prevented everything I could. it was my fault. I killed the squirrel. I took it upon my own liberty to give the squirrel a proper burial as believe all animals and creatures alike are of this earth and have souls. I would want the squirrel to do the same for me if the roles were reversed. I just hope the squirrels soul can find it in her heart to forgive me.

Even us vegans cannot prevent all harm no matter how hard we try, but that doesnt make us any less vegan. So never give up on being vegan, and do all you can for the animals. most importantly never stop trying, never stop caring, and never stop loving.

love can heal all.

Good that you are abled to draw some inner strength from it. That strength will allow you to accomplish things that will save many thousands of animals from the slaughterhouse.

I agree with Michael 1000% Topher.

Hero, listen to this very carefully: You are, hero, one of the MOST COMPASSIONATE, GENTLE, and KIND spirits I know. That will never change, and has only been strengthened by this sad tragic accident.

I cannot stop crying since reading your post because I am saddened that there aren't more such spirits in the world out there like you. If there were, animal suffering would be virtually non-existent.

The squirrel does forgive you. I am sure of it. But I know how this must have devastated you, even though it was an accident. Your life is about saving animals, and it still is and will always be.

Thank-you for being you, and please dont ever change. You are truly an exceptional soul.

If most of the world's population was even a quarter as compassionate as you, the world would be a kinder, gentler place a million times over!!! But, sadly, people have no thoughts about being responsible for the deaths and suffering of hundreds of thousands of animals in their selfish lifetimes!

Many people wont even slow down for an animal, let alone swerve to avoid the animal where doing so is safe, and I know what sick fuck that would ACCELERATE in the hopes of hitting an animal that he saw crossing the road.

God bless you Topher.

i know you feel bad topher, but these things happen. every animal has an impact on its surrounding - an elephant may step on a mouse for instance.

the point is that you will inevitably kill some animals during your life, it is unavoidable. if you think about every animal that you could have saved, you would end up a depressed wreck.

better not to dwell on the squirrel and think of all the animals you are saving by being vegan.

jonathan

Topher don't kick yourself as you did not mean to kill the squirrel, it was an accident. You did everything you could to prevent causing harm to him/her, but it was just his/her time..... and it was quick. I believe he/she is smiling down at you because of the compassion and love she saw from you today.

You have turned this into a positive because it has reinforced your desire to fight for animal rights...to see that nonhumans deserve rights as well. Forgive yourself and keep fighting the good fight.