i'm gonna get fast... i hope

Create and maintain your own personal online journal. Log your meals and/or workouts, and monitor your progress. Hold yourself accountable and receive support, suggestions, and be open to feedback.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Message
Author
User avatar
pamela
Elephant
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:51 am
Location: Ottawa

i'm gonna get fast... i hope

#1 Postby pamela » Sun May 27, 2007 11:55 am

OK I finally feel adequate enough to have one of these things. :D

I started running about a month ago, after ellipticalling 5 days a week for a year and a half. I tried running last April once, but I was with a friend and the pace was too fast and I remember wanting to die afterwards. My experience has been very different this time.

I am not terribly interested in running very long distances. I don't want to do anything that takes more than an hour. So I'm starting with the 5k distance. I have a goal for that, which I am currently a long ways from, but my progress has been pretty good for only a month at it. And during that month I was sick for a week with laryngitis and had a wicked "time of the month" that totally knocked me out.

I am running with my boyfriend, who is also new to this and so far has been plagued by injury. We worked up to 4k pretty quickly, within the first week and a half. We ran/walked it once before going the full distance non-stop, which we have done for the past couple weeks. My pb time on the 4k was 24:30, but I didn't focus too much on speed because I wanted to wait until we were actually doing 5k.

Today we decided to do the full 5k. This was our first time doing it. I felt great throughout, but my running partner's injuries made us keep a much slower pace than I would have liked through kilometres 2.5-4. Finally when we reached the last kilometre I grabbed the stop watch and ran at my own pace.

I finished my first ever 5k run today in 31:30, which I figure isn't too bad for my first time doing the distance. My goal is to eventually reach a 20 minute 5k. I am not sure how realistic it is. Like I said, I want to be fast, not run for hours. I'm lazy like that. :)

Diet-wise, while I am not by any stretch "going raw" i have increased the amount of raw foods in my diet over the past two months, and hope to report on that here as well. I'm feeling really good! I consume a small amount of vega every day as part of my green smoothie.

User avatar
Tasha
Stegosaurus
Posts: 3395
Age: 38
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 3:25 pm
Contact:

Re: i'm gonna get fast... i hope

#2 Postby Tasha » Sun May 27, 2007 12:50 pm

pamela wrote:OK I finally feel adequate enough to have one of these things. :D

I started running about a month ago, after ellipticalling 5 days a week for a year and a half. I tried running last April once, but I was with a friend and the pace was too fast and I remember wanting to die afterwards. My experience has been very different this time.

I am not terribly interested in running very long distances. I don't want to do anything that takes more than an hour. So I'm starting with the 5k distance. I have a goal for that, which I am currently a long ways from, but my progress has been pretty good for only a month at it. And during that month I was sick for a week with laryngitis and had a wicked "time of the month" that totally knocked me out.

I am running with my boyfriend, who is also new to this and so far has been plagued by injury. We worked up to 4k pretty quickly, within the first week and a half. We ran/walked it once before going the full distance non-stop, which we have done for the past couple weeks. My pb time on the 4k was 24:30, but I didn't focus too much on speed because I wanted to wait until we were actually doing 5k.

Today we decided to do the full 5k. This was our first time doing it. I felt great throughout, but my running partner's injuries made us keep a much slower pace than I would have liked through kilometres 2.5-4. Finally when we reached the last kilometre I grabbed the stop watch and ran at my own pace.

I finished my first ever 5k run today in 31:30, which I figure isn't too bad for my first time doing the distance. My goal is to eventually reach a 20 minute 5k. I am not sure how realistic it is. Like I said, I want to be fast, not run for hours. I'm lazy like that. :)

Diet-wise, while I am not by any stretch "going raw" i have increased the amount of raw foods in my diet over the past two months, and hope to report on that here as well. I'm feeling really good! I consume a small amount of vega every day as part of my green smoothie.


Great progress Pamela!! :)
The hardest part of starting.. is getting your butt out there..You'll be surprise that you can beat your time.. The more miles you put in, the better you get at it... Another thing you'll be surprise is you'll want to push it further... Have you thought about runnning with a group or club or getting a coach?.. they'll teach proper form, it's fun and you'll gain more confidence..
Who knows, you could even be the next Steve Prefontane, who broke a 5k just over 13mins:)
But in the mean time take it slow, let your body adapt.. and just have FUN!!!!
You're doing fantastic !!!

veganpotter

#3 Postby veganpotter » Sun May 27, 2007 1:24 pm

20minutes is a very realistic goal. In a 5k to get that time you don't need to ever run more than 1hr at a time so long as you do some interval training...however lets way you want to run 42minutes or so in a 10k...you should be doing some easy runs for upwards of two hours.
Good Luck :D

User avatar
pamela
Elephant
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:51 am
Location: Ottawa

#4 Postby pamela » Sun May 27, 2007 1:48 pm

Thanks for the replies! :D

One of my real-life good friends Markc7 (who posts here) is a "real" runner (and a really good one too, he's doing a 100 mile ultra this weekend!) and he's been helping me out with tips and says he'll tell me what to do to get fast once I've gotten accustomed to doing the 5k. So I'm thinking that will be soon!

I also ran with my dad last weekend who has been running for about seven years and he says my form is really good... which is cool because I haven't really even tried. I have to admit, I'm not crazy about the idea of running with a group. I don't like being on other people's timetables or traveling by car to a location to run. Although when Mark and his wife wendy move down to my neighbourhood in August I imagine they might let me join them sometimes if I'm fast enough. Wendy's also an ultramarathoner. That will be awesome.

But yeah, now that I'm starting to get the hang of it I should look into some training-type stuff. I know nothing more than "put on shoes, go out and run." I did pick up some nice gear on the weekend at the health and fitness expo that was going on. :D

User avatar
Tasha
Stegosaurus
Posts: 3395
Age: 38
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 3:25 pm
Contact:

#5 Postby Tasha » Sun May 27, 2007 4:34 pm

pamela wrote:Thanks for the replies! :D

One of my real-life good friends Markc7 (who posts here) is a "real" runner (and a really good one too, he's doing a 100 mile ultra this weekend!) and he's been helping me out with tips and says he'll tell me what to do to get fast once I've gotten accustomed to doing the 5k. So I'm thinking that will be soon!

I also ran with my dad last weekend who has been running for about seven years and he says my form is really good... which is cool because I haven't really even tried. I have to admit, I'm not crazy about the idea of running with a group. I don't like being on other people's timetables or traveling by car to a location to run. Although when Mark and his wife wendy move down to my neighbourhood in August I imagine they might let me join them sometimes if I'm fast enough. Wendy's also an ultramarathoner. That will be awesome.

But yeah, now that I'm starting to get the hang of it I should look into some training-type stuff. I know nothing more than "put on shoes, go out and run." I did pick up some nice gear on the weekend at the health and fitness expo that was going on. :D

Great start Pamela.. .make sure you're eating lots of good vegan food...and that you're sleeping good...
that's one of the keys, is train with people who are better then you..
I was training with my friend Donald since November. He's running the 256k across the Gobi Dessert... On June 17th... I haven't been training with him because he's at his peak, and I'm injured... :(
Great on you though, you're on the right track.. :)

User avatar
pamela
Elephant
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:51 am
Location: Ottawa

#6 Postby pamela » Sun May 27, 2007 4:48 pm

Tasha wrote:Great start Pamela.. .make sure you're eating lots of good vegan food...and that you're sleeping good...
that's one of the keys, is train with people who are better then you..
I was training with my friend Donald since November. He's running the 256k across the Gobi Dessert... On June 17th... I haven't been training with him because he's at his peak, and I'm injured... :(
Great on you though, you're on the right track.. :)


Eating lots of good vegan food has helped me to sleep better. My diet is constantly improving, and I've got all kinds of positive peer pressure from friends (some raw foodists locally, Brendan, other vegan friends) to eat well and be a shining vegan example. :) Same thing with the actual running bit. Most of my best friends run marathons, at minimum (I have several friends who ran marathons today!) My boss is a 12x marathoner. Another coworker has done 7 full ironman competitions. So it has helped me to become inspired! But that's also why I want to do something a little different, and not try to become a marathon runner myself.

Wow, 256k in the desert is crazy! :P Good for him, and lucky you having the opportunity to train with him. I'm so excited about my friends moving to my neighbourhood, this is really going to help to keep me motivated.

User avatar
pamela
Elephant
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:51 am
Location: Ottawa

#7 Postby pamela » Sun May 27, 2007 7:56 pm

Just did 1/2 an hour of yoga.

User avatar
pamela
Elephant
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:51 am
Location: Ottawa

#8 Postby pamela » Mon May 28, 2007 6:20 am

today I did the 5k in 30:27.

User avatar
pamela
Elephant
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:51 am
Location: Ottawa

#9 Postby pamela » Mon May 28, 2007 7:44 pm

Just did 45 minutes of weights/crunches etc.

Also, today I commissioned the assistance of a personal trainer, Markc7's amazing and hot wife, Wendy! She is going to help me to develop a plan. :D

User avatar
pamela
Elephant
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:51 am
Location: Ottawa

#10 Postby pamela » Tue May 29, 2007 9:27 am

Did the 5k in 31:00 even this morning. I was really hot though, forgot to factor in the sun when choosing my attire. :x

User avatar
Flare
Manatee
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:27 am
Location: near Hannover, Germany
Contact:

#11 Postby Flare » Tue May 29, 2007 6:00 pm

Oh, you have a good speed. Impressive

User avatar
pamela
Elephant
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:51 am
Location: Ottawa

#12 Postby pamela » Tue May 29, 2007 6:32 pm

Flare wrote:Oh, you have a good speed. Impressive


:) thanks! I'm pretty pleased with my speed after just one month at it. Just wait until my personal trainer's through with me!

User avatar
pamela
Elephant
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:51 am
Location: Ottawa

#13 Postby pamela » Tue May 29, 2007 7:49 pm

Just did half an hour of yoga.

User avatar
pamela
Elephant
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:51 am
Location: Ottawa

#14 Postby pamela » Thu May 31, 2007 7:51 pm

I took a rest day yesterday.

Today I did 1/2 hour on the elliptical in the morning, and 1/2 hour of weights/crunches tonight.

User avatar
pamela
Elephant
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:51 am
Location: Ottawa

#15 Postby pamela » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:58 am

Yesterday I ran the 5k... I am not sure of the time because I accidentally pressed a button on the stopwatch during my run and it screwed it up. bah! Anyway, Todd (bf) came with me but had to stop 2k in. I continued without him. Apparently not long after we separated he said some guy waiting for the bus was totally ogling me in a really pervy way. Todd caught his eye and gave him a look and the guy actually ran across the street as though intimidated. I really hope there aren't too many pervy men out there, or at least if they are that they aren't a danger to me on the days I go alone. :x


Return to “Online Training Journals & Blogs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests