i'm gonna get fast... i hope

OK I finally feel adequate enough to have one of these things.

I started running about a month ago, after ellipticalling 5 days a week for a year and a half. I tried running last April once, but I was with a friend and the pace was too fast and I remember wanting to die afterwards. My experience has been very different this time.

I am not terribly interested in running very long distances. I don't want to do anything that takes more than an hour. So I'm starting with the 5k distance. I have a goal for that, which I am currently a long ways from, but my progress has been pretty good for only a month at it. And during that month I was sick for a week with laryngitis and had a wicked "time of the month" that totally knocked me out.

I am running with my boyfriend, who is also new to this and so far has been plagued by injury. We worked up to 4k pretty quickly, within the first week and a half. We ran/walked it once before going the full distance non-stop, which we have done for the past couple weeks. My pb time on the 4k was 24:30, but I didn't focus too much on speed because I wanted to wait until we were actually doing 5k.

Today we decided to do the full 5k. This was our first time doing it. I felt great throughout, but my running partner's injuries made us keep a much slower pace than I would have liked through kilometres 2.5-4. Finally when we reached the last kilometre I grabbed the stop watch and ran at my own pace.

I finished my first ever 5k run today in 31:30, which I figure isn't too bad for my first time doing the distance. My goal is to eventually reach a 20 minute 5k. I am not sure how realistic it is. Like I said, I want to be fast, not run for hours. I'm lazy like that.

Diet-wise, while I am not by any stretch "going raw" i have increased the amount of raw foods in my diet over the past two months, and hope to report on that here as well. I'm feeling really good! I consume a small amount of vega every day as part of my green smoothie.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK I finally feel adequate enough to have one of these things.

I started running about a month ago, after ellipticalling 5 days a week for a year and a half. I tried running last April once, but I was with a friend and the pace was too fast and I remember wanting to die afterwards. My experience has been very different this time.

I am not terribly interested in running very long distances. I don't want to do anything that takes more than an hour. So I'm starting with the 5k distance. I have a goal for that, which I am currently a long ways from, but my progress has been pretty good for only a month at it. And during that month I was sick for a week with laryngitis and had a wicked "time of the month" that totally knocked me out.

I am running with my boyfriend, who is also new to this and so far has been plagued by injury. We worked up to 4k pretty quickly, within the first week and a half. We ran/walked it once before going the full distance non-stop, which we have done for the past couple weeks. My pb time on the 4k was 24:30, but I didn't focus too much on speed because I wanted to wait until we were actually doing 5k.

Today we decided to do the full 5k. This was our first time doing it. I felt great throughout, but my running partner's injuries made us keep a much slower pace than I would have liked through kilometres 2.5-4. Finally when we reached the last kilometre I grabbed the stop watch and ran at my own pace.

I finished my first ever 5k run today in 31:30, which I figure isn't too bad for my first time doing the distance. My goal is to eventually reach a 20 minute 5k. I am not sure how realistic it is. Like I said, I want to be fast, not run for hours. I'm lazy like that.

Diet-wise, while I am not by any stretch "going raw" i have increased the amount of raw foods in my diet over the past two months, and hope to report on that here as well. I'm feeling really good! I consume a small amount of vega every day as part of my green smoothie.

Great progress Pamela!!

The hardest part of starting.. is getting your butt out there..You'll be surprise that you can beat your time.. The more miles you put in, the better you get at it... Another thing you'll be surprise is you'll want to push it further... Have you thought about runnning with a group or club or getting a coach?.. they'll teach proper form, it's fun and you'll gain more confidence..

Who knows, you could even be the next Steve Prefontane, who broke a 5k just over 13mins:)

But in the mean time take it slow, let your body adapt.. and just have FUN!!!!

You're doing fantastic !!!

20minutes is a very realistic goal. In a 5k to get that time you don't need to ever run more than 1hr at a time so long as you do some interval training...however lets way you want to run 42minutes or so in a 10k...you should be doing some easy runs for upwards of two hours.

Good Luck

Thanks for the replies!

One of my real-life good friends Markc7 (who posts here) is a "real" runner (and a really good one too, he's doing a 100 mile ultra this weekend!) and he's been helping me out with tips and says he'll tell me what to do to get fast once I've gotten accustomed to doing the 5k. So I'm thinking that will be soon!

I also ran with my dad last weekend who has been running for about seven years and he says my form is really good... which is cool because I haven't really even tried. I have to admit, I'm not crazy about the idea of running with a group. I don't like being on other people's timetables or traveling by car to a location to run. Although when Mark and his wife wendy move down to my neighbourhood in August I imagine they might let me join them sometimes if I'm fast enough. Wendy's also an ultramarathoner. That will be awesome.

But yeah, now that I'm starting to get the hang of it I should look into some training-type stuff. I know nothing more than "put on shoes, go out and run." I did pick up some nice gear on the weekend at the health and fitness expo that was going on.

Thanks for the replies!

One of my real-life good friends Markc7 (who posts here) is a "real" runner (and a really good one too, he's doing a 100 mile ultra this weekend!) and he's been helping me out with tips and says he'll tell me what to do to get fast once I've gotten accustomed to doing the 5k. So I'm thinking that will be soon!

I also ran with my dad last weekend who has been running for about seven years and he says my form is really good... which is cool because I haven't really even tried. I have to admit, I'm not crazy about the idea of running with a group. I don't like being on other people's timetables or traveling by car to a location to run. Although when Mark and his wife wendy move down to my neighbourhood in August I imagine they might let me join them sometimes if I'm fast enough. Wendy's also an ultramarathoner. That will be awesome.

But yeah, now that I'm starting to get the hang of it I should look into some training-type stuff. I know nothing more than "put on shoes, go out and run." I did pick up some nice gear on the weekend at the health and fitness expo that was going on.

Great start Pamela.. .make sure you're eating lots of good vegan food...and that you're sleeping good...

that's one of the keys, is train with people who are better then you..

I was training with my friend Donald since November. He's running the 256k across the Gobi Dessert... On June 17th... I haven't been training with him because he's at his peak, and I'm injured...

Great on you though, you're on the right track..

Great start Pamela.. .make sure you're eating lots of good vegan food...and that you're sleeping good...

that's one of the keys, is train with people who are better then you..

I was training with my friend Donald since November. He's running the 256k across the Gobi Dessert... On June 17th... I haven't been training with him because he's at his peak, and I'm injured...

Great on you though, you're on the right track..

Eating lots of good vegan food has helped me to sleep better. My diet is constantly improving, and I've got all kinds of positive peer pressure from friends (some raw foodists locally, Brendan, other vegan friends) to eat well and be a shining vegan example. Same thing with the actual running bit. Most of my best friends run marathons, at minimum (I have several friends who ran marathons today!) My boss is a 12x marathoner. Another coworker has done 7 full ironman competitions. So it has helped me to become inspired! But that's also why I want to do something a little different, and not try to become a marathon runner myself.

Wow, 256k in the desert is crazy! Good for him, and lucky you having the opportunity to train with him. I'm so excited about my friends moving to my neighbourhood, this is really going to help to keep me motivated.

Yesterday I ran the 5k... I am not sure of the time because I accidentally pressed a button on the stopwatch during my run and it screwed it up. bah! Anyway, Todd (bf) came with me but had to stop 2k in. I continued without him. Apparently not long after we separated he said some guy waiting for the bus was totally ogling me in a really pervy way. Todd caught his eye and gave him a look and the guy actually ran across the street as though intimidated. I really hope there aren't too many pervy men out there, or at least if they are that they aren't a danger to me on the days I go alone.

No, no heart rate monitor. Maybe my PT will tell me to get one once she has a plan for me.

On sunday I did my 4k route to avoid the pervy guy and did it in 23 minutes even, my best time so far. Today I did it in 23:30, in much worse weather conditions. Sunday had perfect weather. Today it was only 4C out and very cold wind.

OK I am trying to remember what I've done. I think I was lazy Thursday and did nothing. Oh wait, no I did 1/2h of yoga Thursday evening. This morning I did a 4k run (23 minutes and a few seconds) and I am going to go now and do some weights/crunches etc.

It's like body building "lite."

New record!

Sweet!

yeah!

My dad has me fired up... he insists he's going to beat me at the Fall Colours run!! I reaaaaaally don't think so (his fastest 5k is about 28 minutes) but I need to make sure! Of course I feel bad competing with an old guy...

That's awesome Pamela..

Do you keep track of your split times?

because if you can do a 4k in 23mins.. you can probably come pretty close to beating your dad's time..

Try keeping track for one run even..

Happy traininig

Hi Tasha, I have never kept track of the split times before... until today. Here's what they were:

1k- 5 minutes

2k- 10.5 minutes

3k- 17 minutes

4k- 22.5 minutes

as you can see, I decimated my previous pb on the 4k... 22:25.

do the split times tell you anything?

I don't think my dad runs a consistent 28 minute 5k... last year at a race he did it in 31 something. Mark & Wendy are moving down the street about five weeks prior to the race he says he can beat me at and I'll be training with them leading up to it. So I'm sure to be awesome by the end of that!