Married to an unvegan and what I did to change things! :)

Sooo I have been Vegan for what seems like forever and have been married for what seems like forever as well but I have been married to a meat eater *Gasp*

I tried and tried and tried for what seems like forever to convert the guy - telling him how cute and smart and nice cows are and that chickens and pigs have feelings too etc.. But while he understood he still was reluctant to give up animal products.

And then one day a break through - my husband says to me "Well I would consider being vegan but I want to get big muscles and I don't that is possible if you are vegan." Saddened I left the issue alone, for the moment anyway....

Then the very next day I got a friend request via MySpace from a guy who's name was Vegan Bodybuilder! Talk about fate So I ran to get my husband and had him check out Roberts pictures and this site - I was hopeful that that is all it would take but he much to my dismay he was still chowing down on animals while on lunchbreaks with his co-workers.

So what is a desperate wife to do?

Have Robert fly in for the weekend and educate that very meat eating husband in the ways of Veganism

And now he is Vegan - The End!

Thanks for sharing the story Kate. I'm really glad I could play a positive role in both of your lives, and thanks so much for having me visit out East! I had a great time and I look forward to playing "host" when you come out to Portland.

Awesome story.

I'll let you in on a little secret though... it probably would have gotten through to him sooner if you'd scared him a little... a LOT, by telling about all the poison (hormones, antibiotics, concrete etc) they stuff into them animals...that it could actually kill him hee hee, and spice it up with some really gross things - anythin gyou can come up with really heh. You know, men kan be a tad...hard-headed at times.

It's probably a bit cruel, but I just love shocking people hahah.

Congrats to your victory and to your husband as well, may you share all your carrots happily ever after , and welcome to the forum!!!!

Just show him forum members like Daywalker who is a world champion bodybuilder...its evidence enough for anyone in terms of the non-ethics route.

Most folks I know resist because of taste preferences.

Yes! Funny thing is that I don't miss the taste of flesh. In fact I absolutely hate it! My supermarket stocks tofu right in middle of the meat section!

Seeing all the meat shrink wrapped drives me crazy. Oh! the smell

Interestingly (well, to me), the smell doesn't bother me at all. Well, except for Spam and tuna, which have always smelled gross to me. In fact, I must admit that I think many meat and dairy dishes smell delicious. I think some would view this as being a "bad vegan," and I hope this isn't offensive. I am ed by the lack of morality, ethics, and compassion involved in the food, not by its smell. I don't doubt for a minute that it's tasty. Then again, I'm sure rotisserie-roasted human babies would smell good and have nice, tender flesh. That's no reason to roast a baby, of course. I recognize this line of thinking may offend both vegans and omnis: the vegan may ask, "How can you possibly enjoy the smell of cruelty?" and the onmi may protest, "But eating a baby is worse than eating a chicken!" And all I can say is, I can't stop enjoying the smells I grew up with simply because my mindset has changed. And I'm not interested in undergoing aversion therapy to do so. Plus, it gives me the ability to say to a meat-eater that I recognize it tastes good, and that's STILL not a valid reason to keep eating meat. And to the omni, I can always quote Bentham. And I can say that TO ME, eating a baby is no more morally wrong than eating a chicken. And sometimes, just sometimes, THEN THEY GET IT.