56 miles in 8 weeks

Hey yo!

I haven't posted in a few weeks due to going on a vacation and having a schedule that has been busier than usual. Unfortunately, I fell off the horse and had some fish in the last few weeks but I'm determined to get back on the right track. With that said, I'm starting an 8 week cycling program that should get me tuned up to be in peak condition for a 56 mile ride in 8 weeks. All workouts are measured by time rather than total distance.

Today was the first day.

10 minute warm up

30 minute ride

stretching

Felt good but I need you guys to help me to stay consistent! Too many times have I given up on a workout when something comes up or I just dont "feel" like it. I'd sure appreciate it.

Honestly your better off lowering your intensity and going for total time. Go as slow as you need to in order to ride for an hour...then try 2 even if you need to go slower. The most important thing is time not distance. Soon after 56miles will be very easy...it may not be a fast 56miles but it won't be hard unless you make it so.

Bicycle riding is the easiest activity for me to stay consistent with once I get into a daily schedule of riding every morning. Keep track of your daily activities on this thread, and I'll check back periodically to see how you are doing. Good luck making yourself ride on a consistent basis!

My bad! This program is actually designed to peak at 9 weeks; not eight. There goes the thread title! Here is a breakdown of the riding schedule. Let me know what you think.

Week 1 - Preparation

Day 1: 30 min

Day 2: 30 min

Day 3: 45 min

Day 4: Rest

Week 2 - Preparation

Day 1: 30

Day 2: 45

Day 3: 45

Week 3 - Preparation

Day 1: 45

Day 2: 60

Day 3: 60

Day 4: 90

Week 4 - Preparation

Day 3: 90

Day 4: 120

Week 5 - Recovery

Day 1: 60

Day 2: 90

Week 6 - Overload

Day 4: 150

Week 7 - Overload

Day 3: 120

Day 4: 180

Week 8 - Tapering and Peak

Day 1: 60

Day 3: 120

Day 4: 60

Week 9 - Tapering and Peak

Day 3: Rest

Day 4: 56 miles

My bad! This program is actually designed to peak at 9 weeks; not eight. There goes the thread title! Here is a breakdown of the riding schedule. Let me know what you think.

I ride for 90 minutes on a regular basis and I can't even begin to imagine riding 56 miles! I would think you might want to increase your daily riding time sooner rather than later.

PS For me 90 minutes = 16 - 20 miles

What kind of bikes are you riding??? Its quite easy for people in even remote fitness to handle 15-17mph on a road bike for over a few hours so long as the roads are flat. Mountain bikes are quite different but road bikes are pretty darn fast.

I did my scheduled ride on Thursday (30 minutes) as well as on Saturday (45 minutes). I tack on another 20 minutes to each ride to account for my warm up and cool down.

Bunnylalu, I extracted the program from the Long Distance Cyclists' handbook. Apparently, it's structured so that your fitness "peaks" at nine weeks so that you're prepared for the ride.

Potter, this week I rode my mountain bike but next week I'll start with my road bike (my road bikes tires were flat and I took it into the bike shop in the later part of the week to have the tires thorn proofed). In all honesty, I know that I could finish a 30 mile ride (maybe more) with relative ease but starting slow and getting use to being on the bike will be nice.

What kind of bikes are you riding??? Its quite easy for people in even remote fitness to handle 15-17mph on a road bike for over a few hours so long as the roads are flat. Mountain bikes are quite different but road bikes are pretty darn fast.

I only ride a 7 speed plus I will be 48 years old July 5

Monday: 35 minutes cycling on my road bike. What a huge difference, I averaged between 15 and 16 mph. The gears on the bike were making some kind of clicking noise that I need to check out and fix. Wish I had all of the knowledge of an experience bike mechanic. Other than that, it was a very easy ride and I'm looking forward to next week when total riding time will be bumped up.

Tuesday: Iyengar yoga. I plan on doing 2-3 classes per week from now on.

Wednesday: Rock climbing class. Ultra forearm workout.

Tomorrow: 45 minute ride with 10 minute warm up and 10 minute cool down = 65 minutes

I haven't been keeping up.

Last Saturday I went on my first ever rock climbing outing. Wow! What a friggin' mindblow. I've never done anything so exhilarating in my entire life.

I followed (of course) the entire time and am pleased to say that I didn't let my nerves get the best of me - meaning - I never fell. By the end of day we had put in about 900 feet of climbing. I'm pretty much hooked now. I bought a couple of books and will continue to attend my Wednesday night class for as long as possible. I can't wait to get out there again.

This weeks training schedule:

Monday: Yoga

Tuesday: 21 mile ride

Wednesday: Interval training on a treadmill/Rock climbing class

Tomorrow: Yoga

Friday: Cycle

Saturday:

Sunday: Cycle

Unfortunately, I think I need to pick either cycling or rock climbing as my primary sport. At this point, I'm leaning towards climbing... I was thinking that I could at least continue to use cycling as my mode of aerobic exercise and interval training to supplement my climbing training. Something like a 2 to 3 day split.

Cycling is something that you can improve at quite a bit riding 2 long rides a week with maybe 1-2 short rides so long as you do other things on the other days. I ride with a lot of guys that have full time jobs and can't ride on weekdays because of kids and a lot of them can just get out of bed and ride 100 miles or race 60 miles. So yeah you can do both...but you may even want to do more cycling in the winter when you can't climb(assuming you aren't climbing indoors).