Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:07 pm 
Have you looked into a velodrome???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:38 pm 
Elephant

veganpotter wrote:
Have you looked into a velodrome???

Nope, not yet. I know there is at least one in London.

We had our second derby practice today. I was still rather tired from Thursday, so even just getting started was rough. As I got going, it got easier, but I was definitely a little tired. Today's practice was harder than the last. I know I will be tired tomorrow. We did falling and stopping drills again, and we also did a bit of scrimmaging. We took part in only a couple of scrimmage jams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:57 pm 
They built a new one a few years ago...its really short(one of the shortest in the world I think...under 140m) which means its not that fast but it feels much faster since the bank is 50 degrees). Portland's is 43degrees and it looks like your riding straight into a wall the first time you ride into it so this one must feel pretty awesome
http://forestcityvelodrome.ca/trackhistory.aspx

Theres also Herne Hill which is much larger and the lacation for the 1948 Olympics
http://www.hernehillvelodrome.co.uk/

There may be more but these are the really special ones that I'd love to ride on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:15 am 
Elephant

Sat, 24 March
Roller derby practice. Sat practice is actually 2 hours long, not two and half. So I did 2 hours of skating, falling, stopping, turning. We also did drills where we had to push or pull another person. My lats are actually sore, and I think it's from that.

We found a flat and are moving on 1 April. Once we move we'll start trying to figure out what to do about working out. Our preference is to buy equipment for home, but that would have to wait until we are employed. It has been a month since I worked out. I feel like my muscles must be melting away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:02 am 
Elephant

Thurs, 29 March
Roller derby practice, 2.5 hrs. Lots of falling and stopping, and some weaving and whipping drills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:48 am 
Elephant

Ah, internet access...

I've been going to roller derby practice regularly.

Now I am employed and will join the gym at UCL, which is the cheapest thing I have found. It's pretty basic (i.e., lots of machines and not tons of free weight equip), but it has a squat rack, so I'm going for it. Can't wait to start lifting again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:57 am 
Elephant

I went for my induction at the gym today (at the UL Union gym, which is actually cheaper than the UCL gym). I was not looking forward to it as I was originally told that I would be trained on the resistence machines. But it actually turned out to be a session with an instructor who asked me about my goals, helped me draw up a plan, and showed me around. He was not at all guiding me towards machines or light weights, and said that it was refreshing and more fun for him that I wanted to do compound lifts, that my goal was to get stronger, and that I didn't say "I don't want to get too big, I just want to tone!"

I was wearing a Vegan Bodybuilding and Fitness shirt. He complimented me on it. He did ask me about protein and I responded that I eat beans, peas, lentils, and hemp protein. He said that with the lifting I was doing I'd need a good amount of protein but that it sounded like I had that under control. So no challenging of my veganism.

He was pretty helpful. He helped me draw up a plan given what they have at the gym. He asked me what I had been doing and what I liked and we used a lot of that, but he also had some other ideas to help me fill in the gaps I had.

My first real workout will be on Wednesday. It has now be four months since I last lifted! So I am going to start with higher reps and reduce the reps and up the weight as I get back into it. I'm going to use this chance to really work on my form.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:15 pm 
Manatee

FormicaLinoleum wrote:
It has now be four months since I last lifted! So I am going to start with higher reps and reduce the reps and up the weight as I get back into it. I'm going to use this chance to really work on my form.

Its great to see you posting again, Formica!! I just noticed you were doing roller derby... my sister just started doing that in March. She says she has "conversations" with her alter-ego now. I'm curious - does your alter-ego have a name?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:31 pm 
How's your resident Filipina doing???