i'm gonna get fast... i hope

ok yesterday I did the 4k in 22:40...

Today I did it in 22:10... and nearly half my route is torn up by construction so it was a little like an obstacle course! Here are my split times:

1k- 5 minutes, 10 seconds

2k- 10 minutes, 30 seconds (5:20)

3k- 16 minutes, 40 seconds (6:10)

4k 22 minutes, 10 seconds (5:30)

Between 2k-3k it's partly on an incline, which probably can partly explain why I take quite a bit longer on that one.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not exercise for three days because I was out of town. Well, I did a bit of swimming in a pool on one day and took a walk on another. This morning I did my run again.

4k = 21:49

splits:

1k- 5:00

2k- 10:00

3k- 16:20

4k- 21:49

today it was 21:29...that's 20 seconds faster than yesterday... and yesterday was 20 seconds faster than my previous best.

I did the route in reverse today. It felt SO WRONG at first, and my first 2k were slower than usual.

1k: 5:18

2k: 10:39

3k: 16:38

4k: 21:29

check out the <5 minutes for my last km!! I don't think I've ever done a km in less than 5 minutes, let alone the last one on my route.

I'm guessing since I did the inclined part between 1 and 1.5 k instead

of 2.5-3 k I was better able to recover.

I'm taking tomorrow off and then running Thursday and Friday. I'm going to take it up to 5k again at that point.

OK

Wednesday I didn't run. Thursday I did 5k for the first time in quite a while, and I did it in 26:25. I had hoped for 27 minutes, so I was quite pleased.

1k: 5:18

2k: 10:30

3k: 16:00

4k: 21:00

5k: 26:25

When I finished I immediately felt aching pain in my lower back and

pelvic region which worsened as I walked 300m home. But after I laid

down for about two minutes it went away and now I feel fine.

My first full 5k was about 31:30, so I've bettered my time by five

minutes.

On Friday I got to 4.5 km and just didn't feel like running anymore, so I stopped. I reached 4k in 21:00 which is good. Nothing was wrong, I just didn't feel like it anymore.

Saturday I took off from exercise, but kept busy Friday night and Saturday with Mark and Wendy, dancing and walking.

Today I did 5k again. No records set: 26:40

1k: 5:05

2k: 10:25

3k: 15:45

4k: 20:55 (that's a pb for 4k)

5k: 26:40

I did unusually good in my middle kms and a faster pace in the first

km than I have been doing lately (since i reversed my route earlier this week). I felt really awesome between 3-4k... the best I felt through the whole run. I didn't experience the back pain this time.

After I went down to my gym and did weights and crunches for half an hour.

Also, today I signed up for my very first race. A 5k of course. Mark's going to be in it too, and he's going to kick my ass. But that's ok, it's only my first race. His time will come.

Hi Tasha, I have never kept track of the split times before... until today. Here's what they were:

1k- 5 minutes

2k- 10.5 minutes

3k- 17 minutes

4k- 22.5 minutes

as you can see, I decimated my previous pb on the 4k... 22:25.

do the split times tell you anything?

I don't think my dad runs a consistent 28 minute 5k... last year at a race he did it in 31 something. Mark & Wendy are moving down the street about five weeks prior to the race he says he can beat me at and I'll be training with them leading up to it. So I'm sure to be awesome by the end of that!

Hey Pamela, split times just tell you how your pace is every km.

It seems like you're going to hard at first and you're burning out at the end. Which usualy leads you in Fatuge. Which isn't good. Warm up for about 20 mins to get your heart rate up.

On long training runs I like to eat a lot of easy digestable fruits. Even sprint runs like 5 km. I still run from 1hr - 2hrs.

The key to at getting fast is take long easy runs, and practice form (so it becomes effortless) and change your runs up every week. Ie one day could be just hills, next day flat, next day drills, etc....

Two weeks hard, then one week of recovery, which is half your distance.

I hope this helps.

Best of Luck Pamela !

Hi Tasha, I don't really have an extra 20 minutes to warm up, unfortunately. I can't even make it to work on time as it is and I already wake up obscenely early. I spend about 10 stretching and walking to my "start line."

I'm going to do some speed training and other exercises starting in about a month, mark says I'm not ready yet for it. For now I'm just trying to do the distance and in a week I'm going to try 6 km. Maybe sometime I'll be able to run for an hour, but that time hasn't arrived yet!

Since my SO is no longer able to run with me (he's undergoing physio for his knee) I am limited as to where I can run. I don't really want to run on secluded pathways (there are many) when I'm by myself, and most other directions involve running across 6-8 lanes of traffic, which I'd rather avoid too.

I appreciate the ideas though, I think once i'm actually at the point where I'm ready to do more stuff I'll definitely incorporate some of your suggestions.

OK I did my first 5k race yesterday with Markc7. It had a couple of small hills, which slowed me down as I haven't gotten to the point in training yet where I do hill training. I finished in 27:04 or something like that, 7th of 11 in my age category. However, the top four finishers were members of a University track team that came from out of town to compete. The person who finished 8th was nearly five and a half minutes slower than me. I started and finished good, but I had a killer stomach cramp from kms 2-4 which REALLY sucked and slowed me down a lot.

yay me.

In that picture it looks like you won the whole damned thing. Go Pamela!!

It sort of does, doesn't it?

This morning I just did a really light 4k run. I didn't even time it. My SO rollerbladed with me. He was running with me before but injured his knee.

Thanks!

I have pulled a chest/shoulder muscle somehow which is making breathing a bit painful. So I've taken a couple days off. I ran today though, very slow, and did 4k in 24:00. Honestly, it's hardly a workout for me now, and I felt like I could run for many more kms. My SO rollerbladed along beside me. We did that on Tuesday as well. Also on Monday we went for a 7k walk together.

I took Sunday off after a night of body abuse on Saturday and fully intended to run 5k today. I only ended up doing 4k because of a few things. Firstly, it was pouring rain when I was getting ready, so I took my windbreaker with me. Once I got out there the rain stopped and it was WAY too hot to wear it, so I had to carry it over my arm and it was really uncomfortable. Secondly, 25 metres out my mp3 player ran out of battery power. I couldn't stand being out there any longer than necessary with my own thoughts and no music so I dragged myself through 4k and then stopped.

This morning I jogged 5k pretty slow, 29:30. I just took it easy because my stomach is very nervy. Todd came with me on his rollerblades. The highlight of the morning was some jackass in a truck who nearly hit me while I was running through a crosswalk. I got to yell lots of profanities at him, which felt good. Somehow he seemed to feel he was in the right and yelled back, but I was wearing earplugs so I didn't hear anything he said. Fucker.

This morning I jogged 5k pretty slow, 29:30. I just took it easy because my stomach is very nervy. Todd came with me on his rollerblades. The highlight of the morning was some jackass in a truck who nearly hit me while I was running through a crosswalk. I got to yell lots of profanities at him, which felt good. Somehow he seemed to feel he was in the right and yelled back, but I was wearing earplugs so I didn't hear anything he said. Fucker.

You should learn how to voodoo and then kick his ass in his dreams!

You should learn how to voodoo and then kick his ass in his dreams!

I don't know much about voodoo... is there anything neat I could do if I acquired that skill? I'm all about multi-tasking.

If you learned it you would become the dark lord of Canada. Not too shabby. You would need to focus though so no multi-tasking.

If you learned it you would become the dark lord of Canada. Not too shabby. You would need to focus though so no multi-tasking.

That sounds kind of evil! I'm really just a cute little ray of sunshine, I swear!

I can be very focused too, when I have something worthy to focus on.

So this morning I just did some upper body weights and crunches. my stomach is still pretty nervous but I managed to do 200 in succession, usually I just do 100. I think maybe the nerves helped mask whatever discomfort I'd normally feel. I was going to do more weights and stuff but felt lazy so I stopped.