A little about Me...

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u304/SJ8_photos/SteveJ-Bananas.jpg

My name: Steve J

Weight: 200lbs

Height: 6'3

I thought I would post a pic of me taken after getting a case of Organic Bananas and let everyone know a little about me.

When I started lifting weights and getting serious with my health I was not a vegan (2 years ago). I was 220Lbs 8 months before this picture and lost all my muscle because I had to stop lifting weights (rotator cuffs).

My rotator cuffs gave out during my 3rd set last rep on the bench; I forget how much was on there - not enough haha (last summer). December 06 I went vegan and then a month after raw and it has been a big adventure.

I have been doing rotator cuff rehab for a while now and my shoulders are feeling great. I am still taking it easy with weights and my goals are to be cut with a decent amount of lean muscle. I no longer want to be huge like before. I am enjoying the sport of road biking and would love to get into triathlons later on.

None of my friends are vegans and when they found out - Most thought I would be the last to become a vegan... I changed because I wanted the best health I could get, but don't get me wrong I love animals and now that I see how the system works I would never touch any animal products. After changing my diet the first week I researched about factory farming and all the crap and lies we get fed by the food industry. I thought I was healthy before having not touched any fast food for over 2 years and I was very wrong.

Right now I am in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada and I am moving to Kitchener in 3 months. Anybody want to make a new friend around Kitchener?

Cheers,

Steve J

Edited by RawSteve

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually a 40lb box of Bananas lasts me 7 days depending on how active I get through the week.

Potter: my Insurance ends on the 16th so I get the best excuse to go riding 24/7 without friends thinking I'm crazy. August I will get my insurance back because I need to move to Kitchener. I can't wait to get a kit on, it will be interesting - as well I think I will shave my legs... I'm thinking next summer we will have to get a road biking crew together for a week of fun!!!

Liz: I will gladly give you some Bananas

• 4 weeks later...

OK OK,

I know Liz I should start posting of my adventures and goals!!!

Right now I am working 12h shifts... In one of the biggest steel makers in the world and the sh*t I am breathing in and getting on me is making me wanna leave.

Here I am the big health freak getting myself into some of the nastiest lines of work available!!! I am going to leave asap... Plus I only have 2 months to work until I move. I am trying not to rant on how bad it is there for a health conscious vegan. I also really hate how I am helping in a small way destroy our planet with the amount of pollution this place makes.

Well My goals are almost like everyone else's - I am wanting to shed as much fat and get into the single digits!!! as well as weigh in around the 180 mark. This will probably take me some time and effort which I am more than willing to get into - the only thing holding me back is my bad shoulders which seem to be doing pretty good right now...

I am also really into road biking right now and would love to compete sometime in the near future - probably next summer!!! I can see myself creating my next training program around cycling. Along with this I shaved my legs and my band members all made fun of me as well as family. haha

I gotta get some sleep for tomorrows shift so G'night everyone!!!

Side note: after Liz and her whip -

Steve

Alright,

I am leaving my job in a couple weeks tops... This makes me feel so much better, job hunting as well...

I have not been on my road bike - this is pissing me off a bit... My free time is all screwed up right now - I will fix this starting now. Besides that my bike is at the LBS getting my free computer put on and my fork cut for a better riding position.

My shoulder work has been doing pretty good and I hope in a couple months I can start my upper body workouts again. My shoulders feel so freaking good compared to 8 months ago, when I had constant pain and could not sleep.

My band is doing really good - writing alot of songs and hope to record in about 4 months... We are not going to mess around with crap recordings and go into a friends studio... I am also going to be ordering a new set of custom drums in the next 3 months if money is still good...

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

OK OK OK,

I am done with that job - Wooooot

My gym area in my basement is all cleaned up and I am back to regular workouts. It's amazing how much better you feel working out in a nice clean and neat area!!! I can't believe I just left weights sitting around everywhere - I know it was because of my shoulders and some people moving their stuff out and putting it in my way... don't yea love blaming things realistically on other things haha... not good practice!!!

My shoulders are amazing right now and they are just getting better and better - I may be able to start hitting the weights hard soon I'm actually looking into body weight training as I would like the ease of using my local park to workout and tuck my weights away for space saving... Plus I know I am just going to spend more money as I run out of weights...

I thought I was in good shape before, yet most of these bodyweight exercises I can't even do one Rep - shows how much I need to improve!!! After a couple months of a weight program I am making - to get myself back to where I was, maybe start up some bodyweight programs.

Liz you better be reading these

Steve

Edited by RawSteve

Liz you better be reading these

Steve

Of course I am!

Personally I think own body weight is to prefer over weights. But that is just my oppinion. It's sooo much kooler and totally impressive to be able to do 500 pushups than 5 rep with 100kg dumbbells, 50 pullups than heavy latpull, awesome plyometric jumps and squats on a big pilates ball (ive seen someone do that) than 1 ton inthe leg press machine.

But that's just me

And the other good thing is - all you really need is yourself! Google for great exercises and tips, and don't forget the negative (resistance part) part of the repetition, that's when you grow stronger...

Thanks Tasha...

So I am going to give up the bench press and just do push ups - working my way up to a weighted vest and different positions. I am loving the pull ups right now as well.

The push up is so underrated and there are so many ways to make the movement extremely challenging. I find it harder to perform most of the bodyweight exercises than to lift some set weights - which makes sense.

As I recall - when I was lifting heavy I still had a hard time with the push up and endurance - even though I loved my circuits mixing cardio and strength training together.

I can really see myself giving up my regular weight workouts I have been making as I go for the last 2 years. I am making up a bodyweight workout with some weights for a little while, work my way to a full bodyweight routine.

I need a couple weight exercises to get my posture muscles strengthened - this will be the face pull and some different shoulder shrug movements. I really want to make sure my back and posture are in perfect strength, balance and alignment.

Side Note - I am fasting today and giving my body a break for the day - if I feel up to it I may carry it on to tomorrow as well. Plus I am stuck with a box of green bananas

Steve

Edited by RawSteve

Potter: The cycling unfortunately has been on hold for 2 weeks - because I have not been making time for it. I will be starting the rides up this week - I miss the bike and can't believe I let work get in the way.

I am job hunting right now - so lots of time to work out... So far I am up to 60km in 2 hours and my riding buddy and I are going to step up the rides every week as he has been busy as well.

I have a new computer - so now I am going to be doing interval training and the good part is not in doors - I hate seeing the same wall for 30 mins of HIIT...

I also have max and average Cadence - which is helping me keep a good pace - the training is way better.

I just finished a simple bodyweight workout including these exercises:

- Pull ups

- Push ups

- Lunges

- Squats

- Wall sit

and added in Face pull with a rubber band...

I know this sounds really simple and easy for most - but I have not been able to even do this without some shoulder pain. Once I get pain it increases through the day and all I can say is it sucks.

Well todays small workout was great - I walked away the hero on this one with no shoulder pain - I have had weight workouts with no pain to little pain but nothing like how smooth and painless todays workout went.

Well I am happy and I am sure gonna change to bodyweight training with added weight later on. I am sure free weights are done for me - I am having to much fun with BW exercises.

Soon it will be time for the fun stuff - did I mention I love making diet and exercise programs. I always make a couple programs switching everything up every 2-3 weeks to keep the challenge and muscles growing. My diet this time around is going to be so simple to put on paper because all I have to worry about is enough calories - who would of thought it was that easy

I can now eat 20 Bananas in a day with ease and 6-7 bananas in one sitting. All I usually need for a day is 2500 calories and 20 Bananas is perfect if I am feeling a mono day. I know my calorie demands might go up - but for now I feel perfect with this amount.

Cheers,

Steve

Holy guacamole Banana Boy that IS a lot of bananas

Too bad you won't make it to VV this year, it would have been fun to watch you eat hah! Or compete with Potter on who can eat the most bananas in one sitting. That guys stomach is one black hole I tell ya.

HAHA well I think you just started a eating war between potter and I IF he wants to come get his A** kicked by my Banana eating Skills!!!!

Wow I gotta say these shoulders have been healing and fixing themselves like no tomorrow. I think the push ups and pull ups I have been doing are helping out alot. I notice my posture is getting better - not that I'm the hunch back of Notre Dame or anything... But a perfect posture and improving the slightest bit goes a long way in healthy shoulders.

Anyone want to send me a fresh Durian????? cause I want in on the glory!!! We can't get fresh at all where I am!!! They all come frozen and dunked in pesticide from what I have heard?

Also anybody know how to change the subject name of posts? can I do that somehow? cause it would be better not to start a new blog...

If you can get down here I'm game for a banana fight

As for the cycling if you've been on the trainer I think you'll find you didn't lose anything and maybe even got stronger. I hate using them so I don't but they are useful. Check the tire wear though. If you've got a not so round spot in the tire it won't roll so fast on the road so its deceiving in terms of the speed you can maintain. I have a flat spot and I've been making that flat spot for so long that I never really slowed down(I have nearly 4000miles on this tire)....anyway I just put a new tire on and its gonna roll so much better when I go out for my ride tonight. I'm only doing an easy ride due to a race I have in the morning but still...it will be much easier to go fast than it was.

DID I mention My shoulders are amazing right now!!! I feel so good about starting up a good workout program!!! 8 months people thats how long it's been since I have been able to do a hard workout

This week holds alot of bodyweight training and a ton of cardio Time to get into the best shape and health of my life!!! I will be training for my career which is a secret - everyone says I am full of secrets - I just say I am good at keeping them

I have been on a watermelon kick lately, eating at least 1 whole one a day and they are pretty big...

Forgot to mention so I am editing... I was out for lunch with my band members the other day and I am the only vegan (one is vegetarian) - so I just go to chat and they like me hanging out with them...

So I am sitting there with my bottle of water - this old lady walks up to our table and asks me if she can buy me something to eat - I said no thank you and got to tell her about me being vegan and what it means...

So she went on saying how I was raised very well and my mother must be proud - is that not the greatest thing ever - there are still good people out there - really got me thinking!!! put me in a Damn good mood that day...

Potter: I would love to come down and eat as many Bananas as I could handle in one sitting!!! and did I mention kick your A** as well

I have been doing easy short rides so far and I have been dogging the long rides... I need to get motivated again with my cycling BIG TIME!!!

Get your butt down here and we can do some banana rides. Race to every store that carries bananas...eat 5 then go onto the next place.

Looks like we got ourselves a Banana eating contest we will have to get this going if I ever get to meet you guys...

Potter: I know you gotta be watching the Tour De France come Saturday I will be getting up early to watch the stages - plan some rides before hand as a nice idea!!!

Veganitaliana: Thanks - I appreciate you reading...

Shoulders still feel good!!!