SiNa's Contest 2007 Log

SiNa94

Haven't done a considerable amount of walking the last couple of days or so... the weather hasn't been that great. But, I did go to the store today, and test drove one of the scales (since I don't have one here at school). Seems I've lost another 14 pounds since the start of a contest (and my weight loss ticker has been adjusted accordingly).

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't done a considerable amount of walking the last couple of days or so... the weather hasn't been that great. But, I did go to the store today, and test drove one of the scales (since I don't have one here at school). Seems I've lost another 14 pounds since the start of a contest (and my weight loss ticker has been adjusted accordingly).

THAT'S AWESOME!!! Congratulations!!

So, about 2 miles today (will probably go out again), 4.7 yesterday, and 2.2 the day before. Of course, that doesn't include all the walking back and forth and lifting I did out at the farm... had to burn up the branches from the trees that blew down.

Other good news, I'm making the best of having to buy books for school. I can buy my books at Amazon for cheaper than at the school's bookstore, and I earn triple points on my Amazon VISA... which means I get a lot of Amazon gift certificates. I got one today and put it toward a L'Equip food dehydrator. Hopefully I can up my raw consumption... I'd like to go 100% raw eventually... and this will make "cooking" in my dorm room easier.

Worked out on the farm on Sunday (2.2 miles roundtrip, plus weeding and wood-chip-carting on top of that). And then I got a 4.7 miles in yesterday in my new hiking boots...

They're not vegan... which is upsetting. I ordered them online from an outlet store, and was under the impression that this particular style was vegan. They weren't... but this particular style did have less leather than most other styles (mostly just little bits for decoration... and I don't know if that's more or less depressing). But I've got a backpacking trip over Spring break that I have to have a pair of shoes broken in for, and after weighing all the pros and cons I've decided to keep the shoes. And I've never been as thankful for a pair of shoes as I am for these...

Something else grabbed my attention though. I don't think I'm eating as much as I ought to be. If I had to guess, I'd say I'm taking in 1500-2000 calories a day (though, I don't count calories, so I don't really have any clue). But I know I feel kind of sluggish, and don't get any of my work done (though that could just be good old-fashioned procrastination). I'm especially fatigued on Sundays when I work out on the farm... the cafeteria here doesn't open until 11:30 on the weekends... but I start work at 11:00. My first "meal" of the day typically isn't until around 3 or 4 o' clock (typically just some nuts and fruit juice, or a veggie wrap to hold me over until dinner). I typically skip breakfast on the weekdays too... or simply have one or two pieces of fruit. I'm intaking my greatest percentage of calories between 5-7pm every day.

I should have my dehydrator tomorrow though... so I can always have dried fruit and stuff around to snack on.

I don't think I'm eating as much as I ought to be. If I had to guess, I'd say I'm taking in 1500-2000 calories a day (though, I don't count calories, so I don't really have any clue). But I know I feel kind of sluggish, and don't get any of my work done (though that could just be good old-fashioned procrastination). I'm especially fatigued on Sundays when I work out on the farm... the cafeteria here doesn't open until 11:30 on the weekends... but I start work at 11:00. My first "meal" of the day typically isn't until around 3 or 4 o' clock (typically just some nuts and fruit juice, or a veggie wrap to hold me over until dinner). I typically skip breakfast on the weekdays too... or simply have one or two pieces of fruit. I'm intaking my greatest percentage of calories between 5-7pm every day.

1500-2000 cals should be enough - but not eating in the am probably isn't the best. I've heard that 5-6 small meals per day (every 3-4 hours) is ideal. Can you maybe have some kind of protein shake that you can make in your dorm room?

• 2 weeks later...
How's it going?

It's going great. I just got back from my backpacking trip on the Lost Coast of Northern California. We covered about 25 miles in 5 days or so. We got back yesterday at about 3:00 in the morning. After I got some sleep and a shower in I walked to the store to do some grocery shopping, so that's about 2 miles there. I don't know if I'll get anything in today... lots of studying to catch up on.

I'd like to start getting some more cardio intensive work in to strengthen up my heart and lungs... but I'm not a big fan of running... especially when other people are watching.

I've gotten really bad about posting (especially if I do anything less than about 4 miles). I did 4.7 miles today, about 2 yesterday, and another 4.7 the day before. I need to start wearing my boots because my walking shoes are too worn out... they simply don't provide enough support... and my feet start killing me.

• 2 months later...

Wow... so I've been pretty absent. And haven't really been consciously doing much in the way of exercise.

I guess... I do get a couple of miles of walking in each day just traveling to and from the farm. And, while I'm working there I often do a lot of heavy lifting and hauling. I have that to thank for the little bit of arm muscle I'm starting to build up.

I practically have the gym to myself... I want to start getting motivated to go (not too much time left in the contest after all).

I also haven't weighed in since... well... whenever the last time I posted my weight was. I keep running into people that I've grown up with, and it blows their mind that I'm in as great of shape that I am. The last time they saw me I weighed in at nearly 300 pounds.

I'm a little anxious to weigh in. I've got to be getting pretty damn close to 200 by now... unless I've gained more muscle than I give myself credit for. 219 the last time I weighed in? I'm definitely lighter now.

In other news... I haven't ridden a bike in probably 6 or 7 years. But I'm really wanting to get a recumbent tadpole trike. Of course, that's only because I can't afford one of these: http://www.go-one.us/. There's a guy in SE Portland that owns one... and I want to take it for a test drive... but it takes so damn long to get to SE by Trimet. o_0 And I don't have the $11,500 to buy one anyways.

Oh well... I'm just hoping I get motivated to really get my ass in gear for these next couple of weeks of the contest so I can be in the best shape for the after shots...

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the gym for the first time today! Found someone to go with... kinda flaky, not good for spotting... but at least got me motivated to go. Need to do more cardio next time...

Lifted lots of weights... working on upper body... I'm going to be sore tomorrow.

Right on, way to finish the contest on a strong note!

And on that note , the trip to the gym isn't supposed to overshadow the 9 miles I walked last Thursday. But... I seem to have given up on posting my mileage. Why post, when I can be walking?

I'm not sure how my slight muscle gain plays into the rest of it all, but I'm sure I'm quickly approaching (or perhaps, have even passed) the 200 pound mark. The lack of scale is really bugging me--you'd think there'd be one in the gym somewhere (but I sure didn't see one).

So many great things to announce... but I suppose I'll save them for another day...

Hmm... I posted a reply... but obviously something went wrong. So, I guess I'll just say this:

I'VE LOST 92 POUNDS!!! I don't think I've been this light since... middle school... o_0

And I walked out to my grandfather's house yesterday... a good 11-11.5 miles. My legs are going to be killing me tomorrow... but it was great while it lasted...

I guess I could mention what I attempted to post last time: I just bought my first set of clothes since 92 pounds ago... it's so nice to have something that fits! All handmade from Etsy.com too! I'm excited...

It sure is nice finally getting some new clothes. I've still got some of the big ones though(keep them for laughs and sleeping). The weird thing is that I'm fine wearing some old shoes but the new ones I buy are 1.5 sizes smaller since my feet don't spread out so much anymore.

Holy crap that's awesome!!! 92 pounds. Wow! Great job, I know you worked really hard get from where you were to where you are now. I can't wait to see your before and after pics.

Well... I've only lost 34 pounds during the contest... which is still a big change, and you can notice the difference. But if you compare pictures from last August to pictures now... It's mind-blowing.

It sure is nice finally getting some new clothes. I've still got some of the big ones though(keep them for laughs and sleeping). The weird thing is that I'm fine wearing some old shoes but the new ones I buy are 1.5 sizes smaller since my feet don't spread out so much anymore.

Yeah... I've noticed that my shoes seem to be fitting a little bigger than they used to. I thought maybe they were stretching out because of all the abuse I've put them through.

I'm hoping to get a new pair from Vegan Essentials soon. All I have are my work boots and my walking shoes (which are a year old, and are falling apart from all of the abuse I've put them through). I'm slowly phasing out all of my non-vegan clothing, etc... like my leather belt and wallet.