VeggieGuy's journey to 11% body fat (3-6months)

Another day at gym. I think I am eating too many fruits! I go through apples, bananas, peaches like they are going out of fashion. So I started upper body exercises again. The shoulder held ok. Although I used lighter weights but did do lot more reps. Still mentally scared so will take it slowly for next few days.

Glad to read your shoulder is on it way to being healed. I get so frustrated taking rest days to recover! How do you feel you're progressing toward your goals?

Well wife thinks that i am looking better already but I think this is going to be a long term permanent lifestyle thing. I am on the right path so I just need to continue. To be honest I don't know how long it will take to reach my goal. 1-2 years of indiscipline cannot be undone instantly. I will reassess in 3 months time--> August 17th

Clever you will hang around right? Just consolidating my support network

My weight is still 71Kg/156lb I think the weight of fat is being replaced by weight of muscles?

VG...congratulations on a return to shoulder work! And glad your wife can tell a diff. Others can see our transformation before we can recognize it ourselves.

What leads you to believe you're eating too many fruits? Too many for what: your budget, your calorie limit, your...uh...bathroom preferences?

You are so right that "1-2 years of indiscipline cannot be undone instantly." I'd also put forth that this applies to our mental state as well as physical. I don't know about you, but I tend to have all-or-nothing thinking, and the mindset that I'm in when I'm "undisciplined" is often "no food plan, therefore, eat whatever and however much I please, whenever I want to," while my "disciplined" mindset is, "Should I be counting the 5 calories from that piece of gum? Or from the sugar-free lemonade? Ooh, I'd love to have some more veggies, but I haven't allowed for the calories." ?!? Stressing about insignificant stuff like that after stuffing myself silly? Hello, it wasn't the sugar-free gum that put on the fat!

But maybe that's just me...

Are you doing any work on the mental aspect of muscling up and slimming down? I know I need to do more on that, but that's the part I usually blow off.

And I plan to hang around...still need to get into the other threads and categories!

Hey Veggie Guy...

Just thought I would chime in as I was thinking about starting my own training blog. I thought I would share since I think we have similar goals and weight issues.

You are definitely working out harder than me and have the added bonus of being younger. I'm turning 38 this year. 5'11" - started at 168 lbs and 19.8% bf. I work with a trainer 2x a week and do cardio [20 min] plus abs and legs in my off days. I get to the gym 5-6 times a week. After 8 weeks, I lost 4 pounds of fat which - if you think in terms of a 1 pound carton of butter - losing 4 of those is decent. I gained 3 pounds of muscle [obviously I could work harder], gained 1/2 inch in my arms and lost an inch in my waist. Obviously, as you continue, the gained muscle will burn more fat. I understand, like you, that it's definitely a lifestyle now; something I have to keep up on every day. I've been eating MUCH cleaner and I love it and feel great. Clothes are fitting better and I'm JUST starting to see some physical changes.

I definitely think at the rate you're going, 3-6 months is realistic. Best of luck.

peace

VG...congratulations on a return to shoulder work! And glad your wife can tell a diff.

Not so quick The shoulder never got back to 100% but it it had stopped hurting. Yesterday I did some machines and it did not feel right. I mean it was not as bad as when I got injured but it's just not right! Maybe 85% normal but when I push it then it goes down to say 70%.

Anyway today I was pissed off so just skipped the gym and took out my bike and went for a long ride. Rode for 1hr 20min. The bike speedometer battery died so need to replace it. Plus need to replace the battery for my Polar heart monitor.

Last summer I was doing 60km/30-40miles on each outing (not regularly)...so maybe I will start doing that regularly. Alternate between gym cardio and outdoor bike cardio.

What leads you to believe you're eating too many fruits? Too many for what: your budget, your calorie limit, your...uh...bathroom preferences?

Calorie angle.

I don't know about you, but I tend to have all-or-nothing thinking....

But maybe that's just me...

Yeah I am like that as well. If I suck a candy then I start thinking about the sugar

Are you doing any work on the mental aspect of muscling up and slimming down? I know I need to do more on that, but that's the part I usually blow off.

What the hell is that? It's hard enough staying disciplined now you want me to do some mental stuff?

Hey Veggie Guy...

Just thought I would chime in as I was thinking about starting my own training blog. I thought I would share since I think we have similar goals and weight issues.

Chime away and feel free to chime again

You are definitely working out harder than me and have the added bonus of being younger. I'm turning 38 this year.

Trying to anyway Motivation is not a big problem currently as I want to get fit and then super fit! Biggest problem seems to be silly things that come in the way like this mini shoulder injury. It's nothing serious but it's preventing me from working my upper body properly! Then this morning my throat got all painful...maybe infection...hurts to swallow. My knees are not the best either so all these small niggles eat you away. As if staying motivated is not hard enough!

I definitely think at the rate you're going, 3-6 months is realistic. Best of luck.

6months if I am lucky!

peace out!

15th June Official start of no upper body exercise to aid complete recovery of my shoulder. I will take 2 week break. Hopefully my shoulder will be fixed for good this time!

So no upper body exercise till 1st of July! Exception would be stomach exercises as they have zero effect on my shoulder pain.

I can concentrate on fat burning for now anyway. Yesterday was a tough session at gym as I had fever and a strong cold. Cardio was hell but I completed it anyway.

Today I went out and got new battery for my bike speedometer. I also went to the Polar watch dealer and got the battery on my Polar watch replaced. Will help me keep track of calories, heart rate ...etc

Slightly knee pain for last 2 weeks. Nothing new as I have had this kind of pain since I was a child.

P.S- Bought some old skool black canvas shoes today ( fashion related nothing to do with fitness). Converse rip offs. Anyway back to drinking soup as this blocked nose is doing my head in!

• 2 weeks later...

I was away from the blog so just updated all the entries. Had two bad diet days! Controlled it in the end by not turning it into a whole bad week

Did 60km bike ride and it was fun. Will do another one soon but weather is shitty in Europe right now. For next 3 months (summer) I will aim to do 2x 70km rides per week. Obviously I wil continue the gym cardio session on other days.

Yesterday was a tough session at gym as I had fever and a strong cold. Cardio was hell but I completed it anyway.

Forgot to ask why you're doing cardio when you have a fever! I hope all's well with you, VG. Don't work too hard.

I was trying to act hard and did not know that it was something more than a minor cold! Anyway I am ok now after a week of flu.

Yesterday at gym I managed to jerk my head backwards while I was doing cardio on the recumbent bike. Don't ask me how My neck became all frozen and stiff! Yesterday and today was such a pain in the @ss...I mean neck It's starting to get back to normal. I am having such shitty luck with these little niggles

I will tell you how it happened. When on the bike I sometimes turn my head upwards and look at the ceiling. Yesterday while I was doing that I decided to turn my neck sidewards and see how I looked in the side wall mirrors....in the process my head fell back off it's own weight. I guess the lean angle of the seat played a part in it. So much for attempted vanity

On the positive side My weight is consistently showing 3kgs less. I was actually touching 73kg when I started all this and now it's touching 69.

So around 7 lb loss. Not a big loss but atleast it's going in the right direction!

Way to go on the weight loss success! 7 lbs is 7 lbs, regardless of how long it takes. And research has shown that the faster people lose the weight, the likelier they are to put it back on...so take heart if you feel it's too slow, 'cause slow weight loss is meant to last!

• 2 weeks later...