College in the USA

Gym hater

There are a few but they will cost about 5 dollars here, and by few I mean possibly 3 or 4 which are complete meals. However there are plenty of things which are vegan that come frozen, like spring rolls, gardenburgers, boca burgers, fake meatballs, soy ice cream, and there are more. I think there are probably more vegan options in the US than in the Netherlands. I didn't mention the refrigerated stuff, also canned vegan things! I recommend you buy a rice cooker. They require an electrical outlet which I'm sure you will have, and they can boil water so you can cook rice, beans, noodles and frozen veggies. That is what I cook out of.

Thanks for the tips. Spring rolls are great I think I will just buy a vegan microwave meal every once in a while. It is mandatory for me to buy a meal plan anyway, so I will have to mail about which food is vegan. I saw potatoes on the menu, so in the worst case I will only eat potatoes

Still have a question, do all fastfood restaurants use vegetable oil for their fries?

And about college. If you fail a test, can you take it again? or do you have to compensate with other grades?

In the Netherlands you can take the test again for about 3 times(spread over 2 years).

Still have a question, do all fastfood restaurants use vegetable oil for their fries?

And about college. If you fail a test, can you take it again? or do you have to compensate with other grades?

In the Netherlands you can take the test again for about 3 times(spread over 2 years).

Hmm....I'm actually not sure about fast food restaurants, but I wouldn't trust them! That's just me!

College I do know about though

The way our courses work here, most class grades depend on 2 to 3 tests. (1 or 2 midterms, and a final) Depending on what you're studying/size of class, etc, there may be other course work, essays, presentations, etc.

Anway, so each of those things would be worth a percentage of your grade. Most often if you fail any given part of a course grade, you can still manage to pass the class by doing well on other parts. If you get a failing grade in the class though, you can retake it another term. In that case both grades will show on your transcript, but if the class is required for you then that's what you have to do. On the other hand, if you know ahead of time that you aren't going to pass a class, I reccomend 'withdrawing', which you can do until almost the end of a course. You receive a "w" as a course grade, but it doesn't affect your GPA, and of course you can still retake it.

All of this is assuming you're going to a public university? Someone can correct me if this is different anywhere else, but I have friends spread out around the country in school, and this is basically how it works for all of us.

Hope this answers your question! I'm sure it's not something you need to worry about anyway!

Thanks for the awnsers. This means I will have to study In the Netherlands I don't do much studying the first time I take a test, and if I fail the test I study take it again after a few weeks. I passed most tests in the first attempt, but some I had to do again.

It is a good thing the final grades depend on more than 1 test. This way if I fail the first one, I study really hard the second time.

Also I have heard that I will be getting a lot of homework, which I am not used to. In the Netherlands there is almost no homework.

I am looking forward to going a way for 1 semester. Especialy since every residence hall has a weight room. I just hope that there is no music in the weight room, becouse I don't like that.

Homework depends on the class...this term I have all science classes, which don't have homework but require copious studying outside of class! English, philosophy, writing classes, etc, tend to have more homework....What are you planning to study?

Oh, and at least at my school, there is no music in the gym

Gym hater - I'm not sure what the rules are in Wisconsin, but in Florida publics colleges the professor has to base your grade on at least 3 tests or assignments. If the professor is nice s/he may give you 4 or more tests/assignments and drop the lowest grade or allow a retake of the lowest, but not all of them do that.

I am planning on doing some mechanical engeneering courses. Stuff like finit elements method, and laplace transformations. I don't know which courses I am alowed to follow, but I saw those on their website. Also I could do some weight lifting for a credit.

Are there any courses you guys recommend?

Also, is a major more difficult than an elective?

Not quite sure what you mean....? An elective is a course that you take that is not required to earn a degree in your major; basically it's a class you take because you want to. There are a certain number of elective credits that you have to fill to get your degree, and you are required to take certain "types" of electives, but within each category you are able to choose a specific class. For instance, I have elective requirements for classes about diversity, but within that I can choose women's studies class, a chicano history class, etc.

Your major is the field in which you're getting your degree, so for you I believe you said that was engineering. You're department courses (the courses about engineering) will undoubtedly be harder than your elective credits just by nature of the degree you're seeking.

I hope this makes sense? I'm sure once you get enrolled you'll get the lingo down - sorry if I'm confusing you!

Oh - and as far as recommending courses - for ME, so far the most interesting classs I've had have been microbiology, exercise science, poetry, sociology, and all political science courses. (and of course anything related to my major, nutrition. Exercise science is my minor)

I'm so excited for you to have this opportunity! I know it's going to be a great experience for you!

Thank for the info, it's clearer now. The major thing does not apply to me, I can just choose any course I want. So I guess I'll just do some elevtives, since they are easier

I still have some stuff to figure, out. I don't know my GPA becouse all those GPA calculators on the internet us a letter grading system. In the Netherlands they just give out grades from 1 to 10(1 being the lowest). But I'll keep on searching.