ORLANDO BLOOM ISNT A VEGETARIAN AT ALL!!

compassionategirl

Okay, people, Orlando Bloom isnt a vegetarian. How disappointing. I thought he was part of the human race that had an evolved sense of compassion. I could have sworn that I had heard him describe himself as a vegetarian in an interview.

I was flipping channels and I came to the Oprah show and it showed him joyously feasting on a hamburger and he described it as

"Good food that we all need once in a while."

And, then, he gave oprah a gift from the "Leather Shop" - a gift of a leather dog leash. In other words, the dead flesh of animal wrapped around the neck of another animal.

How disappointing. I am disappointed not because he is a celebrity, by the way. I would be, and am, just as disappointed with non-famous people who have yet to have a compassion epiphany.

OH MY GOD, THAT CAN'T BE TRUE!

I am disappointed not because he is a celebrity, by the way. I would be, and am, just as disappointed with non-famous people who have yet to have a compassion epiphany.

Would you start a thread for every person that is not vegetarian?

Or even every celebrity that isn't?

I know what you mean, though. I'm always disappointed when i realize most people are not even vegetarian. And i despise vegetarians...

The world would be paradise for everyone and being if everyone just cared a little more and showed a trifle compassion...

Other top finishers in this year’s poll included the Evergreen Dev Anand, Bond man Pierce Brosnan, and Lord of the Rings star Orlando Bloom in the men’s category and Amrita Rao, Victoria Beckham and Avanti Birla in the women’s. Simpoo, Channel [V]’s animated mascot, finished in the top five. Super-hot model Yana Gupta, from whom Silverstone inherits the crown, also sizzled in a PETA India ad when she posed as a mermaid next to the tagline "Fish Are Friends, Not Food."

that is from the peta web site... maybe he was...

It funny, the things we decide deserve enough attention to be posted. Like one of the other posts about strays being used as shark bate (which is awful and anyone who dose it has their own place in hell set aside for them!!!) but what were they using before that? Fish, squid, beef, chicken? Where are the posts damning that? And what about all the worms that drown or are eaten alive every day due to fishing? Where is the save the worm web site

Umm...okay.

Daywalker: I have posted MANY posts that discuss my distaste with "anonymous" meat eaters. I have posted other posts that express my frustration with specific, but non-famous meat eaters (eg. my post entitled something like the time has come for me to retire from the activist seen" where I expressed my disappointment with somebody that I know. Others have as well. So i dont know what you mean by your comment "uh, would you post a post about every other meat eater" or whatever you said. The short answer is, yes, I would and I have - not one post, though, for each meat eating anonymous troll out there. That would take millions and billions of posts!

I posted this on orlando bloom because I remember there was a thread about sexy vegans and vegetarians. I also remember that somebody, maybe me, had suggested that he was a sexy vegetarian. Well, that information no longer is accurate, if it ever even was. The fucking idiot was chomping on a hamburger and described it as "good food we all need once in a while." I posted this to set the record straight.

Madcat: I honestly dont know where PETA gets its "who is vegetarian who is not" information, but it seems that they just label poeple veg without knowing for certain if they are or are not. While everybody here knows that I support many of PETA's great works, I think its careless use of that "label" does nothing to help animals. In fact, it UNINTENTIONALLY sends a message that vegetarianism is just a phase for many or most people (or celebrities, to be exact), and casts it in a frivolous light. or maybe it reveals how flaky celebs are.

My point: PETA is great in many ways, but I take what they say about the "Who is Who of veganism" with a grain of salt. It is ridiculous how inaccurate PETA is about that kind of stuff. Clearly, he ISNT veg. This Oprah show seemed to be a very recent one, and the guy was proudly woofing down a hamburger with no remorse, hesitation or guilt. SEEING IS BELIEVING!!!

And another point is that celebs are in a position to reach a lot of people. For example, if Orlando Bloom had promoted a tasty vegan dish, that would have been better. Millions of people tune in to Oprah, and millions of people heard an anti-naimal message from a supposedly compassion veg celebrity. Celebs can get the message out to a large number of people or "fans." I get disappointed and frustrated when I see any meat eating troll of a celeb push or promote the torture and suffering of animals.

Edited by compassionategirl

Madcat:

I think it is safe to say that many vegans condemn the gratuitous use and exploitation and murder of any animal. I find it just as appauling to use a worm on the end of a hook as I do the use of a cat. I find the whole fishing indusrty, period, to be appaulling,as would most other ethical vegans. I find many things about the society in which we live appauling.

All that goes without saying, so I dont get what your post is about. If I posted on every single animal injustice out there, then I would never be able to step away from my computer. And there are links that address fishing issues, like fishinghurts.com, and there is also a link that was posted some time ago entitled something like "Why not fish?".

The issue of squishing insects needlessly has also been raised, etc. etc.

if you mean that the rights of worms should be fought for just as frequently and hardly as vegans tend to fight for the rights of animals like say pigs, cows dogs or cats, I agree. Unfortunately, though, the plight of a worm will surely fall on deaf ears of a society that hasnt even acknowledged the rights of a "cute little puppy" or a pig or a cow.

if you feel that something isnt getting enough of our "attention" here, by all means, start a thread on it.

I think you are mocking me Alex, but that is okay. I will forgive you

I think veggy meggy is the only one that will be able to relate to my Orlando heartbreak.

Thank you, CG

You're right, i was mocking ...

I was in bad mood yesterday evening, as my day had been crap. Sorry.

When i saw the thread i really thought "who cares". It's just another meat eating sucker. But of course i understand that he was an actor you liked, and were disappointed of him.

Thanks to Richard for explaining it in a way i am able to understand

Daywalker I think I was really awful to say you despise vegetarians. I know I get really frustrated with them when they give the same bs reasons as meat eaters for not going vegan.. like “but I like the way it tastes” or “it would be too hard”. But at least they are making a step in the right direction and I think you should give them credit for that. This is not a contest! It’s about helping animals and we should be greatful for anyone making a change in their life that contributes. Vegetarians are already open minded, so why not try being their friend and just showing them how great a vegan lifestyle can be. In stead of playing some holier then thou crap. That’s not ganna win us vegan any points.

I too was a vegetarian for a couple of years before I became vegan and I think alot of vegans were as well. Let's not bash others on the road to veganism.

Don't worry -- imo no one is hating veggymeggy. We all feel the need to let off some steam at times ....

I think Kourtney still doesn't have internet at her new place...I haven't seen her in a week or so, but I think the only time she's been online is when she's been over here....I need to give her a call! I get so busy and the only people I DO keep in touch with are online!

I think straight to veganism is a big jump for most people....I know it would have been tough for me to do all at once - of course I was also 11 when I went vegetarian...my parents were not exactly supportive of it but I'm pretty stubborn once I get an idea in my head. I'm pretty sure if I'd said I was going vegan then they'd have forced me to eat non-vegan food out of concern for my health, especially being at an age when I was just going through puberty.

I think what bothers me the most is people who claim vegetarianism to be "cool" or "trendy". Shortly after I became a vegetarian, when I was around 13 or so, I knew at least 10 other girls who began saying they were vegetarian. NONE of them lasted more than a month, and most of them cheated while they were still saying they were vegetarian. It was a rebellion thing I think, and a weight loss thing. (13 yr olds are crazy!)

Hi there, crazy kitten

Daywalker I think I was really awful to say you despise vegetarians.

Maybe i chose the wrong word. Contempt?

I think vegetarianism doesn't help animals at all. Telling vegetarians that you think they're "on the right way" doesn't help them one bit to get closer to veganism, i actually think it keeps them from getting there. They think it's okay to be vegetarian only. But by consuming milk and eggs, usually more than average meat eaters, they contribute just the same to animal plight.

I feel that vegetarians should know better. Meat eaters are careless, but at least they are consistent. Vegetarians often (not always) feel ethically superior, i have been mocked by vegetarians often enough for being "too extreme" - they are doing enough for the animals and milking doesn't hurt!

But at least they are making a step in the right direction and I think you should give them credit for that.

As long as they are content with being vegetarian animals are suffering no less.

I don't "hate" vegetarians (i very very rarely do feel hate at all, i'd dare say never. Maybe anger sometimes, but hate? I don't think so), but i would never reassure them that they are doing fine, i keep encouraging them to go further towards veganism. I don't pat them on the shoulders too much (though i congratulate them for giving up meat).

This is not a contest!

Of course not.

It’s about helping animals and we should be greatful for anyone making a change in their life that contributes.

I don't think that being vegetarian contributes to the animal rights idea at all. Rather, i think that

- vegetarians consume in total about as much animal products or even more than meat eaters (more eggs, more dairy, as much leather).

- average consumers who talk with vegetarians agree that veganism is "extreme" and unnecessary for compassionate people

- vegetarianism (?) prevents vegetarians from getting vegan

Vegetarians are already open minded, so why not try being their friend and just showing them how great a vegan lifestyle can be. In stead of playing some holier then thou crap. That’s not ganna win us vegan any points.

It's not about being "holier". I don't play that with meat eaters as well. But it's about arguments, and i find that vegetarians often and more reluctant to listen to reason than average consumers. Many think they are already at the top of development.

If they are really open minded, they will go vegan. I know too many people who call themselves "vegetarian" and still eat fish. (Or gelatine. Or chicken )

I cannot be good friend with people who are not vegan. I am friendly and i don't hate them, i can live aside them, but as long as they knowingly and willfully contribute to the plight they see, they can not be my close friend, or rather, i can not be their close friend.

It's sad that the world is full of egoistic, careless people. It could be a paradise.

I agree that vegetarism is a step in the right direction, but it's only the first and too many people stop the journey after that first step. When i said i despise vegetarians i just meant that it saddens me more that vegetarians argue against veganism than when meat eaters argue against vegetarism.

I hope you understand my point

love and peace,

Alex

I don't think daywalker was bashing vegetarians who intend to be vegan

yes I agree Richard.

Meg, yes I think you are right about jumping straight to veganism, and I think that many vegans were veg first. So even if Kourtney is working on being just veg or strict veg for now, or veg with a lot less milk and egg consumption, then I still give her props!!!! I remember that Kourtney was motivated by cruelty to animals. I am sure that this compassion she clearly has in her will see her through her veg journey to its logical vegan conclusion.

Hope she is well. If you call her, please tell her Compash (Natalie )says hi.

I don't either Richard. My statement wasn't to Daywalker -- it was a general statement.

Don't get me wrong, I too get angry at people that don't want to listen and think they aren't doing anything wrong. But most of these people have been taught that they need this stuff and actually crave it because of additives put in the food by the manufacturers. Education is needed. But damn right I get angry at those that know what they are doing is wrong and don't care ! (Hence the need to let off some steam...)