ORLANDO BLOOM ISNT A VEGETARIAN AT ALL!!

compassionategirl

Wow, very many new posts while i was still formulating mine

EDIT: and another 3!

Okay, one by one

Richard is right

And i don't refer to kids who are vegetarian. I think it's great when kids (mainly girls) decide to go vegetarian! And i also didn't mean people who just got vegetarian.

I was talking about grown up vegetarians the kind Johnathan spoke of.

Meggy, it's totally awesome how early you became vegetarian! I think it's a sign of intelligence and compassion. I wish i would have been so smart and upright earlier!

i have been mocked by vegetarians often enough for being "too extreme" - they are doing enough for the animals and milking doesn't hurt!

Alex, yes i see why you would feel strong negative feelings for those particular vegetarians if they are mocking you with ignorant statements like "milking doesnt hurt." They obviously dont understand that milk is the flipside of the veal coin. SO if veal is appaulling to you and you dont wish to support it, then you shouldnt consume dairy either, as vegans already know. Veal is a by product of the dairy industry. This aint rocket science, so what's up with these vegetarians mocking you and saying milking doesnt hurt? Are they really that stupid and/or uninformed?

Now here is a first for me: I met somebody the other day who told me that they think veal is just about the cruellest "food" on the face of the planet and so he doesnt eat veal. BUt he isnt a vegan or vegetarian and eats other animals (obviously he hasnt made the connection yet to other animals). Anyway, what was interesting and what relates to this discussion is that this particular meat head knew that if he supported the dairy industry he was supporting the veal industry. So, in other words, he was a non-veal eating non dairy eating carnivore.

never met one of those before, but I must say that at least he made the connection between eating baby cows and drinking milk. Hopefully, it is only a matter of time before he goes vegan. He seemed to be a smart guy with common sense and at least an ounce of compassion.

it saddens me more that vegetarians argue against veganism than when meat eaters argue against vegetarism.

yes, I too find that very frustrating and indeed tragic. More tragic than a meat eater arguing against veganism is an ethical vegetarian arguing against veganism.

I dont think there is anything extreme about giving up milk or cheese. Maybe this extreme argument has an ounce of plausibility when thinking about things like sugar or beer or whatever else is not 100 % technically vegan, but making a sincere and honest effort to give up, in addition to meat, eggs and dairy is not extreme and not at all a lot to ask. In my opinion. But still, no matter how inconvenient or seemingly hard it is, iyt something that we must do if we believe that animals have rights not to be exploited for human convenience.

One last thing: Somebody (maybe Alex) said that some vegetarians end up contributing to animal suffering just as much as a meat eater does because they end up essentially replacing the meat they are missing in their diet with eggs and cheese. This was certainly the case with me. When I went veg, I felt all warm and ethically fuzzy inside thinking that I had taken this huge ethical step. But in reality I was no less responisble for animal suffering than a meat eater because I was eating cheese and eggs like they were the only things left to eat on this planet! So what Alex said about this was 100% truth in my own case ( i am NOT speaking for anybody else here - only about me and my experience with vegetarianism. But I have already mentioned this somewhere else. So my cosncience felt great when I was just veg but in reality I was doing very little.

peace

Meggy, it's totally awesome how early you became vegetarian! I think it's a sign of intelligence and compassion. I wish i would have been so smart and upright earlier!

10000% agree!!!!!

Aw, thanks guys People always ask me why I did, and I can pinpoint the exact moment - I was in Seattle at Pike Place with my parents, and we went into an "old-fashioned" butcher shop - the kind that has whole carcasses hanging from the ceiling, and sells ALL types of 'meat' including intestines and tongue and such. I almost got sick right there in the store, and I told my mom then I'd never eat meat again. They didnt' believe me at first, but after a few months they figured out I wasn't kidding.

I guess part of the reason it took me so long to go full vegan though was that I never really ate dairy anyway, so I didn't think about it much. Even when I was really young (like 4 or 5 yrs old) I'd dump my milk down the sink when my mom gave it to me. I wouldn't eat eggs. Pretty much just yogurt and ice cream, which are easy enough to give up especially since there are vegan alternatives.

I guess I"m just lucky that it was so easy for me, I am definitely NOT a 'natural' meat eater!

But the point is of course, not WHEN you become vegan, only that you do. My friend's parents became vegan when they were in their 50's!!! Better late than never right?

I think it's hard what to say about meat-eaters and vegetarians etc. I want them to be vegan, and I want vegans to be stricter, I want myself to be stricter. The more cruel someone is, the more I dislike it; the more I dislike them for doing it, people aren't innocent.

Most vegetarians that I talk to don't realise that milk and eggs are cruel, they just haven't thought about it. Once it is explained to them, they should have the compassion to change to veganism in my opinion. It is a lack of compassion to choose to ignore the suffering that egg and milk farming causes.

So I think they're morally incorrect to drink milk and eat eggs after they know why it's so wrong. But I don't know what I call my feelings towards them. I feel kind of ed and angry about it, but I wouldn't attack someone or anything. The concept of farms frustrates me, and it makes me sad to think that people support them. I am glad that someone is vegetarian rather than a meat-eater. They don't necessarily eat more dairy and eggs, although that would be a trend. But at least they are seeing that there is something wrong with cruelty towards animals, which is a step in the right direciton. But that doesn't mean that eating eggs and milk is a good thing. Veganism is not hard.

Most vegetarians that I talk to don't realise that milk and eggs are cruel, they just haven't thought about it.

Yeah, I was a vegetarian for 11 years, and I fell into that category. In nearly all the time I was vegetarian, I can't recall ever meeting a vegan or being exposed to information about the egg and dairy industry. Once I was, I pretty quickly concluded that going vegan was the only right thing to do. However, even once I made that decision, it was a bit of long process to actually go completely vegan, mainly because of willpower problems and not preparing myself properly for certain situations. I'm not at all proud of that period of time when my actions did not coincide with my conscience, and I wish I could have been stronger.

I wish I had known that eating meat and dairy and wearing leather was wrong sooner. I can't change the past -- no one can (unless you write history books), so try not to beat yourself up over it Liz. Maybe you weren't strong then, but you became stronger and made the right choice. Look to what you are doing now and what you do in the future and stick to your choices.

Most vegetarians that I talk to don't realise that milk and eggs are cruel, they just haven't thought about it.

Yeah, I was a vegetarian for 11 years, and I fell into that category. In nearly all the time I was vegetarian, I can't recall ever meeting a vegan or being exposed to information about the egg and dairy industry. Once I was, I pretty quickly concluded that going vegan was the only right thing to do. However, even once I made that decision, it was a bit of long process to actually go completely vegan, mainly because of willpower problems and not preparing myself properly for certain situations. I'm not at all proud of that period of time when my actions did not coincide with my conscience, and I wish I could have been stronger.

Exactly the same with me. As it says on the vegan society website ( http://www.vegansociety.com/html ) it's a matter of information.

What with some of the information in the media, one can be forgiven for believing such ludicrous myths as "without meat you don't get enough protein or iron or B12" or "without eggs you can't get enough protein" or "without milk you won't get enough calcium" or "without fish you won't get enough EFAs".

Likewise, you can be forgiven for thinking that it's not cruel to mass-produce dairy products and eggs. The companies don't tell you that they keep their cows indoors in uncomfortable, noisy conditions with pumps connected to them for hours on end. They don't tell you that they keep their hens in extremely uncomfortable conditions and that these hens suffer from all sorts of diseases because they don't have enough fresh air and are not allowed to move around. They like to boast about their "free range" hens but often this is no better, with hens being kept indoors most of the time for laying and then being slaughtered once they stop producing eggs at the required rate.

At least we know now and can try to make others aware of the truth.

Hey, I first went veggie when I was 11, but I'm well known for not being intelligent

I didn't even meet a vegan until I was 20, then I stumbled upon a vegan shop (I just went there because someone said they sold cheap herbs, they didn't even know it was vegan!). I picked up loads of leaflets (being a smug top of the heap veggie ). Was I shocked! I'd just never thought about milk, eggs, bees or anything like that! Started me on the path I'm still on today (gave up college doing physics & stuff to go hunt sabbing/demos etc). Now, some 19 years of veganism later, can't say I'm sorry for the course I've taken. I've met some of the nicest people on the planet!

I do have time for veggies. I think often they learn by example, so I happy talking to them, giving them space to think for themselves.

To balance up Blooms burger, my long friend & ardent meat-eater e-mailed me yesterday. She'd watched some meat thing on the net & is going vegan. Up until now she's eaten McDonalds, the lot! There was no convincing her that even veggie was something to try, now suddenly, I've got to go around tomorrow & take her round all the health food shops etc & point out the vegan goods in town This was the most meat eating, meat eater I knew in the world, happy dayz for me that she's seen her way toward veganism.

So, you never know what effect you're having just being about with meat eaters & veggies.

Thought I'd end on a positive