Daywalker's contest preparation log

Day 15 (if i still count correctly ... )

Pull-ups: 45kg for 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 1, 1 reps. Actually it's too heavy for me to use perfect form, therefore i think i won't increase again next workout (will be the last anyway). I calculated the weights based on my strength on pull ups with supinated grip, but pronated are harder as i know now...

Barbell row: 110kg for 3, 3, 3, 3 reps.

T-Bar: 95kg for 3, 3, 2 reps.

Deadlift (stiffed leg): 150kg for 2, 3, 4, 3 reps. I have to admit my grip strength was really limiting

Dumbell-curls on the inclined bench: 16kg for 8, then 18kg for 6 reps.

Barbell shrugs: 165kg for 2, 3, 3 reps.

Pull-overs: 55kg for 5, 5 reps. Quite heavy I've never done more than 40kg dumbell before and this is quite different.

Calves (seated): 110kg for 6, 6 reps. Actually a bit easy for the day. Next time gonna be 120kg.

Abs machine: 70kg for 3, 3, 3, 3 reps. (15-20 secs in between)

I did short breaks between most sets (~60 seconds, some slightly longer, some shorter.).

It's getting heavy! My next cycle is gonna be a bit different, but similar. Starting a bit lighter, ending as heavy, but with pull-ups supinated and barbell row pronated. Shrugs a bit lighter maybe. Calves heavier from the start.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deadlift (stiffed leg): 150kg for 2, 3, 4, 3 reps. I have to admit my grip strength was really limiting

well you know where you need work then

i have noticed that my forearms have grown nicely since doing the grippers, and that they are without a doubt the most dense muscle on my body (its almost like wood, even when cold).

i recommend just getting a couple of grippers, say the CoC#1 and 2, and working with those. obviously other brands will do the same job, but i have been very happy with mine, and they are quite good value.

i used to have probs with grip when my deadlift max was around 165kg, but then since grip training, it is virtually never an issue

you training routine looks excellent btw - not sure i could handle that volume though! lol!

jonathan

Day 16:

Dumbell bench press: 36.5kg for 8, 8 reps (increased reps for compensation of the light weight) .

Inclined Flies: 5, 5 reps with 26kg.

Dips: 1, 2, 1, 1, 1, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1 reps with 50kg. Uff (very short breaks here, around 20 to 45 seconds.

Barbell press: 45kg for 6 and 6 reps.

Upright row: 52,5kg for 4, 4 reps.

Squats: 135kg for 4, 4, 4 reps.

Calves: Standing machine, 140kg for 6 and 6 reps, loaded stretching between each rep for 5, and between the sets for 30 seconds.

Abs: Crunches, side crunches mainly.

Jonathan, you call that high volume? Hmhm, it depends But i guess it's working: maintaining mass while burning fat.

I can't afford grippers at the moment, i'm very short on cash. But someday sure. Until then, the lockout has got to do the job. And other barbell exercises.

Day 17:

Last day of the cycle for split B, tomorrow one more time the chest/squat day.

Pull-ups: 45kg for 6x2 reps.

Barbell row: 115kg for 3, 3, 3, 3 reps.

T-Bar: 100kg for 3, 3, 2 reps.

Deadlift (stiffed leg): 155kg for 2, 3, 3, 2, 2 reps.

Dumbell-curls on the inclined bench: 18kg for 8, then 20kg for 3 reps.

Barbell shrugs: 170kg for 2, 2, 2, 2 reps.

Pull-overs: 60kg for 3, 3, 3 reps. Really heavy Felt completely different from the light work i'm used to in this exercise. The 60kg almost pulled me off the bench

Calves (seated): 120kg for 6, 6 reps.

Abs machine: 70kg for 3, 3, 3, 3 reps. (15-20 secs in between)

And i wore my cool "100% VEGAN" T-Shirt

BUT THAT WAS NOT ALL!

Today i also had a FULL BODY SHAVE!

It took some time, and it feels strange It's especially interesting when putting on clothes afterwards ...

But it was a cool effect - i seemed to grow in front of my eyes as the hair came off. And get more shredded at the same time

Maybe i'm exaggerating a little with my diet, i'm already in shape, but the contest is still a month off. I have to eat more in order to maintain my muscles

Barbell shrugs: 170kg for 2, 2, 2, 2 reps.

Nice heavy shrugs! I love to feel that much weight pulling on my traps.

Today i also had a FULL BODY SHAVE! Shocked

It took some time, and it feels strange Very Happy It's especially interesting when putting on clothes afterwards ... Smile

Nice! Take a swim and feel the water gliding over your skin. It's a very unusual feeling for a man who is used to being hairy.

Nice heavy shrugs! I love to feel that much weight pulling on my traps.

Thanks, but you're not fooling me, Michael! I know for you that's easy weight!

And actually i don't like shrugs that heavy. I like to stay at least at 6 reps, more weight is ... uncomfortable and i don't feel the traps. But that's always with low reps, in any exercise

Next cycle is going to be slightly adapted in the weights, some exercises heavier, some easier. I can't wait

Nice! Take a swim and feel the water gliding over your skin. It's a very unusual feeling for a man who is used to being hairy.

I'm not exactly hairy, but that's a good idea anyway

From now on i'll shave every week until after the last show, so i guess some of my cardio can be swimming.

Day 18:

Busy day

Workout:

Dumbell bench press: 36.5kg for 8 reps, then 40.5kg for 8 (no shoulder pain! Hooray!) .

Inclined Flies: 5, 5 reps with 28kg.

Dips: 2 reps with 50kg and then 10x1 with 52.5kg.

Barbell press: 45kg for 5 and 50kg for 5 reps - shoulders alright!

Upright row: 55kg for 4, 4 reps.

Squats: 140kg for 3, 3, 3, 3 reps.

Calves: Standing machine, 140kg for 6 and 6 reps, loaded stretching between each rep for 5, and between the sets for 30 seconds.

Abs: Crunches, side crunches mainly.

While i was at work, K-oz took some pics:

Pull up:

http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/9093/pullup3fj.jpg

Dips:

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/4975/dips5rt.jpg

Between the Dips:

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/9399/betweendips8mv.jpg

Speaking of veins: http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/8435/dips19qy.th.jpg Bench press:http://img323.imageshack.us/img323/6360/bench9rp.th.jpg

Dips bare chested: http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/9425/baredips9ww.th.jpg Dips front:http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/3088/dipsfront2sl.th.jpg

Now get away with that camera! http://img322.imageshack.us/img322/9473/getawaywiththatcamera9gq.th.jpg

I think i'm becoming thin thin flat me in this diet...

And we took some pics for the calendar... they did not came out as we had intended, but still okay, i hope...

Day 19:

REST

You can see improvements?

I've lost some fat, right, but i don't think i'm big

But i guess so i'll have to impress the judges by being ripped

There are no leg shots because i didn't want to drop my pants in the gym And because there has to be something new to post after the competition

Awesome Alex!

You are way more ripped than I am and my contest is 2 weeks before yours!

I love the back, the arms, and abs!

Thanks for posting photos, I'll get some taken soon too. In Canada (traveling in general this week) I've been Off my diet a little bit and haven't done nearly the cardio I had hoped.

Great update shots and keep on pumping hard!

-Big Big Fat Him

Thank you Will

Day 24: 45min posing.

Day 25: Unvoluntary rest day

Day 26: Rotator cuff exercises, 25min on the bike.

Now i'm heading for the gym It's the first day of my next weight cycle

Pretty much the same as before, i only change the grips in pull ups and barbell rows. I'll report in three hours

Day 27:

Pull ups, supinated grip: 25kg for 6, 6 reps.

Barbell row, pronated grip: 95kg for 6, 6 reps.

Stiffed leg deadlift: 130kg for 6, 6 reps.

T-Bar, pronated grip: 85kg for 4, 4 reps.

Dumbell curls on incline bench: 14,5kg for 8 reps.

Barbell shrugs: 140kg for 10 reps.

Pullovers, Z-Bar: 45kg for 10 reps.

Calves, seated: 100kg for 12 reps.

Abs (machine): 55kg for 12 reps.

Stretching, Sauna afterwards

That'd be awesome, man!

It's quite far from Bonn, that's true. If it's hard for you to get there, i'll be competing in November also, in cities nearer to Bonn.

Alsfeld, Northeim and hopefully (=if i qualify) Arnstadt/Erfurt.

Would be cool if some vegans cheered for me

i seriously would rip myself off a leg to look like that. Don't know it this saying exists in english, but i guess you know what i mean

wish you good look for your contest but i guess you don't need it!

Edited by lelle

Thanks a lot, lelle! We'll make you look like this or better, just wait (you wouldn't think i was very unsportive when i was 15)

Thanks SeaSiren!

Day 28:

Bench Press: *Jawsmusicinthebackground* I was really anxious how this would turn out After warming up, i did two easy sets of 6 reps with 90kg. No pain. Great! Although 90kg were easy, i think they should have been even easier

Incline bench flies: 22kg for 6, 4 reps (short break).

Dips: 35kg for 5, 3, 2 reps (very short breaks!)

Barbell press: 40kg for 8 reps - no pain!

Upright row: 40kg for 8 reps.

Squat: Warming weights felt easy and comfortable, but the 120kg for 2x6 reps were harder than i thought, esp. in the lower back I hope the deconditioning of 9 days wasn't too long...

Calves, standing: 110kg for 6, 6 reps, loaded stretching after each rep for 5 seconds and stretching in between.

Abs: Crunches and side crunches.

Rotatorcuff: 4 sets each side, 3 exercises, 10 reps each.

The training was harder than expected, especially the dips and squats. But the upright row and bench were easy. I earned myself one of my precious Vega samples into my muesli

Tomorrow back day again

Day 29:

Chin ups (as it's correct - i've learned from Will ): 30kg for 6, 4, 2 reps. Easy

Barbell row: 100kg for 4, 4, 4 reps.

SL Deadlift: 135kg for 6, 6 reps.

T-Bar: 90kg for 4, 4 reps.

Dumbell curls on incline bench: 16,5kg for 8 reps.

Barbell shrugs: 145kg for 10 reps.

Z-Bar pullovers: 50kg for 10 reps.

Calves, seated: 110kg for 12 reps.

Abs machine: 60kg for 6, 6 reps

It was a great workout, it felt all quite easy except the barbell row. Pronated grip is really harder on that exercise. I got a good feeling in the worked muscles, after the pullovers my triceps felt great for a minute

Day 30:

Good day. Everything felt easier than on monday, though everything was 5kg heavier

Bench press: 95kg for 6, 6 reps.

Incline bench flies: 24kg for 5, 5 reps.

Dips: 40kg for 4, 3, 3 reps

Barbell press: 45kg for 8 reps

Upright row: 45kg for 8 reps

Squats: 125kg for 6, 4, 2 reps.

Calves, standing: 120kg for 6, 6 reps, loaded stretching as always.

Abs: crunches and side crunches.

Forgot the rotator cuffs afterwards

Day 31:

Rotator cuff exercises in the morning, just a few sets.

Chin-ups: 35kg for 4, 4, 4 reps.

Barbell row: 102,5kg for 4, 4, 4 reps. I didn't increase to 105kg as planned, because the 100 on tuesday were quite heavy. But i noticed today the same as on tuesday: the first set is heavy, the second better and the third the easiest!

SL Deadlift: 140kg for 4, 4, 4 reps.

T-Bar: 95kg for 4, 4 reps.

Incline bench Dumbell curls: 18kg for 8 reps.

Barbell shrugs: 150kg for 5, 5 reps.

Pullovers: 52,5kg for 6, 4 reps.

Calves, seated: 120kg for 12 reps.

Abs machine: 65kg for 6, 6 reps.

And here are a few shots we did two days ago that didn't make it into the calendar.

http://img449.imageshack.us/img449/5072/pict1846500x3742pl.jpg

http://img449.imageshack.us/img449/3051/pict1851600x4495fv.jpg

http://img449.imageshack.us/img449/5240/pict1847305x6009up.jpg

Please don't comment on the pants...