Another New Guy

xChrisZx

Hey everybody...

My name is Chris, I am from the Chicago/Indiana area. I have been vegan for almost 4 years (I was vegetarian for 3 before that).

I go on spurts of working out and then not doing it for a month or so.

Right now I am 6 foot and 215lbs. I dropped about 10lbs a month or so ago from doing a 4 day fast and doing some jogging & running. Luckily I have been able to keep it off and not gain it back.

Ideally I would like to get under 200 and eventually start building up some muscle and bulk up a bit.

I am starting to get back on track and hopefully keep it up.

If anyone has any motivation tips to help me keep up with the workout pass them along.

Hi Chris. Welcome!

I have to mix things up in the gym to keep my interest. For 2005 that has been a bit of friendly powerlifting competition with the Vegan Fitness crew. Last year it was racing in triathlons.

Right now I am doing heavy 2-3 rep sets, 20-30 reps total between two compound exercises with max weights. Soon I'll probably lower the weight a bit and work on 6-8 rep sets.

Just pick some new program and do it until you are bored. Then instead of quitting, try something different.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Hey dude, welcome to the forum (do not be afraid of that face, it is awesome). For my own personal motivation, I try to set goals and stick to them. But realistic goals. Then when I achieve them or come close, it feels cool. But what I have found works best is having a training partner, and you will motivate each other. Say one day you don't quite feel like getting up and going to the gym, if you're just letting yourself down, then maybe you wouldn't bother. But if you know you agreed to meet someone at the gym, then you are more likely to go so you don't let them down.

Hi Chris, welcome!

I go on spurts of working out and then not doing it for a month or so.

If anyone has any motivation tips to help me keep up with the workout pass them along.

The most important thing is the consistency. Maybe the classic HST routine would suit you (it's very good), that's 6 weeks workout (parted in 3x2 microcycles) and then 2 weeks NOTHING! That's called "strategic deconditioning", so you've got a perfect excuse for not working out these two weeks

Look here for more details:

www.hypertrophy-specific.com

Good luck,

Daywalker

Hey Chris!

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with Daywalker, the most important thing you can do is be consistent.

For example, I used to take some days off here and there and maybe a few weeks off and in general, sometimes sleep or use the internet instead of train....over the past 8 weeks I haven't missed a single scheduled workout (pat on the back for me) and I've put on about 10 pounds and I'm still really lean.

My workout buddy has also added 10 pounds during that 8 weeks. So all we did was stick to it, no matter what else was going on and we ate well and added 20 pounds between us in 2 months.

Make yourself at home here, we have an awesome crew

-Robert

• 4 weeks later...