Thrive Diet & Fitness Goals for 12 weeks

Its a new personal challenge - 12 weeks of a well rounded fitness routine with a slightly modified version of the THRIVE DIET beginning Saturday, July 14. I'll post the daily exercise/workouts and foods I eat. My goals: end my addiction to sugar & bad fats, lose weight, & gain strength & endurance.

The Thrive Diet by Brendan Brazier published May 2007 has a 12 week meal plan that I will modify by allowing 1 vegan dinner per week (at home or restaurant) and some extra vegies (cooked or raw) at dinner time any time I choose (My vegetarian spouse will freak out if I don't cook him something "normal" for dinner!! Otherwise, he totally supports my THRIVING efforts!)

Exercise/Workout plan: 5 day per week cardio to include hiking, biking, and walking the dogs. Two days per week strength training, hopefully more.

Some of you already know me as the old lady here at VBF - I just turned 48. After a lifetime of bad eating habits and little to no interest in exercising, I started strength training in 1998 only to become very ill in 2001 lasting till 2005. I started back on the path to health and I got 2nd place in the 2006 VBF Summer Challenge. I started the 2007 Spring Contest only to encounter stressful life events (selling our house, moving from Texas to Oregon) that sent me spiraling back to old habits of eating TOO MUCH sugar and fat. Truly, my diet needs a complete overhaul and I'm hoping to achieve that with the Thrive Diet.

Thanks for stopping by! I'll appreciate any encouragement & advise you have to give!

I don't follow the Thrive Diet per se, but I definitely try to incorporate many of its principles into my diet.

Oh, and it's never too late to whip yourself into shape. My boss started marathon running at 50 and 10 years later looks much younger than she did when she started. Good luck with everything.

Oh, and it's never too late to whip yourself into shape. My boss started marathon running at 50 and 10 years later looks much younger than she did when she started.

Now, thats what I'm talking about!!! Thanks Pamela!

DATE: 07-14

Thrive Diet Food: Wild Rice & Yam Pancakes, 4 Apple Cinnamon Energy Balls, Cucumber Pesto Salad w/ Tomato Basil Dressing (spouse said this is the best salad he has ever had!!), Chocolate Almond Smoothie, Almond Flaxseed Burger w/ Sweet Pepper Hemp Pesto

Extras: 1 apple, 1 energy ball, 1 bowl oatmeal w/ raisins & hemp milk

ACTIVITIES moving heavy furniture

DATE: 7/15

Thrive Diet Food:Toasted Apple Cinnamon Cereal w/ hemp milk; 4 Apple Cinamon Energy Balls, Quinoa (substitute for popped amaranth) Hemp Seed Salad w/ Cayenne Dill Tahini Dressing; Almond Flaxseed Burger w/ Sweet Pepper Hemp Pesto

Extras: 2 cups coffee, apple, 2 dates

ACTIVITIES: moving heavy furniture

DATE: 7/16

Thrive Diet Food:Banana Ginger Pear Cereal, 4 apple Cinamon energy balls, Adzuki Quinoa Sesame Pizza, Cucumber Pesto Salad, Mango Smoothie

Extras: none

ACTIVITIES: 2 mile dog walk

DATE: 7/17

Thrive Diet Food:Toasted apple cinnamon cereal w/ hemp milk; Vega energy bar, Strawberry Banana Smoothie, Salad w/ bean sprouts, apple & carrots, fresh corn w/ wild rice, cinnamon plantain chips, herbal tea

Extras: nectarine, asian salad No peanuts & No crunchy noodles

ACTIVITIES: 1 hour hike with the doggies

DATE: 7/18

Thrive Diet Food: Garlic Oregano Yam Fries, cauliflower w/nutritional yeast & sesame seed topping, garlic kale, cucumber/onion salad, banana peach smoothie, almond flaxseed burger

Extras: coffee

ACTIVITIES: nothing special

DATE: 7/19

Thrive Diet Food: Ginger Pear Cereal w/ Almond Rooibos Milk, zucchini chip almond salad, Black Eye Pea Quinoa Pizza w/ sun dried tomato sauce, banana peach smoothie, 2 energy balls

Extras: handful of hazelnuts

ACTIVITIES: 2.5 mile walk, abs: 100 crunches & 50 bicycles

Edited by bunnylalu

Wow ! Your food sounds good! I'll keep you posted on how closely I decide to follow it!

I've been totally shocked at how delicious most of the recipes so far have been - and my husband too! Also, here in southern oregon there is so much local organic produce that I have added fruits and vegies to the official Thrive Diet Menu. I have to admit, I'm not that fond of prepackaged hemp milk on its own, and I doubt I'll ever eat raw kale after yesterday's "green smoothie" incident! However, I am careful to cook on very low temperatures so the vegies are almost raw. The recipes require more time prepping ingredients (sprouting and cooking beans & grains in advance) which will take me some time to get used to, but all in all - I feel fantastic and my energy last longer and is more consistent (after moving heavy furniture last weekend, I was surprised to not be achy-brakey on Monday). Plus, Last night I had ZERO SUGAR CRAVINGS - a first in months (if not years!)

Yeah, the food definitely sounds delicious. Keep it up!
Thanks Kyle! Edited by bunnylalu

Good Luck Bunny,

The food sounds like it would be good.

Thanks Montana!

b]DATE:[/b] 7/20

Thrive Diet Food:Toasted Apple Cinnamon Cereal w/ almond rooibos milk; salad, chai w/ hemp seed milk

Extras: carrot ginger soup; went to an Italian restaurant and had tomato basil pasta with olive oil & garlic - what a waste of good taste buds! So bland compared to the Thrive stuff!

ACTIVITIES: 2.5 mile walk, abs: 100 crunches, 36 bicycles

b]DATE:[/b] 7/21

Thrive Diet Food: Wild rice, quinoa, oregano yam mix w/ tomato sauce, coconut lemon lime drink, 1/2 sequel energy bar

Extras: soy latte; Mexican restaurant: vegan taco salad w/ 2 fresh corn tortillas

ACTIVITIES: moved heavy boxes all day

b]DATE:[/b] 7/22

Thrive Diet Food: toasted apple cinnamon cereal, giant salad w/ sesame dressing, hazelnuts

Extras:soy latte, popcorn

ACTIVITIES: spray painting & moving furniture

b]DATE:[/b] 7/23

Thrive Diet Food: apple, 2 dried apricots, fig, sequel energy bar, green beans, fava beans, squash, salad w/ carrot & sprouted sunflower seeds

Extras: 1 1/2 cups coffee, couscous w/ sesame & nutritional yeast

ACTIVITIES: housework

Edited by bunnylalu

The only way I can handle raw kale is in the form of raw kale salad, after it's been rubbed with salt, mixed with lemon juice, and slathered in avocado dressing.
Okay, I'll try that. Thanks!

Good news: lost 3 pounds the first week

Make sure you slice the kale into as small of shreds as you can make them. Then add like, 1/2 tsp salt and rub for a while. The salt breaks it down and makes it less tough. Then the juice of about half a lemon. The dressing I just improvise on, but it usually has avocado, hemp or flax oil, water (to thin it), lemon juice, garlic, and cayenne pepper.

Congrats on the weight loss! are you hungry at all?

Make sure you slice the kale into as small of shreds as you can make them. Then add like, 1/2 tsp salt and rub for a while. The salt breaks it down and makes it less tough. Then the juice of about half a lemon. The dressing I just improvise on, but it usually has avocado, hemp or flax oil, water (to thin it), lemon juice, garlic, and cayenne pepper.

Not at all - there is no limit on amounts to eat, but I find myself eating less because the food is so filling and you eat something every couple of hours. Thanks for the details on processing the kale.

DATE: 7/24

Thrive Diet Food: toasted apple cinamon cereal w/ almond rooibos milk, peach, wild rice w/quinoa, yam, and tomato bean sauce; energy bar, banana peach smoothie, salad w/ carrot and sunflower seed sprouts w/ EFA oil & lemon juice

Extras: 1/2 cup coffee

ACTIVITIES: mowed the lawn (push mower), picked apricots & blackberries

DATE: 7/25

Thrive Diet Food: 2 dried apricots, 1 apple, energy bar, salad w/ carrot and sunflower seed sprouts w/ EFA oil & lemon juice, 1 fig, bunch of blackberries, broccoli, corn, lentils w/ carrots

ACTIVITIES: unpacking boxes

DATE: 7/26

Thrive Diet Food: banana, energy bar, cacao almond banana smoothie, vegetable crackers w/ sunflower seed pate, lemon sesame crisps

ACTIVITIES: shopping & housework

Edited by bunnylalu

Not at all - there is no limit on amounts to eat, but I find myself eating less because the food is so filling and you eat something every couple of hours. Thanks for the details on processing the kale.

I have found myself eating less because the nutrient-density is so much higher. Well, and the past few weeks have been related to stress too.

I wasn't sure if you were "dieting" per se.

I wasn't sure if you were "dieting" per se.

Yes, dieting in the sense that I want/need to lose weight and have tried McDougall, the Soy Zone, and keeping cals to 1600-1800 - but none of those diets were healthy for me. What I really want is to develop good eating habits and principles to last the rest of my life. I'm hoping Thrive is it - and I hope to get down to a good weight and stay there. I've been chubby all my life - so this will be a real accomplishment

As of today I've lost a total of 6 pounds! Hooray! Plus I read on the cover of a woman's magazine at the grocery store checkout that women who are tired and overweight need more ENZYMES in their diet, and they can get it from RAW FOODS ..... surprise surprise

I'm going on vacation for a week, and will try to stay true to the Thrive Diet as much as possible, but I won't be posting on this forum until next Friday, Aug 3.

Looks like you've been doing great so far with remaining consistent and that you've found a program that works well for YOU! And it's great that you have the self-discipline/time management to do your necessary food prepping. I'll keep checking in!

Beth

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like you've been doing great so far with remaining consistent and that you've found a program that works well for YOU! And it's great that you have the self-discipline/time management to do your necessary food prepping. I'll keep checking in! Beth

Thanks Beth!

I am now officially back from my trip to Portland. The first 3 days of my vacation I had plenty of Thrive foods, but after that....darn those Portland vegan restaurants! I got to meet a bunch of VBF people at the VEGAN VACATION potluck Wednesday night - and on the Tour of Vegan Hotspots Thursday. it was SO COOL!! I totally love vegan bodybuilders!

Back on the Thrive Diet - and daily workouts. Tomorrow I meet with a new fitness trainer - hopefully my Tuesday meetings with her will help me be more consistent with my strength training.

b]DATE:[/b] 8/6

Thrive Diet Food: Peach smoothie, blackberry Pancake, Yam chips, apple, energy balls, salad w/ sprouted lentils

Extras: tofu sandwich, 5 uncle eddie vegan choc chip cookies

ACTIVITIES: 2 mi doggie walk, 13 mi bicycle with hills (2 hills I had to walk up )

b]DATE:[/b] 8/7

Thrive Diet Food: apple banana nut cereal with hemp milk, energy bar, beet sunflower seed pizza, mango peach smoothie, yam chips,

Extras: mocha (with choc hemp milk), 1/4 oz dark chocolate

ACTIVITIES: My first personal training session: 4 sets in 15 minutes: 3 modified pull ups, 5 modified push ups, 12 squats, 15 situps.

SPECIAL NOTE: 26.8% body fat measured with a real electronic devise

Edited by bunnylalu

darn those Portland vegan restaurants!

Even here in the not-as-vegan-friendly-as-Portland Phoenix area, it's hard to eat clean when there are so many taste temptations! I'm getting taken out to dinner in a couple of weeks to a vegan restaurant...chili fries, crab puffs, chicken parm, all those greasy comfort foods I'd never even eaten as a non-vegan are SO DAMN TASTY! So I empathize, AND I congratulate you for a "clean" 1st 3 days! Hope your training goes well.

Welcome back from vacation and congrats on the weight loss!
Thanks Moxie!
it's hard to eat clean when there are so many taste temptations! SO DAMN TASTY! So I empathize' date=' AND I congratulate you for a "clean" 1st 3 days! [/quote'] Oops, congratulations came too soon as I ate a bunch of vegan choc chip cookies must be close to pms....

DATE: 8/8

Thrive Diet Food: beet sunflower seed pizza with tomato, onion, & sprouts, peaches (they are ripe on my tree ) walnut burgers, salad, yam chips, almonds, watermelon, bell pepper, herbal tea

Extras: 1/2 iced mocha (choc hemp milk)

ACTIVITIES: 2 mi walk

DATE: 8/9

Thrive Diet Food: buckwheat pancakes with peaches

ACTIVITIES: