Crystal's Training

Wow! You are an amazing athlete!

I was looking at your training journal - you do a three day split working full body each day?? Or am I remembering it wrong?

You are so lean - I have to ask . . . are you like this naturally? What is your diet like and do you do cardio?

Your arms are simply gorgeous - good work!

Lol Lindsay76, you are too kind!

I basically do a 3-day split based around the three powerlifting lifts: squat, bench, and deadlift. The only one I'd really call "full body" is the deadlift day, works a bunch of muscles that one does. I do fairly high volume for now, but will cut that down with the passing weeks to increasingly high weight and low reps until I peak and will test my 1 rep maxes for those three lifts. Hope that makes sense

I am lean naturally, when I was competing in powerlifting I tried desperatly to put on some muscle (or any) mass to help add weight to my lifts, but was never able to! D'oh.

My diet is okay, could be better. At best I generally eat cold cereal for breakfast, sandwiches or leftovers for lunch, and something with rice/noodles and beans for dinner. Other than that I have a sweet tooth from hell and can't get enough chocolate Silk

Don't really do much cardio, but I have been hiking some lately which is kicking my ass, my cardio SUCKS. My rock climbing doesn't really count as cardio, I do bouldering and I'm enough of a novice that I don't climb long before falling and having to rest before trying again.

Thanks for the compliments and comments, sorry about the longwinded reply Honestly, you seem like a much better athlete than myself.

21 July 2007 - Saturday

DL:

10 x 135 lbs

10 x 165 lbs

10 x 195 lbs

3 x 8 x 215 lbs - weights are getting heavy!

BB Bent Rows:

10 x bar

10 x 75 lbs

f x 95 lbs - God my back is weak

Bench:

10 x bar

10 x 75 lbs

3 x 6 x 95 lbs - missed my benching this last week (laziness is my only excuse), so threw it in today. Happy to get 6 reps at that weight, was a struggle.

Oh, kind late for posting this workout . I hate rows, they've never been a strong point for me, but I'd like to build up my back more to help climbing. Oh, as for climbing, been WAY to hot to climb lately, but I'm hoping to hit it again next week as its supposed to be cooler.

Wowsers sister! Thanks for all the info! I have always been intrigued by this type of workout - I've never had any instruction in power lifting - and don't have a partner - which I think would be necessary . . .

You are more than welcome for the compliments ... they are well deserved - just good to see someone (especially a woman) so lean and well muscled representin' the vegan front!

Take Care!

24 July 2007 - Tuesday

Squat:

6 x pistol (I'll get 7 reps soon!)

10 x bar

10 x 95 lbs

10 x 135 lbs

9 x 165 lbs

9 x 165 lbs

10 x 165 lbs - Wahoo! Much better than last week

Overloads:

10 sec x 225 lbs

10 sec x 315 lbs

1 sec x 405 lbs - okay, almost 1 second, it went up off the pins after much effort, then came right back down

Superset of:

Leg Curl: 3 x 10 x 35 lbs

Leg Ext: 3 x 10 x 35 lbs - one leg at a time

Standing Calf:

20 x 240 lbs

15 x 240 lbs

12 x 240 lbs - really killed myself on the first set so these others weren't so great

*stretching

Felt great to hit more reps on those squats, will up the weight next week.

26 July 2007 - Thursday

Started out the day with a nice hike. Same one as last time, but took 1 hr 50 min instead of 1 hr 40 min, d'oh! Was an awesome morning though That night did:

Bench:

10 x bar

10 x 75 lbs

10 x 85 lbs

2 x 105 lbs - d'oh

3 x 100 lbs - d'oh again

2 x 100 lbs

10 x 85 lbs

Dips:

3 x 10 x bw

Skull Crushers:

3 x 10 x 35 lbs

DB Hammer Curls:

10 x 20s

7 x 20s

6 x 20s

*stretching

Cursed benching , I can get 10 reps at 85 lbs just fine, but add any weight to that and I can barely do a couple! Last week I was scraping for 6 reps at just 95 lbs, and this week I couldn't do crap with any more weight. Oh well, just need to use those little 2.5 lbs plates or something next time. The rest of the workout was great, finally getting up there with dips again

28 July 2007 - Saturday

DL:

10 x 135 lbs

10 x 185 lbs

10 x 205 lbs

6 x 225 lbs

6 x 225 lbs

6 x 225 lbs

Total Volume for DL: 9300 lbs

BB Bent Rows:

10 x bar

3 x 10 x 75 lbs - still hate these!

DB Shrugs:

20 x 40s

20 x 40s

15 x 40s

No stretching, pulled my hamstring a little (but not much) on deadlifts so didn't really feel up to it . Mostly just sitting here wishing I was on the Vegan Vacation again this year

31 July 2007

Squat:

10 x bar

7 x pistol sqts - stupid balance, these are hard!

10 x 95 lbs

10 x 135 lbs

6 x 175 lbs

6 x 175 lbs

6 x 175 lbs - bah, going for 8 reps! D'oh I suck. 6 reps was for next week's 185 lbs, so might just keep it the same.

No SLDL or Leg Curls, hamsting is okayish, but these make it hurt.

Leg Ext:

3 x 10 x 40 lbs

Standing Calf:

3 x 15 x 260 lbs

Silly hamstring being slightly sore still, really cut this workout short - I was in and out of the gym in no time. To much energy lately as well so decided to go climbing!

Called up some friends and went to a canyon that is not even a 15 minute drive away, but it was raining hard there. Just on little cloud parked above the canyon, stuck on the mountain side . Not to be discouraged, we went on to some "Buildering" that was out of the rain. El Paso has a plethora of rock walls that are great to climb on! This one is at an amphitheater in the canyon right by where we were going to climb:

Working the traverse:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/climbing/DSCF0091.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/climbing/DSCF0103.jpg

This one is cool because its my friend resting and re-chalking while still on the wall:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/climbing/DSCF0099.jpg

We also climbed up a part of the wall that led to a balcony, but I got no pictures of that - a little more scarry climbing so high (!), but cool to be able to climb up to the second floor

2 August 2007 - Thursday

D'oh, skipped the gym and went climbing . Should have gone to the gym in the afternoon but I was hurting all over a ton so I took some pain pills and took a nap that ended up lasting 3 hours! Woke-up when a friend called to go climb . Was feeling a bit better by then so how could I refuse? I'll gym it up today

Climbed at Pena Blanca again. Started at a traverse called the Bone Yard, then ended at the Smith boulder in the dark (yay for headlamps!).

The boneyard has a sit-down start that I just can't get for the life of me! I got some humerous video of my attempts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwzJnI5H18o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J26jEycBh-c

Gotta be able to laugh at yourself sometimes

3 August 2007 - Friday

Bench:

10 x bar

10 x 65 lbs

10 x 80 lbs

8 x 90 lbs

8 x 90 lbs

6 x 90 lbs - d'oh! Punishment sets for not getting those last two reps:

1 x 100 lbs

20 x bar

Total Volume = 4880 lbs

Dips:

10 x bw

3 x 10 lbs

4 x 10 lbs

4 x 10 lbs

Skull Crushers:

8 x 40 lbs

8 x 40 lbs - stopped here, was hurting my wrists and shoulders

Hammer Curls:

9 x 20s

5 x 20s

5 x 20s

*stretching

Not a bad day considering everything is starting to hurt again , this is why I don't make definate strength goals!

u]4 August 2007 - Saturday[/u]

DL:

10 x 135 lbs

10 x 185 lbs

10 x 205 lbs - ouch! hamstring hurt after these, bad , but got a video of the set (see link)

15 x 135 lbs

Seated Cable Rows:

10 x 60 lbs

10 x 60 lbs

8 x 60 lbs

DB Shrugs:

20 x 30s

20 x 35s

15 x 40s - really focused on range of motion today.

*stretching

Managed to drag my sorry self to the gym today. A good warm-up helped loosen me up, but the hamstring was killer during deadlifts - didn't make it past the warm-up! Such is life I suppose, at least I got the warm-up in and some video to make sure my form was okay

Man, I wish I was on the Vegan Vacation!

Crystal, just started reading your journal, and WOW am I impressed! You are the kind of athlete I aspire to be...amazingly strong, constantly active, and missing workouts only because you're too busy...doing a different KIND of workout! Thanks for the inspiration.

Crystal, just started reading your journal, and WOW am I impressed! You are the kind of athlete I aspire to be...amazingly strong, constantly active, and missing workouts only because you're too busy...doing a different KIND of workout! Thanks for the inspiration.

Awh, thanks CN . I won't be this active when school starts again at the end of the month though (or maybe I will . . . I'm such an addict!!!).

5 August 2007

Some climbing out at Pena Blanca, but not much because I was by myself (no spotter). Good to get out though

• 1 year later...
Awh, thanks CN . I won't be this active when school starts again at the end of the month though (or maybe I will . . . I'm such an addict!!!).

5 August 2007

Some climbing out at Pena Blanca, but not much because I was by myself (no spotter). Good to get out though

Hey crystal I am not sure how long you have been in slc but welcome. I was working at a Boulder gym for an hour a week in trade for a membership and had a blast. Unfortunately due to lack of time i had to quit. I have only gone climbing outside once and loved it although i found my endurance lacking.

Anywho my point was to say hello and say how awesome it is to meet another person from this board. Let me know if ever you would like to go hiking.