the Asocial Ape's log

well. so far, i've only been to the gym twice - friday, the third, and monday the sixth.

i quit smoking about ten days ago. cravings are all gone.

i've been eating breakfast since i started working out - 1C oatmeal, 2C soymilk, raisins, mexican brown sugar, a dash of salt, and a tsp or three of coconut oil.

i've also been eating more snacks - nuts, dried peas, carrots, etc, and been eating full lunches and dinners (main course, veggies, juice/water, and a side dish of rice (sometimes))

both of my past work outs were mediocre in that a couple sets of each exercise were jacked up b/c i was trying to find my correct weight.

friday was chest and back, and monday, legs, arms, and shoulders.

talking to my buddy at work, he told 2*/week was cool, but to consider doing a full body workout both days. i'm going to try that - going wed morning, sat morning.

my legs and arms still feel fried, so i won't be going today. sat AM, i'll start the new, full body schedule.

here's what plan to do in terms of sets, reps, and weight, based on my performance this past time. i'll be doing them in the order show. if i diverge from this, i'll post that after my workout on sat.

chores, family life, and work allowing, i skate pretty hard for 30 or 40 minutes everyday i don't work out.

even though these weights are miniscule, they are really hard for me - i'm at failure for each muscle group by the last set (it's iffy that i'll get the final rep - if i don't, i rest a sec, and try again, until i get my total reps, even if i'm doing like three one rep sets) so i'll be moving up the weights steadily in short order. god i hope so. that would be awful if i never got stronger.

eta: these are lbs, not kg :P

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/2145/workoutqz5.gif

any advice, comments, or criticism is welcome.

i guess i should state my goals as well.

i want to get stronger, and would be most pleased if i got bigger.

micro managing my diet and exercise is not an option, though.

dietary guidelines like - 'oatmeal for breakfast', or 'have some carbs before the gym, and some protein after', or 'eat as many healthy calories as you possibly can' are all reasonable for me, while 'take 7.6g of iso-levo-3-5-protolumenal fifteen minutes after your work out, and eat a 30/50/20 percent mixture of protein/carbs/fats' is not.

along the same lines, my workout needs to be pretty simple too, and more than three days a week in the gym is impossible. two days/week is do-able, and even the three will be difficult with our current situation.

the focus of our life is animals, and they take a lot of time - both the ones we live with, the ferals, and the ones we address at leafleting and demos.

if i can't get where i want healthwise with doing what i can, so be it.

1C oatmeal, cooked in 2C soymilk, w/ raisins, brown sugar, and coconut oil

6C spaghetti w/ sauce

3 big carrots

cliff bar

2 fake chicken patties on whole wheat bread w/~1/4C veganaise

3 cups coffee

6 cups tea

64 oz water

ginger snaps

some stale corn chips i found in my desk drawer

eta:

3 cups lentils and brown rice, with ro*tel tomatoes

2 12oz light beers

I just wanted to say hi and that I recognize your name from another forum.

heya!

...work on getting more green vegetables into your diet.

the green twizzler doesn't count?!!

you're right. thanks for that. i'm not good at spontaneously choosing many vegetables except carrots. i should probably just add eating them to a schedule.

i had three beers, not two.

also, i forgot to add, i had like 3" of a green twizzler in the afternoon.

I'm always forgetting that extra bit of something naughty! Good for you for fessing up! I also know you from another forum - glad to have you joining us here at VBF. Good luck with your goals

breakfast -

1C rolled oats, cooked in 1C soymilk, 3/4C water, tbs coconut oil, tbs brown sugar, big handful raisins, pinch of NaCl

30oz coffee

morning snack -

fake chicken patty thing on whole wheat bread w/ 1/4C satay sauce

3 large carrots

lunch -

4C lentils and rice with olive oil, crushed red pepper, garlic, onions, and about 6oz Rot*tel diced tomatoes

through the morning - 6 cups tea

no cigarettes :P

ballpark estimate for all the food so far today:

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/1000/nutyg3.jpg

Edited by the Asocial Ape

now if i could only squat, bench, and deadlift my body weight, i'd feel like i've gotten somewhere.

You'll get there soon enough. Just keep training hard and eating alot. A year ago I could not bench press the bar, now I bench over 150 lbs. I started squatting 75 lbs, I have in recent months squatted over 225. Deadlift I don't do so much, though I have pulled 225 several times. I used to be small and weak, and now I think I look about average and am less weak. Still working on getting big and strong though. Set goals, put all your energy into them, and you can achieve them. There are a bunch of people on here who were weak or small at one point who put in the time and energy to build their bodies, and have succeeded. You can too.

couldn't skate last night - it was pouring once i got done with my chores.

today-

oatmeal, coffee, and a quart of OJ for breakfast.

fake chicken thing on whole wheat with mustard for morning snack

5C spaghetti w/ red curry and fried tofu for lunch.

3 cups of tea.

back in the gym tomorrow. supposedly one of the other developers is going to meet me there, so i'll have a partner! yay.

also, my wife is going to join, but she said she's going to do more aerobics than lifting, but that's ok. i'll feel so much better having her there.

it's probably shallow or something, but she gorgeous and so when i'm with her, i feel better about myself.

fake chicken thing on whole wheat with mustard for morning snack

5C spaghetti w/ red curry and fried tofu for lunch.

also, my wife is going to join, but she said she's going to do more aerobics than lifting, but that's ok. i'll feel so much better having her there.

it's probably shallow or something, but she gorgeous and so when i'm with her, i feel better about myself.

Are you eating vegetables on your "fake chicken thing" sandwich?

Are there any vegetables in your curry/tofu dish? Maybe you could mix some nice kale or spinach in there?

Isn't it cool when you have someone who makes you feel better about yourself and you can both feed off of that?

Are you eating vegetables on your "fake chicken thing" sandwich?

mustard seeds are technically vegetables.

Are there any vegetables in your curry/tofu dish? Maybe you could mix some nice kale or spinach in there?

no. but that's a good idea. it's got so much sauce i'd never taste the vegetables.

Isn't it cool when you have someone who makes you feel better about yourself and you can both feed off of that?

god yes! i swear i'm an inch or two taller when i'm with her. i love her so!

(hopefully cindy will read this and i'll get husband points! (just kidding - i really do feel taller when we're together))

went to the gym today. it was good.

my workout was different than i planned previously. i'll post it later.

eta: i seem to have pulled a muscle in the side of my chest. oh joy.

food - oatmeal and 32oz OJ for breakfast

snack - pint of soy milk, builder bar, 1/2 C peanuts, 2 sweet pickles, 32 oz V8, 5oz bag of bbq chips. and a box of coconut water

dinner - 2 sloppy joes on whole wheat, box of frozen spinach, 6C salad w/ tomatoes and broccoli, ~3C unsweetened apple sauce

snack - sloppy joe on ww, and 2 large carrots.

my buddy said i had too many sets/reps on my combined workout. so to do one big exercise for chest, legs, and bis, on each of the two days, and for chest, to leave in the flys.

i read my chart wrong on squats, and where i meant to do 30lbs + the bar total, i put on 30 on each side, and so shot the weight higher this week. last week i was a little worried about remembering the form, and so was lowballing. that made me happy.

bench sucked though, b/c despite bumping it up, as i was only doing flat and not incline as well, i was doing it alone (my partner didn't show till much later), and i could push myself to failure, as i worried about dumping the weights or dropping it on my face. i've got to figure some way to overcome that.

for curls, i concentrated on form, and so was using less weight than i could have if i cheated, but i know that's better in the long run, even if it makes me feel like more of a punk.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/9040/satax2.jpg

i'll be back on wed with a similar workout.

i'm going skating this morning before it gets too hot.

the pulled muscle feels better today.

i'm ordering creatine today, and will begin taking that when it comes.

any suggestions on improving my workout, and especially dealing with the bench issue above, and getting good core exercise (bench, squat, deadlift, curl) sets would be most appreciated.

morning -

sloppy joe on a hamburger

oatmeal

32oz OJ

32oz water

1/4C peanuts

before noon -

soyburger on WW w/ lettuce and tomato

1C peanuts

64oz water

banana

after noon -

5oz bbq chips

lemon blueberry muffin made by insanely good vegan chef, Pamela (http://pamelacooks.blogspot.com/)

24oz light beer

before bed -

2C red curry w/tofu over pasta

damn it! i know i ate more and better than that! i just don't remember what it was.

i skated my ass off for an hour, from 1015-1120. there was a lot of down hill on the way out (but that still takes work), but the way back was ALL uphill.

after that, i spent two hours mowing the yard. that counts as some kind of exercise. it has to.

keeping a food log is hard. suffice it to say, i haven't been eating very well.

not enough veggies, too many chips, and not a big enough lunch. but i have stopped putting sugar in my oatmeal. oh. and i'm drinking too much.

i went to the gym this morning before work. it was good, but my chest still doesn't ache like it should, and my l. forearm hurts from straight bar curls.

my buddy, Joe, says he's going to start meeting me for workouts, and we're going to bump it up to 3*/week.

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/511/wedsj8.jpg

keeping a food log is hard. my buddy, Joe, says he's going to start meeting me for workouts, and we're going to bump it up to 3*/week.
I agree about the food log - I try to keep a small notebook near the kitchen - but still....

Congrats on getting a friend to work out with!

thanks bunnylalu!

---

uh. i ate pretty well today - oatmeal, spaghetti, a head of broccoli, a couple pickles, this sort of shepherd's pie thing with mashed potatoes, lots of steamed veggies, and ground fake meat (call it 'feat'), with nootch, and soy marg. yummy.

could have used a few more cals, though.

i was going to buy a .5kg of creatine mono whatever (the vegan one), but can't spare the money until pay day.

i'm taking tomorrow off to help my DW and get this place finally moved in to. i'm going to go to the gym too, though. i'll get to see what sort of ppl can go to the gym at 1000 (besides state worker lard bricks like me)

i drank too much tonight, again.