Did you ever sprout buckwheat grains?

ljk11

I tend to triple or quadruple recipes when I'm using the dehydrator so I might use different containers than some for sprouting buckwheat. Here's my method:

Soak the buckwheat in water for 6 hours. RINSE WELL with lots of water.

Put in colander inside a larger bowl and cover with a towel to keep out light. RINSE WELL every 6 hours or more often if the weather is very warm. Do this for 48 hours and your should have lovely buckwheat sprouts.

If you have sprouted other grains then be prepared for something a bit different with buckwheat. Rinsing well can't be stressed enough. Otherwise, you'll have a slimy coating on your sprouts and the granola won't turn out quite right.

Couple questions.

How do you rinse every six hours if you're at work? I guess it's a weekend project.

I read in a few places you should only soak buckwheat for 20 min. before sprouting. Not saying you're wrong of course. Did you hear that before?

How do you dehydrate it? On a sheet, til it's dry and crunchy? Do you just eat it plain like that?

Thanks!

I try to make it a weekend project. I have gotten my soaking/sprouting information from various raw foods prep books and a book on sprouting. Here's the info from the book "Sprouts" by Kathleen O'Bannon, CNC:

Soak Buckwheat (hulled, the unhulled is for wheatgrass) for 6 hours, no longer. Sprouting time is 1-2 days. For best results, rinse every 30 minutes for the first few hours. 1 cup dried should yield 2 cups sprouted.

I then dehydrate it for however many hours it takes to get it crunchy. I'm sure you could eat it sprouted but if you're going to make granola or store it for longer than a few days you will need to dehydrate it. There are different recipes for dehydrated buckwheat granola and I've tried it various ways. I've also added nutritional yeast and salt for a savory "popcorn" like snack (dehydrated).

Hope that helped.

The sprouts don't have to be in a flat pan. I recently sprouted wheat and barley in a big bowl. You just have to make sure they're rinsed often and do not sit in water - easier to do in a colander.

When I make buckwheat granola, I just add whatever comes to mind really.

Sweeteners include soaked, pureed dates or agave (or maple syrup if you don't mind that it's not raw). The more you add, the longer it will take to dry.

Flavorings include carob, cocoa, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cardamom, cloves, allspice, ginger, etc.

I don't measure anything but just go by taste.

I started my sprouts last night and today at 6 p.m. I already have a colander full!

it is so cool, all the little tails.

I just rinsed them...so to dehydrate them do I have to wait a few hours or just do it right away?

In the continuing buckwheat sprout saga...I actually ground them in my new juicer and mixed in carrot pulp (from the juice, can't waste any part of my veggies!) and am now making crackers in the dehydrator!!

This was a spectacular failure. Tasted like a cross between sawdust and dirt.

Heather (my wife) surprised me this morning with an amazing breakfast using the sprouted groats. It was from Annie Pho's cookbook.

Basically:

Buckwheat Groats

Goji Berries

Bananas

Peaches

Fig

Put a little nut milk over it and it was heavenly!! Ate it so fast I forgot that I probably should have snapped a pic of it both for this thread and the potter's pot thread!

In the continuing buckwheat sprout saga...I actually ground them in my new juicer and mixed in carrot pulp (from the juice, can't waste any part of my veggies!) and am now making crackers in the dehydrator!!

This was a spectacular failure. Tasted like a cross between sawdust and dirt.

I ALWAYS taste the "batter" before dehydrating crackers. I will assume that you did not season the crackers with salt, lemon, raw shoyu, ect. Just like wheat flour and carrots wouldn't taste good as a cracker, neither will plain buckwheat and carrot without some seasoning.

Additionally, I haven't made crackers out of ground buckwheat groats as a base but I've used other grains. I still usually add some soaked flax seeds. Perhaps you should try different tried-n-true recipes before making some up on your own? Just an idea. I truly understand how frustrating it is to put that much time into a recipe that doesn't work out in the end!