the Asocial Ape's log

ok. i've got a chore list a mile long, so won't be back till monday.

so far i ate well today, and at the gym, i had my best workout yet. i added weight on nearly everything.

i'm beat, so am going to finish lunch, have a beer, shower, and take a nap. then i'm going to knock out some of the big items on my list.

skate tomorrow, then back at the gym on sunday.

Glad to see some broccoli in there!

heh! thanks, pamela.

So how are things going for you?

things are going well down here.

i took friday and today off work to get some stuff done that i haven't gotten to since cindy and i moved in.

i was busy, but it was good to get that stuff out of the way.

i went to the gym on friday and that was good. i go again tomorrow morning. i've settled on Tue, Thurs, Sat for my workouts.

once it cools off a little (~7PM) we're going to go skating which should be fun.

before i do that, though, i've got to weedeat the yard, and rake up some of the N years worth of leaves the last people let pile up in the yard. my wife is a great gardener, but there is so much debris in the yard that she can't get the plants in until i get the ground ready. also, we're hoping that clearing the ground will somehow reduce the mosquito population in the back yard.

hope you get the shoe situation worked out.

Sounds like you're good and active!

This whole active lifestyle thing is so new to me. I was a serious couch potato for like, my whole life. I feel so much better now that I'm doing stuff and being active.

How's your greens intake coming along?

i'm pretty sedentary. but i'm working on changing that. we really have very little time though. with the twenty one animals to take care of, including cooking for them, (currently) three groups of feral cats needing daily care, and a yard and house to take of, along with a full time job, our only free time during the week is late at night before bed.

the weekends are more flexible, and we try to take advantage of them.

i only started skating earlier this year. before that i did nothing for about ten to twelve years.

the green vegetable problem is, ahhh, still a problem. i made taco salad friday and saturday, but other than that, the only veggies i got were in the can of rotel i used to make dahl sunday.

i missed posting for several days, but i'll just skip those and post for today.

i ate well - oats, ficken (fake+chicken) patties, spinach, onions, cucumbers, red curry and rice.

i went to the gym, and added more weight to my squats (i'll finally be using cadillacs for _something_ next time i go in), and to my bench. i'll probably bump up my curl weight next time too.

i was supposed to have a partner today, and so i was going to be able to go all out on the bench and be able to work myself to failure and do negatives, but he didn't show. that was a letdown. i don't know how i'm going to really be able to push myself on bench without a partner. ::sigh::

so, i think i wrote before that my first goal is to bench, deadlift, and squat my body weight.

bench is still months and months away, but i was squatting 125 for my last set on saturday, and i had a lot left at the end, so on tuesday i'm going to put 160 on the bar and see if i can do one rep with that.

i know it's stupid - 'i can lift this amount one time!', what i can do useful work with really means more, but whatever, that's my first goal, and i think i can do it.

also on tues my buddy travis is going to show me the right form for deadlift, so i'll be able to put that in my workout now too.

i've been steadily adding weight to my bench too, but my arms are kind of stuck. i _have_ been adding reps for dips, so that counts as progress, but i want to bump up my curl weight. my left elbow's been hurting me, and i don't know what it's from. i _think_ it was hurt when i did straight bar curls (i've been using the curl bar since), but i'm not sure.

i've been steadily adding weight to my bench too, but my arms are kind of stuck. i _have_ been adding reps for dips, so that counts as progress, but i want to bump up my curl weight. my left elbow's been hurting me, and i don't know what it's from. i _think_ it was hurt when i did straight bar curls (i've been using the curl bar since), but i'm not sure.
You have probably heard this elsewhere, but just in case, remember that resting is just as important as building muscle. 2 days for upper body, and 3 days for lower body is what my fitness training sister told me.

thanks for the tip bunnylalu. right now i'm doing full body workout, tue, thurs, and sat.

i increased my curl weight today, but next time i'm going to see it dumbbell curls don't hurt. it feel like it's something to do with my forearm wanting to rotate a bit in the curl, and me not letting it, it being bound by the pressure against my ribs and the hold on the bar.

some guy was talking smack and got into my head and so i had a kind of sorry day today. nothing felt right and it was hard to concentrate.

anyway, still adding weight, but it's getting a lot harder. also, dumbbell curls didn't work. my elbow is still messed up.

here's what i did today.

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/3497/dbap5.jpg

i did deadlift instead of squats today. i did three sets w/ 100lbs. i could have lifted more, but want to go slow until i get the motion down.

added 5 lbs to my bench too.

i did my curls low weight/high reps to see if that helped with the pain. it didn't but i'm going to stick to that for awhile and see if it works.

ran on the treadmill too. only 15 minutes, but i'll add five minutes each time until i'm up to 30.

Diet can require progressive change. I know I'm not someone who can change everything overnight. A friend of mine who is vegan but kind of junk foody and really big on the coffee and beer went 100% raw cold turkey about three weeks ago... and is doing great. But it suits his personality.

I went to Brendan Brazier's talk on the weekend... I've heard it a zillion times before (he jokes that I should start giving it for him) but it never ceases to give me a bit of a kick in the ass and want to do better. Have you read The Thrive Diet?

(Sorry to food police you... :P I just don't know much about squats and the other stuff you do. )

i go up and down on diet.

usually on days that i drink too much, i eat crappy, and i can feel it the next day.

when i don't drink much, i eat pretty well. there's room for improvement, but i'm never going to be one of those people that eats steamed kale and wheat grass juice for breakfast.

i'm more the salty, greasy, scrambled tofu, with fake sausage patties, and non-wholewheat english muffins dripping soy margarine types.

if i can get two more servings of veg a day, that'll be pretty good. that and cutting out most of the drinking too much, which would have the effect of raising the average quality of my diet appreciably.

i have not read the thrive diet. i haven't even read the thread on it, though i'll go do so shortly.

thanks for the tips and pointed questions.

i go up and down on diet.

usually on days that i drink too much, i eat crappy, and i can feel it the next day.

when i don't drink much, i eat pretty well. there's room for improvement, but i'm never going to be one of those people that eats steamed kale and wheat grass juice for breakfast.

i'm more the salty, greasy, scrambled tofu, with fake sausage patties, and non-wholewheat english muffins dripping soy margarine types.

if i can get two more servings of veg a day, that'll be pretty good. that and cutting out most of the drinking too much, which would have the effect of raising the average quality of my diet appreciably.

i have not read the thrive diet. i haven't even read the thread on it, though i'll go do so shortly.

thanks for the tips and pointed questions.

Believe me, I don't eat steamed kale and wheat grass juice for breakfast. :P I do eat both, but that's usually with dinner. And NEVER on their own.

I like the occasional soy dog myself.... mostly I just focus on adding new and healthy things into my diet and eventually some of the less healthy stuff gets pushed out.

I think that's a great goal- two more servings of veg a day. I got started on the whole being healthier thing back when I was posting daily in a "5-10 a day challenge" thread on veggieboards.

i've had to back down on my weight for pull downs, military press, and flys, as i can do the weight, but my shoulder is starting to hurt. i'm just icreasing my reps instead of weight.

also, my left elbow and now forearm are messed up, even after taking a full week off bis completely. i'm doing hammer curls, high reps, low weight, and i don't like it, but it'll have to do for now.

here's my last work out (the squat/deadlift/leg press are each done on alternating days - i.e. squats one day, press the next, deadlift the next, repeat.)

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/8619/aaaxn9.jpg

i sort of did cardio today. my wife is feeling crummy, so i acted stupid to make her laugh.

i can't dance at all, so me doing it is always amusing.

i 'break danced' all over the kitchen - moon walking, jumping around, ending with me doing the worm, which is me dragging myself across the floor with my toes and shoulders, getting my face and chest covered in cat hair, not undulating at all. it was awesome!

i deadlifted with 145 lbs today. it felt really good 3 sets of 6.

i might need to go to the doctor. my arm is messed up.

i thought it was better, so i did those modified hammer curls the other day, and now, i've got like a string of pain through the middle of my forearm, going from my elbow to the tip of my middle finger. WTF?