As I See It
by Robert Cheeke, Vegan Bodybuilder, July 8th, 2004
In the March 2000 issue of Muscle Media Magazine, Bill Phillips had a story titled As I see it. He sat down in his house, and for five hours he thought of ideas that would be motivating for readers of his magazine. He wrote them down and had them listed in his magazine. I read that story over and over and I decided to come up with 82 of my own quotes, visions, and things to consider when climbing the ladder of success. It took me quite a while to complete my list of quotes and I hope that you find them inspiring and motivating, as I found Bill Phillips' list to be.
Please take the time to allow me to now share with you my views, visions, and the truths I have learned over the course of my 20 years, As I see it...
1. As I see it... When you have a childhood dream that still burns and tugs at your heart when you're an adult, you owe it to yourself to pursue and achieve this dream.
2. As I see it... You really can give a 110% effort towards something that you are truly passionate about.
3. As I see it... Don't just reach for the stars. Grab a hold of one, grasp it tightly, and pull it into your heart and soul.
4. As I see it... We are all capable of living each day with a fiery passion and sense of purpose that radiates in our smile and voice.
5. As I see it... They may never say it, but your parents really are proud of you when you follow your heart and chase your dreams.
6. As I see it... If you want it to be, your heart can be your biggest and most powerful muscle in your body.
7. As I see it... We were all born to “be somebody,” look deep inside your heart to find out who and what you are supposed to be.
8. As I see it... Some of us are fortunate enough to have known what we wanted to be since the day we were born.
9. As I see it... I challenge myself everyday to be the most positive and enthusiastic person I know.
10. As I see it... Dare to be different. Successful people always stand out.
11. As I see it... My brother is my best friend and nothing is stronger than family.
12. As I see it... We all need to have heroes, people to admire and look up to. To find a hero, first look to your parents or older brother or sister. Then look to the people who share the same morals and values that you have, and have accomplished the goals that you strive to achieve.
13. As I see it... Don't be intimidated by people who try to belittle your ambitions. Most of the time they are just jealous of your success or determination to reach the highest peaks of the mountains, and reign over them.
14. As I see it... When backed up against a wall, dig deep, demand excellence, stand tall, and be strong.
15. As I see it... Look in the mirror and stare at your eyes and say, “I can and will be successful.”
16. As I see it... Search for inspiring quotes and put them on the walls of your bedroom. Read them before you go to bed and the first thing when you wake up in the morning.
17. As I see it... The ability to make and keep promises is the key aspect to trust in a relationship.
18. As I see it... Most people are afraid to follow their dreams. The thought of failure is too much for them to handle so they never even try to achieve them.
19. As I see it... Do nice things for people who may be less fortunate than you.
20. As I see it... There is no “I” in “Team,” but there is an “E” for “Everyone.” A team achieves more when everyone contributes.
21. As I see it... When I accomplish a challenging goal it is one of the most powerful and wonderful feelings in the world.
22. As I see it... Before starting a fitness program or diet, know why you're doing it. Have specific goals with deadlines and visualize the end result each night before going to bed.
23. As I see it... Despite what we may think, we are all talented in our own unique way.
24. As I see it... The people who wake up and jump out of bed with energy and enthusiasm are the people who will be smiling all day, go out of their way to help you, and call you by name.
25. As I see it... Your friends may influence your decisions even more than your parents will.
26. As I see it... A vegan diet is one of the best things you can do for your health and the well being of our planet.
27. As I see it... Go out of your way to make an outstanding first impression.
28. As I see it... If in a tense or nervous situation, take a moment to center and ground yourself and make a thoughtful decision. Remember that nothing is as important as it first seems.
29. As I see it... Nobody knows you better than you do.
30. As I see it... The people who put limits on your abilities, goals, or dreams, may not be the people you want to associate yourself with.
31. As I see it... It is worth it to give up all that you now are to be all that you could become.
32. As I see it... When I workout early in the morning, the rest of the day feels so much better.
33. As I see it... After a grueling leg workout nothing feels better than a slow, deep massage on your quads.
34. As I see it... At least once a month, do something for someone who will never know who did them the friendly favor.
35. As I see it... Be someone's best friend and be there when he or she needs you.
36. As I see it... We all have 1,440 minutes each day to accomplish everything on our schedule. We are accountable for prioritizing the decisions we make with our time.
37. As I see it... Make it a goal to be somebody's hero.
38. As I see it... I'd rather have a picture-perfect body than a million dollars in my pocket.
39. As I see it... Your health and well being should be your number one priority, nothing else is more important.
40. As I see it... When lifting weights, nothing feels better than achieving a high point on the bench press with no help from your spotter.
41. As I see it... When going for a run, I pick fresh air, openness, and scenery of the outdoors over a treadmill every time.
42. As I see it... When someone compliments me on my physique, positive attitude, or enthusiasm, I walk on air the rest of the day.
43. As I see it... The words: never, can't, quit, and fail, are not in my vocabulary.
44. As I see it... There is a Tony the Tiger inside of all of us just waiting to be unleashed.
45. As I see it... Most people use excuses to cover up mistakes, but it takes less time to do something right the first time.
46. As I see it... The people who are scared of going on a diet are the people who could benefit the most from one.
47. As I see it... For some people hope is all they have. Encourage them and don't take their hope away, for they will be left with nothing.
48. As I see it... Be open to other people's opinions, ideas, and try new things. One of the best ways to learn is to feed off other people's experiences.
49. As I see it... Nobody had a bigger heart or passion to win than America's Greatest Running Legend, Steve Prefontaine “Pre.” Watch the movies Prefontaine, Without Limits, or Fire on the Track to see what I'm talking about.
50. As I see it... When working out, play your favorite music loudly for an extra boost of energy.
51. As I see it... Whether you know it or not, you are a role model for somebody. Watch what you say and know that you're responsible for your actions.
52. As I see it... Sometimes small setbacks are just blessings in disguise. They enhance your determination and whole-hearted dedication to achieving your goals.
53. As I see it... Always work harder than other people are willing to work. Sweat more, endure more pain, and then reap the rewards of success and achievement.
54. As I see it... Everyday I attempt to consume 4,000 Calories and 200 grams of protein. I don't always reach that mark but when I go to bed at night I know that I did the best I could given my schedule and the circumstances that day.
55. As I see it... I am a Body-for-LIFE Challenge 2000 Winner. “Winners finish and finishers win.”
56. As I see it... When you succeed be proud of yourself and know that not everyone gets to experience the thrill of success on a consistent basis.
57. As I see it... The song How do you like me now? By Toby Keith will be my personal theme song when I attend my first high school reunion.
58. As I see it... Don't be afraid to show emotion. Get excited, get angry, get motivated, laugh, cry, yell, and vent. You will feel so much better after a great release.
59. As I see it... Take time to compliment people every day. Do it sincerely and with no desire to gain anything but a smile in return.
60. As I see it... When it comes down to it, it really is the little things that count most.
61. As I see it... Keep records of your fitness progress throughout your training. Chart all of the food you eat, the exercises you complete, and even the amount of sleep you get each night. Refer back to your records to see where things went right or went wrong.
62. As I see it... We need more people like Bill Phillips in the world. People who live each day with a passion to help other people. The kind of person who will motivate you beyond what you thought was possible and the kind of person who will celebrate your success with you.
63. As I see it... Take risks that could result in Greatness! Wayne Gretsky said, “You miss 100% of the shots you never take.”
64. As I see it... On your birthday thank your parents and celebrate with them. They are the reason you are here and it is their day too.
65. As I see it... Believe in yourself and others will believe in you.
66. As I see it... Remember all the people in your life who helped guide you on your road to success. Thank them sincerely and often.
67. As I see it... The names Lillian Smith, Eric Dazey, Jon Bullock, and Clari Higginson may mean nothing to most people but the mean the world to me. Of all my years in school, these are the teachers who challenged me to get better everyday and whole-heartedly believed in my dreams. The support they gave me was priceless and life changing.
68. As I see it... Dream big with no limitations.
69. As I see it... Be willing to give people a second chance. You'd be surprised how well people respond to another opportunity to succeed.
70. As I see it... Learn to see the big picture. Often times we get tunnel vision and lose sight of the big picture and what we're really trying to accomplish.
71. As I see it... Pay close attention to detail in whatever it is you are doing. Be specific and expect quality from your performance.
72. As I see it... People tell me I'm a perfectionist. They tell me I'm too extreme and that I work too hard. I tell them, that is all I know how to do. I was taught to give my best effort in everything I do and demand perfection and raise the standard of excellence to a whole new level.
73. As I see it... Imagine yourself at your funeral. Ask yourself what you want your family and friends to say about you. How will you be remembered and what impact will you have had on other people's lives? How did you make the world a better place?
74. As I see it... Attend your children's athletic events. There's nothing better than watching your child succeed while absolutely loving the opportunity to play in front of you.
75. As I see it... Celebrate each accomplishment on your way to reaching your goal. Each challenge conquered whether large or small is a positive step to greatness.
76. As I see it... Every day look in the mirror and flex your muscles. Smile and enjoy the sight of a beautiful fit body. If you don't like what you see, find a photo of how you want your body to look and paste it to the corner of your mirror. Be willing to work hard for what you have the potential to become.
77. As I see it... Surround yourself with positive, energetic, successful people and learn from them.
78. As I see it... Every year I want to experience something that makes me say, “this is the best day of my life.”
79. As I see it... Laugh a lot. Laughter will make even the dreariest situations a whole lot more enjoyable.
80. As I see it... Most of us have the tools we need, we're just not sure how to use them.
81. As I see it... The most important job you will ever have is your commitment to a promise you made to someone.
82. As I see it... People ask me why I work so hard and why I have this compassion to reach the top and be great. I respond by telling them, “I work insanely hard because people said I couldn't do it.” When someone tells me I can't do something, or that I'll never achieve my goals and visions, I am determined to prove them wrong.
It is my sincere desire that the words I have shared with you today have touched your heart and inspired you to be your very best.
A list of quotes composed at 20 years of age.