mega mass oatmeal

xjohanx

i'm one of those people who hardly can live without my oatmeal in the morning so i usually try to come up with some various recepies. since i've been getting way too little sat fats in my diet i thought it was about time to change that. which led to this the latest combination:

oatmeal

cocoa

cinnamon

roasted coconut flakes

hazel nuts

brown sugar (kinda optional).

it tastes like heaven. i usually serve it with oat or rice milk.

what's your favourite oatmeal recepies?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

since i've been getting way too little sat fats in my diet

The body needs saturated fats ? ... maybe we need a little bit, a 9:1 ratio between ins. and sat., like found in veg. oils, nuts and seeds, avocado, etc.

should be enough, right ? While in meat and animal products it's 1:9 for saturated !

Yeah I really like oatmeal in the morning, I usually mix oat flakes and oat bran with one or more of those :

apple and cinnamon Chia with apple sauce or banana, raisins, cranberries or other fruits, maple syrup, soymilk, ricemilk or other beverage...

But most of the time I keep it really simple, only plain oatmeal with nothing, or I boil the raisins in the water that's gonna be use to cook the oat flakes, so it adds some natural sugar.

since i've been getting way too little sat fats in my diet

The body needs saturated fats ? ... maybe we need a little bit, a 9:1 ratio between ins. and sat., like found in veg. oils, nuts and seeds, avocado, etc.

should be enough, right ? While in meat and animal products it's 1:9 for saturated !

sat fats are supposed to be good for t-levels which is awesome for good ole muscles

But most of the time I keep it really simple, only plain oatmeal with nothing, or I boil the raisins in the water that's gonna be use to cook the oat flakes, so it adds some natural sugar.

cool idea! usually i'm lazy and make my oatmeal in the microwave but if i don't i will totally try this! thanks

cool idea! usually i'm lazy and make my oatmeal in the microwave but if i don't i will totally try this! thanks

I don't even cook them. I blend the oats so it's almost oat flour and add a banana, some PB, rice protein and soymilk. Blend it all again and eat.

I don't even cook them. I blend the oats so it's almost oat flour and add a banana, some PB, rice protein and soymilk. Blend it all again and eat.

dude, that's hardcore

when i was bulking like a year ago i blended the oats with chocolate soymilk, cocoa, spi and peanuts. it tasted like snickers

I either just have the oats with cold soy milk, or I put boiling water into the oats and eat them like that. I like them to stay chunky / chewy rather than grind them into a paste. I like it with chopped dates, nummy. Makes it taste like it has syrup in it almost, dates are great

My favourite is to eat the oatmeal with soy yoghurt and lots of chopped fruit. It is also really tasty to eat it with fruit and coconutmilk. Or Fruit and icecream. Just with fruit is also ok .

damn, oatmeal and ice cream?? i must try it now!!

it's amazing ho wmany people hate oatmeal. every day i bring my oatmeal to work. just oats cinnimon and raw almonds and everyday SOMEONE comes up to me and is totally weirded out that i eat oatmeal. bizarre. how ca nsomeone not like OATS!

then i come to this forum and i feel better. all hail oatmeal.

it's amazing ho wmany people hate oatmeal. every day i bring my oatmeal to work. just oats cinnimon and raw almonds and everyday SOMEONE comes up to me and is totally weirded out that i eat oatmeal. bizarre. how ca nsomeone not like OATS!

I guess they find weird everything that is different. What do they eat, sandwiches with meat and cheese ?

sat fats are supposed to be good for t-levels which is awesome for good ole muscles

This is true. However, saturated fats are not essential, just as cholesterol is not essential - your body makes them. Eating more will not increase your testosterone levels. The only essential fats (those that we need but cannot synthesize) are the omega 6 and omega 3 fatty acids. Mono-unsaturated fats, sometimes referred to as oleic or omega 9 are not essential since your body makes them but you need to be eating enough of the essential fatty acids for the building blocks. It is found in plant sources, such as olives and avocados. However, eating additional mono-unsaturated fats appears to be neutral at the least and beneficial in some aspects.

If you are on a very low fat diet, then you risk fatty acids deficiencies - both essential and non-essential.

And getting back to oats - we like any form of them in this house!

if they hate let em hate and watch the oatmeals pile up

here almost everyones seems to love their oats. except raw foodist i guess

This is true. However, saturated fats are not essential, just as cholesterol is not essential - your body makes them. Eating more will not increase your testosterone levels. The only essential fats (those that we need but cannot synthesize) are the omega 6 and omega 3 fatty acids. Mono-unsaturated fats, sometimes referred to as oleic or omega 9 are not essential since your body makes them but you need to be eating enough of the essential fatty acids for the building blocks. It is found in plant sources, such as olives and avocados. However, eating additional mono-unsaturated fats appears to be neutral at the least and beneficial in some aspects.

seriously? thanks for the info. are you totally sure that you can't boost t-production by eating sat fats and (or hypothetically) cholesterol

Perhaps you could if you were not eating enough of the building blocks for cholesterol and saturated fatty acid synthesis. Of course, this would mean that you are suffering some type of malnutrition and are probably vitamin deficient (fat soluble vitamins).

Excess cholesterol and saturated fat will not increase testosterone levels. If this were true the the US would be a country of people with outrageous testosterone levels. Just as excess protein will not make bigger muscles.

I'm not going to give a physiology lesson in testosterone synthesis. You can google it or read a physiology book - so long as they are good sources. I'm sure there are some things you can do to alter your testosterone levels naturally but I don't believe eating saturated fats will have any effect on a well-nourished body.

• 2 weeks later...
Today I ate a huge bowl of oatmeal (always oatflakes and I add oatbran) with a handful of dried cranberries added during cooking. Then I add slices of 1 pear and 1 banana. Delicious organic breakfast.

For some reason raw oatbran irritates my throat.

I've experienced a similar problem ...

I find that the whole hemp protein powder I get (Nutiva) really irritates my throat, to the point of feeling like I might have a sore throat, after drinking it.

Maybe if the oatbran was cooked into the oatmeal, it would be gentler somehow?

I don't really like hemp protein in my oatmeal though

I've experienced a similar problem ...

I find that the whole hemp protein powder I get (Nutiva) really irritates my throat, to the point of feeling like I might have a sore throat, after drinking it.

Maybe if the oatbran was cooked into the oatmeal, it would be gentler somehow?

That's what I do, I cook it, but less time than the flakes.

I forgot to say I put vanilla (unsweetened) almond milk ! so good.

Oat, vanilla almond milk, and dried cranberries.

I have never tried hemp protean. I find also that often times oils irritate the back of my throat along with bananas and avocados. Basically anything that is delicious. I suffer through it though, because no one is going to take away my snack foods.

• 3 weeks later...

first off, i LOVE oatmeal, too, as mentioned above with cinnamon and almonds (i also throw in stevia as well as on occasion cacoa nibs, goji berries, hemp protein or seeds, banana, strawberries....).

as mentioned above i, too, have it in a shake form, which is really good, kinda like a horchata?

lately i been eating other grains in the above fashion, too, like barley and rye.

but on to throat irritation, perhaps this could be an indication of a food intolerance or allergy?

don't wanna burst your balloon

i believe that among the most intolerated/allegen-forming foods are soy, citrus, nuts, wheat and gasp... gluten (which is in oats)?

now i am fortunate in that i eat all the above and haven't experienced any ill symptoms or effects that i know of or noticed but maybe it's not the case for y'all that have the probs with it...

just an idea to try on...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little bit late here but as I am a wake up to oatmeal person too I just wanted to share my mixes.

I always prepare mine with soy milk. Cinnamon is like sacred, and more recently ground flaxseed. What I put in usually depends on my body temperature when I wake up. It's a little awkward... I know.

In cold days: raisins, dried cherries, peanut butter, perhaps some nuts

Warm days: blueberries, any other berries I have; diced yali pear, apple & kiwi

*Thanks to Emmybear for the peanut butter and all the team of PB lovers who supported her suggestion