Protein Bars

xphilx

Anyone ever tried to make protein bars on her/his own?

Me and some of my friends experimented with some stuff lately but we never got anything really tasty out of it. Yesterday we just put some protein powder into a vegan snickers recipe which turned out as awesome concerning the taste but those are obviously too high in fat and carbs for a daily snack.

It would be nice if you could share your recipes.

I tried making some a few days ago and used oats, protein powder, natural peanut butter and some oat milk... maybe I had the ratio of wet to dry messed up, but they are almost impossible to swallow. You just chew and chew and get nowhere haha. The mixture seemed fine though.. not too wet, not too dry.

I think some more experimenting is in order.

To lower the carbs and fats, try replacing those with stevia, fruits and tofu. Or find a very simple commercial protein bar and try to reproduce it with the list of ingredients. Experiment w/ ingredients you like, tasting while you do it, until desired consistency and taste. Use a mix of both solid and wet sugar (turbinado sugar with agave nectar, maple syrup or brown rice syrup) to bind ingredients together. You can make some sort of granola bars with oats (old fashioned), Rice Krispies, tvp granulates, agave nectar, put in oven at 200F for 30 minutes, add some raisins, stir and crush with spatula to stick everything together and cook 15 minutes. Cut in bars, put in a container in the fridge it will become hard.

I'll try these this week :

Pumpkin seeds and ginger raw energy bars

pumpkin seeds, agave nectar, almonds, dried cranberry, dried pineapple, ginger

I make them similar to brendan's:

Chocolate Blueberry Energy Bars

* 1 cup fresh or soaked dried dates

* 1/4 cup almonds

* 1/4 cup blueberries

* 1/4 cup roasted carob powder (or cacao to make 100% raw)**

* 1/4 cup ground flaxseed**

* 1/4 cup hemp protein**

* 1/4 cup unhulled sesame seeds**

* 1 tsp fresh lemon juice

* 1/2 tsp lemon zest

* Sea salt to taste

* 1/2 cup frozen blueberries

I change a few things up:

1 cup fresh or soaked dried dates

2 Massive Tablespoons of Gemma

2 TB Oats

1/4 cup any fruit ( I like frozen cherries, and blueberries )

1 TB Ground Flax

Juice from 1/2 Lemon

1/2 tsp lemon zest

Sea salt to taste

Pinch of Vanilla

Pinch of Cinnamon

Depending on the flavor im going for i'll add almonds, raisins, cranberries, dried apples, etc.

I process all the dry ingredients first - set aside. Then do all the wet. Add the dry ingredients to the wet after they are processed, and form a thick paste.

Slap it down on a piece of wax paper, and flatten it a bit. Use your hands to form a rectangle, square, decahedron, whatever. I then cut them into small chunks, wrap them in foil, toss them in a zip top bag, and store them in the freezer.

To lower the carbs and fats, try replacing those with stevia, fruits and tofu.

what do you mean exactly by replacing carbs with tofu? i don't get how tofu could be a good replacement for sugar for example, espacially when we talk about taste. i'm sorry if i got you wrong but could you go a bit more into detail here?

i made two different kinds of homemade protein bars during the last two days:

the first ones were pretty simple. i made them out of

30 dates

70g almonds

50g coco rasps

50g protein powder

water

i cutted the dates into small pieces and put them into a blender. it was kinda difficult to get them into some sticky mass but in the end it worked out. then i putted the almonds into the blender to get a powder out of it. i mixed all ingredients together in a bowl then and kneaded them with some water until it all sticked together nicely. i formed five big bars out of it and put them into the fridge forr about an hour.

the taste was good but consistency was too soft in my opinion.

the second ones i made today needed some more ingredients:

200g peanut butter

60ml maple syrup

60g sugar

50g ground soy nuts

250ml soymilk

15g cocoa powder

45g flax seed meal

45g oatmeal

50g protein powder

salt

soy flour

i simply mixed all the stuff and found out that the consistency was too watery, so i added a "egg-replacemt" made of soymilk and soy flour to make it stick together. i kneaded everything untill it was some kind of dough, put it on a baking sheet and then into the over for about ten minutes. shortly after i took it out i was able to cut it into smaller bars.

the result was a nice taste and a good consistency, too. i think a i'll add some more protein powder next time just to make the nutritional value higher in protein.

• 2 months later...

my best recipe so far:

100g peanut butter

120g oatmeal

120g soy granulate

50g flaxseed

50g protein powder

50g soy flour

150g agave syrup

300ml soy milk

i mix it all and put it in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 150°.

delicious! and 200g of protein in total.

my best recipe so far:

100g peanut butter

120g oatmeal

120g soy granulate

50g flaxseed

50g protein powder

50g soy flour

150g agave syrup

300ml soy milk

i mix it all and put it in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 150°.

delicious! and 200g of protein in total.

I imagine it wouldn't be that different with wheat flour instead of soy? And is soy granulate = textured vegetable protein?

Any stats on the serving size and fat/carb/pro?

of course you could use wheat flour instead of soy but that would lower the protein percentage and increase the carb percentage, which is not my goal when i think of protein bars.

soy granulate is that stuff you can make fake ground meat and stuff like that of. i don't know how it's called over there and i couldn't find any good pics. it comes in small, crunchy pieces and i put it into my bars for giving them more "bite".

the protein bars have in total:

2505 kcal

93,37g fat

230,14g carbs

191,76g protein

per 100g:

266 kcal

10g fat

24g carbs

20g protein