Tempeh - gotta cook it right!!

GregX999

So, I've tried tempeh a few times before, but never really liked it very much at all. But, finally today, I've learned the right way to prepare it!

The few times I've had it before I would take it out of the package, cut it into strips, and it would be the first ingredient into the pan followed after a minute or two by all the veggies to make a big stir-fry.

But apparently, you need to cook it before you cook it! This time I put it in a little "pan" aluminum foil with a splash of water and a dash of namu-shoyu and baked it at 350 for 20 minutes (flipping it over half-way through). I use a small toaster over for this - it'd be a bit overkill to bake a 3 inch by 3 inch square of tempeh in a regular over. So if you don't have a toaster oven, apparently you can also do basically the same thing in a shallow pan with about a quarter-inch of water in it - and just simmer the water.

Anyway, after baking, I then "cooked" it the way I've done before, but this time it was much more tender and not as bitter and "beany" tasting.

Lesson learned!

Greg

Steaming tempeh, as you would with vegetables, can also take the bitterness out of it and allow the flavours to be absorbed. I put it in a steamer for about 10 minutes before marinating and it tastes a whole lot better than if you just marinate it normally.

This is the best tempeh recipe I've ever tried -

http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/recipe.php?RecipeID=2060

I've been eating tempeh since I was a teenager and I love it. I don't have a particular recipe, but these 3 tips will make tempeh more enjoyable to eat

1. If you can, get a brand with live cultures

2. Slice the tempeh as thin as you can

3. Combine the tempeh with a very moist food and a light sauce