Make Your Own Tofurky Roast Recipe

veggieprincess

I thought I'd post it because so many of the comments posted on how good this recipe was. Great if you're joining omni's for the holidays... you can bring this on over for yourself!

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=7446.0

(I cut and pasted the recipe below, but if you're going to make it, click on the link because there's photos and comments from people who actually made it. )

Traditional Tasting Tofurkey

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

5 blocks firm/extra firm organic tofu

2 teaspoon vegan poultry seasoning (or more to taste)

1/4-1/2 cup fresh chopped herbs (I use savory, rosemary, sage and basil - but any herbs will work.)

1 1/2 tablespoon vegetable stock powder (or vegetarian chicken flavor if you can find it)

salt and pepper

Marinade:

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

1/4 - 1/2 cup red wine

1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs (same as you used in tofu)

1 tablespoon veg stock powder dissolved in a couple tablespoons of hot water

salt and pepper to taste

1 teaspoon of mustard (Dijon or seed works best)

add a sprinkle of hot pepper flakes if you like (I always do)

Directions:

I invented this recipe in response to the comments on other Tofurkey recipes that it was untraditional tasting and didn't go with the other trimmings. This Tofurkey fits in perfectly with traditional stuffing, and tastes like how holiday turkey should taste (not like soy sauce!)

1. Blend tofu in blender or food processor until lumps are gone. You can mash by hand, but I prefer to blend it for a better consistency.

2. Transfer to a large bowl, stir in herbs, poultry seasoning, stock powder and salt and pepper.

3. Line a medium, round bottomed colander with one layer of cheese cloth or a clean dish towel. Put the tofu mixture in colander and fold remaining cheese cloth over the top. Place the colander on a plate (to catch excess water being squeezed out) and put a heavy weight on top. Put in the fridge and press for aprox. 2-3 hours or overnight if possible.

4. After pressing and with the tofu still in the colander, scoop out the center, leaving about an inch of tofu around the edges. Place your stuffing in the cavity. Put the tofu mixture you scooped out over the stuffing and press down firmly.

5. Flip the formed turkey on to an oiled cookie sheet, use the excess tofu to form the turkey legs and wings for an added turkey look. Brush the whole turkey with the marinade.

6. Cook at 350° F for about 1.5 hours brushing with marinade every 15 min or whenever you remember to.

The turkey can cook for as long as you need it to. once, I let mine cook all day, basting it about every half hour or so and it turned out great. I usually put it in the oven as I'm starting the rest of the meal... by the time the potatoes and all the veggies are done, the turkey is ready to go.

Marinade instructions:

1. Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together (or blend in the blender if you prefer)

2. Taste it.

3. Adjust the spices if you feel the need.

Serves: 6 or so

Preparation time: 30 minutes?

I've tried that one but was not too impressed as the texture wasn't what we were expecting. This year, for Christmas, we're having the following recipe with dried cherries instead of figs in the filling:

Seitan Roulade with Stuffing

I'll make it a few times and will try it with hazelnuts (filberts) and chestnut flour, in the place of the almond meal, to see which one is best. Filberts and chestnuts are a local product here and remind me of autumn/winter much more than almonds.

DV,

Which baste do you think would go best with my Tofurky Roast? These are the 3 choices on the box:

Tofurky Baste - option 1:

3 tablespoons olive oil (or other vegetable oil)

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1/2 teaspoon ground sage

Tofurky Baste - option 2:

1/8 cup orange juice

1/8 cup soy sauce

1 Tablespoon sweetener of your choice.

Tofurky Baste - option 3:

1 tablespoon apricot jam or spread

3 tablespoons soy sauce

1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil

2 tablespoons water

I've always gone with choice number one - but double it. The other choices aren't traditional enough, IMO, and are not strong enough to make much difference anyway.

We're going to a vegan Thanksgiving potluck tomorrow (about 20 people) and I'm a bit disappointed that the hostess is serving Tofurkey since EVERYONE from Portland has had this numerous times! I'm bringing appetizers - Mini Seitan Wellingtons with Bernaise Sauce. I need to get offline now and make the pate and seitan!

Mini Seitan Wellingtons with Bernaise Sauce. I need to get offline now and make the pate and seitan!

Num num num.

I like option 1 best, but I don't like fruity tasting things on my tofurkey at all, my kids don;t either. Maybe it comes from years of food hygiene. I agree with DV, double that recipe.