Simple, high protein muffins

chrisjs

Been briefly playing around with making some high protein, low carb muffins and here what I have so far.

Ingredients

1 cup soy flour

1 cup protein powder (I used a 70 pea/30 rice mix)

0.5 cup rolled oats

2 tsp baking powder

0.5 cup raisins

1 tsp sea salt

2 tsp cinnamon

0.5 cup Unsweetened applesauce

2 cups water

Prep

Mix dry ingredients together, then add wet ingredients and mix well. Don't need to follow "the muffin method" since there's no gluten.

Put into a 12 muffin pan and bake for 30 minutes at 350 F.

These are a little crumbly but hold together much better than earlier versions. Still working on them.

The protein powder I used was vanilla flavored and stevia sweetened, but not strongly. You may need to adjust flavors. If you've never worked with soy flour before be aware that it has a tangy metallic flavor when raw in the batter, but this completely goes away once cooked.

Stats

Per muffin: 96 calories: 2g fat, 12g carbs (2g fiber, 6g sugar), 9g protein

More detail: http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/recipe/1545883/2

They taste pretty damn good, slight apple cinnamon flavor with some nice hits of sweetness from the raisins. Obviously not too sweet or strong of a flavor and aren't going to beat some triple-chocolate muffin as far as taste goes, but I'm very happy with them.

They passed the wife test, fwiw.

That blend of protein has an excellent amino profile and of course soy is extremely good as well.

This is very similar to some muffins I tried making, though I think I had some wheat bran in there, and possibly some whole wheat pastry flour (though I can't quite remember if I'm thinking of the right recipe on that one).

I'll have to try these!