How do you cook with tofu?

Cold Fission

I really like baked tofu. I marinate it first (you can marinate it in whatever you like, my basic is some water, soy sauce, nutritional yeast, thyme, sage, rosemary, and some lemon, but whatever). Then bake it on one side for about 10 min. or so on 400 F, then flip it over and do the other side.

I really love those quiches: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/12/mini-crustless-tofu-quiches.html They're amazing!

I also eat tofu as a filling for crepes. (Make some crepes, then blend firm silken tofu (or usual tofu with some soy milk), add some raisins, agave sirup and about 2 tsp of cornstarch or arrowroot for one pack of (silken) tofu, fill the crepes with that and add some on top of the crepes, bake for about 15 minutes and you have a delicious meal ) Here's a pic of it: http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/1637/dsc00269d.jpg I topped it with a carob-sauce..

• 1 month later...

I stir fry marinated tofu in a blend of soysauce, garlic and onion powder. Or, pan fry marinated tofu in a blend of water and soysauce then fry with a little canola oil. Add fresh garlic or garlic powder, onion powder, hot curry powder or other spices.

I make chocolate mousse with silken tofu by blending up the tofu and melting dark, sometimes flavoured dairy free chocolate on low and then blending that in with the tofu. You usually have to add some agave syrup to it for sweetness. I recommend vanilla flavoured agave.

Many people find tofu taste too bland but I liked it from the first time. When I was eating cheese before, I also liked the young "tasteless" ones. So, i don't marinate tofu usually, I just cut it in 1/2 cm x 1/2 cm cubes and add it to my grains when I cook them. My favorite is with quinoa. This one is with quinoa, dried tomatoes, Herbes de Provence, olive oil, garlic and onion.

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/5929/kinoa.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• 1 month later...

The simplest recipe for tofu I know of (here in China) is diced with chopped chives and some toasted sesame oil (salt to taste). Though, I do have to say that tofu in China is TOPS! you can just eat it straight up and it's great! Tastes nothing like what we have in the States. There's also an endless variety of tofus and recipes...as I research and test some more, I'll add them to the thread.

One thing to mention that I usually do with any tofu is press out as much water as I can unless it's being scrambled or put into a blender drink...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I find it fairly easy to eat tofu just the way it is. Raw and unseasoned as well. But I still like to fry it with spices until it gets that golden brown look.

I was quite suprised when we made miso soup with my friends that actually you don't need to do anything with tofu and it still tastes great. We had the miso stock though, but no other spices were added (and we cooked it with some shiitake mushrooms, carrots, potatoes and leek). A bit salty, but so good.

Tofu is great for the great variety of ways you can cook it. In the oven, on a pan, in a soup. Everything's possible with tofu.

I just tried this one:

drain tofu and get all of the water out (use paper towels or cheese cloth strainer), freeze it over night. Pull it out the next morning and let it thaw out. The freezing and thawing gives it a chewier texture and lets it soak up whatever you soak it in. I used a peanut sauce, probably one of the best times I've had tofu