Unstrained nutmilks

NicholasV

Mark Rippetoe, the author of Starting Strength(which outlines the program I am following) advocates to get to the point of drinking a gallon of cow milk a day, to get extra calories and protein in!

I had to abandon store bought soy milk since it has too much salt and sugar, which is unhealthy. Also it is twice as expensive compared to cow milk last I checked. But making my own strained nutmilk with my Vitamix was way too time intensive. I have started making unstrained cashew nutmilk with: 1 cup cashews, 3 cups water and 6 dates for sweetener and it tastes great without straining. This saves me alot of time and money. I have tried this with almond milk and there were bits of thick fiber that coagulate after being left. You can stir it up, but it is still less than ideal and tastes horrible.

Are there any other nutmilks or types of vegan milk that taste good without the hassle of time consuming straining?

I make almond & cashew milk as well. I don't really find the straining to be that time consuming. When I blend my almonds for example, I don't blend until they are completely liquefied. I found that when I did that, the pulp clogs the nutmilk bag something awful when trying to strain it.

If I just lightly blend it - that is, a couple of pulses with my hi speed blender, it will strain easily. Also, I make milk/smoothies from young coconut water & meat. It makes a great tasting milk & I find it quick to prepare.

It will last about a week in the fridge, although I usually have it gone long before then!

• 2 weeks later...

Tried Walnut nutmilk (unstrained) = thick and nasty tasting

@vegimator: Where do you buy hemp to use in nutmilk? I never saw any.

@katz: To make a batch a day or every two to get in extra calories, it takes too much time, maybe you just do it less often so you perceive it that way. To do strained, I have to put the hemp nutmilk strainer bag in a bowl, then pour the blended contents in. Then wait around 10 minutes till about half of it passes on its own from gravity and I have to spend at least five minutes to squeeze the rest through. After that I have to pour into another container and clean up. Compared to unstrained where I just have to clean the blender, I have to now clean the blender, bowl and nutmilk bag.