Mom's Reconstructed Chili

HorseSense

That's what Sheryl Crow is calling this recipe in her "If It Makes You Healthy" cookbook. I thought it was worth a share.

Serves: 6-8

1 tbsp canola oil

1 large yellow onion, diced

1 tbsp. chopped garlic

1 pound ground soy burger alternative

2 tsp. cumin

1 1/2 tbsp. chili powder

1/2 tsp. smoke paprika, optional

1/2 tsp. dried red chili flakes

One 12-oz. can light beer, at room temperature

1 1/2 tsp. low sodium soy sauce

Two 14-15 oz. cans chili hot beans with can juices, preferably organic

Two 14-15 oz. cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes, preferably organic

2 bay leaves

2 tsp. dried oregano

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Fat-free saltines or cornbread for serving (optional)

Hot pepper sauce for serving (optional)

In large pot, HEAT the oil over medium heat and when hot, saute the onion and garlic for 3 to 4 minutes.

ADD ground soy and cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon. Add cumin, chili powder, paprika and chili flakes and continue to cook, stirring until the spices are slightly toasted and fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.

Using a wooden spoon to prevent sticking, STIR in half of the beer and soy sauce. Add the rest of the beer and sir to mix.

ADD the chili hot beans, pinto beans, tomatoes and 1 cup of water and mix well. Add bay leaves and oregano and stir.

Bring the chili to a low boil over medium-high heat and COOK for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so until the stew is well blended.

REDUCE the heat to low and simmer gently until cooked through, 30 to 40 minutes, until the flavors blend. Stir the chili occasionally during cooking. Adjust the heat up or down to maintain a simmer.

SERVE hot with crumbled saltines or cornbread and some extra hot sauce, if desired.

Looks good to me!! Found this in Country Weekly. Gonna try it myself!