Nedd mung sprout and quinoa sprout raw recipe ideas pronto!

Kathryn

I'm in the midst of sprouting some mung beans (ready tomorrow or the next day) and quinoa (ready this evening or tomorrow---if they even sprout. The info in the package suggested they would, but Steve M..., the Sproutman, claims they don't) and need some ideas for what to do with them raw.

I'm thinking a raw 'chop suey' for the mung, but I'm open to other ideas.

For the quinoa: a raw pilaf or maybe breakfast cereal.

You can always use the quinoa as a base for hummous too. You can dry it for a crunch cereal too; though buckwheat oat groats are fantastic for that. they are crunchy and light -- make an excellent raw flour

Here is a "Mung Bean Sprout Salad in Outrageous Dressing" recipe from Sprout People - some other recipes there you may be interested in. Great site too -- very informative.

------

Found these in my recipe files:

Vegetable Kurma Marinade for Vegetable Kurma -Quintessence

2 cup water

3 med Cloves Garlic

1/2 cup Olive Oil

1 tsp. Sea Salt

2 to 3 Tbls Yellow Curry Powder

Soak veggies of choice in marinade for 24 hours. Then strain keeping the marinad.

Pour marinade back into blender and add:

1 cup soaked Almonds

Blend thoroughly, then add:

1/4 cup Cilantro

1/4 cup Parsley

You can more curry or cyanne if you wish. Blend in at medium speed for about 20 second.

Serve over marinated veggies and sprouted wild rice or sprouted Quinoa.

----

Trio of Shaved Cabbages with Sweet Sesame Vinaigrette

Serves 6

1 c finely shredded Napa cabbage

1 c finely shredded green cabbage

1 c finely shredded red cabbage

½ c red and yellow bell pepper julienne thin

1 c Asian bean sprouts

¼ c olive oil

3 T Nama Shoyu

3 T maple, or date paste

T minced garlic

T minced ginger

½ T toasted sesame oil (optional)

½ T hot pepper minced

½ t Celtic salt

in 3 small bowls separate the three cabbages. Add an even amount to each bowl the bell pepper and Asian bean sprouts. Set aside.

In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, Shoyu, sweetener, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, hot pepper and salt.

Before serving toss each bowl with equal amount of dressing.

For service, place a small mound of each cabbage around the plate, garnish with seasoned nuts

-------------

Vegetable Kurma

Marinade

2 cups (480 ml) water

3 medium cloves of garlic

1/2 cup (120 ml) extra virgin olive oil

1 teaspoon sea salt

2 to 3 tablespoons yellow curry powder

1 cup (240 ml) soaked raw almonds

1/4 cup (60 ml) cilantro

1/4 cup (60 ml) parsley

Combine water, garlic, olive oil, sea salt, and curry powder in a blender to create a marinade. Pour the marinade into a bowl.

Soak any veggies of your choice in the marinade for 24 hours. Strain veggies, reserving the marinade.

Pour marinade back into the blender and add the almonds. Blend thoroughly.

Add cilantro and parsley and blend at medium speed for about 20 seconds. Serve over marinated veggies and sprouted wild rice or sprouted quinoa. If desired, adjust seasonings with additional curry or add cayenne pepper.

---------

Raw Sprout Energy Salad

Mix together:

1 cup of mung bean sprouts

1/2 cup yellow lentil sprouts

A big handful of Sunflower sprouts

1/2 cup of thin strips of white sweet onion

1/3 cup shredded white radish

1/4 of a medium size green cabbage (not shredded but chopped in small bite size pieces)

1/2 tsp minced ginger

Several sprigs of cilantro

Dressing:

Mix together some Living Harvest Organic Hemp Oil, lemon juice, parsley, tarragon, sea salt and a bit of pepper.

This recipe is true to the promise of energizing.

Courtesy of: Wind Walrath - The Raw Biscotti Company

You can always use the quinoa as a base for hummous too. You can dry it for a crunch cereal too; though buckwheat oat groats are fantastic for that. they are crunchy and light -- make an excellent raw flour

Here is a "Mung Bean Sprout Salad in Outrageous Dressing" recipe from Sprout People - some other recipes there you may be interested in. Great site too -- very informative.

Thanks for the ideas! I hadn't thought of drying the quinoa and making it crunchy (I was thinking of blending with some nut milk), but I like that idea!

Did you mean "tabouleh" (usually made from cracked wheat) rather than "hummus" (made with garbanzo beans)? I think at least part of those quinoa sprouts will be turned into tabouleh, and the other half will be a cereal. '

I've got buckwheat on order, so I can try the flour, too. Right now, I've got the buckwheat in the hull to make buckwheat lettuce.

Thanks!

Aww, thanks, MV Glad to help! That SproutPeople site is really good.

They were the site that taught me most about all things sprouty. I hadn't known about rye rejuvelac before I saw it there. I still like spelt better, but rye is great too. A combo of soft spring wheat and rye is even better Have you ever had it? Seems it's either loved or hated.

Kat, it's a toss up when it comes to raw recipes. You may not like quinoa dried. I actually don't like quinoa raw at all; but it's all according to taste with raw, I find. I also *despise* sprouted garbanzo beans.

I meant, tabouleh with hummous . It's usually served together (I didn't mean hummous was made of grain ). I used to prefer quinoa instead of tabbouleh or tabbouleh made with quinoa with my hummous; if cracked wheat wasused, especially because it's too processed -- it was good, I just used to love quinoa when I ate grains.

Let us know how your sprout stuff comes out.