New Food Obsession - Dates!

Evan

I have never really eaten them before in the past but I am finding just how great this food is. Last night I made a pie and I used only cashews and dates ground up together in food precessor to make the crust and the crust was the best part of the pie! Also, just forming the same mixture into bars and eating them straight or with a banana is soooo good too. Ok random boring post but I just wanted to declare my new love for dates!

On their own, I don't much care for dates since they're dense and sticky from all the sugar. But then, I've only had dried dates--is it possible to purchase fresh ones? I know that I prefer fresh figs over dried.

Having said this, I'm experimenting quite a bit with dates just the same by making my own 'LaraBars' in a Vita Mix. Dates make for an ideal base (almost like a mortar) in keeping the other ingredients together to form logs or balls. I use almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, dried coconut, dried cherries, etc. and then coat them with ground flax or sesame to decrease there stickiness when handling. No sugar added, of course, perhaps a little xylitol if I'm using peanut butter as my base in place of dates. Wish I had thought of this years ago--could have marketed "MichaelBars". It's great fun making these with my 5 year old son, and you can't go wrong when experimenting--everything tastes great when you're creating a matrix of raw nuts and seeds.

Nobody's cooking tasted better than my own Tigress Oops I shouldn't spoil the suprise...just wait until Saturday or Sunday. My mom's a close second but I'm untouchable in the craft of gastrointestinal satisfaction...plus to be more specific I've got some crazy things I do with dates(all for food of course)

I've only had dried dates--is it possible to purchase fresh ones? I know that I prefer fresh figs over dried.

I've actually been thinking about this lately. What are non-dried dates like? I've seen fresh figs, but never fresh dates.

www.sunorganic.com has a nice selection of organic dates.

One thing about dates, a lot of raw food bars (Vega, Larabars, etc.) are date-based, so I wonder about eating too many of them.

why does other people's cooking always taste nicer than your own !

I'm not sure, but ísn't it true a lot of times?

I think we all get stuck in some kind of rut of using the same combos of foods and spices, and other people do things just differently enough to stimulate our tastes buds. I certainly enjoyed a very tomatoey vegan chili that some non-vegan colleagues made for my birthday.

Dates taste awesome, my girlfriend introduced them to me, I hadn't eaten them since I was kid when I didn't like them. Now I really like them, I could eat a whole bag. But they are high G.I as far as I know, not good for glucose levels if you eat a lot? Is that right? I try to just eat like 5 or 6 at a time.

Something to try: if you eat a sweet date (some are less sweet than others, medjool is a good choice) and an apple at the same time (bite of date, bite of apple), it tastes kind of like a caramel apple.

And you can make a fruit salad with cubes apples, chopped dates and walnuts.

Also, mash up a few dates, add some p.b. and some oat flakes and a dash of vanilla and mix it together to make a snack that tastes kind of like a Butterfinger bar. (Well close enough, especially if you haven't had a Butterfinger for quite a while!)

I'm not a big fan myself. But to those who are, be sure to cut them open before eating. I know several people (also a thread going on another board) who have found dead bugs inside them around the pit area, generally ant or weevil like bugs. Some found out after popping several whole in their month. Ick!