Guacamole Dip

VeganGirl2006

why are we forgetting the cilantro???? that's just not right! Guacamole NEEDS cilantro! everything needs cilantro, in my opinion.

Guacamole is one of my favorite foods along with homemade baked corn chips. Oh my goodness. It's going to be mexican food for dinner at my house tonight!

I made my own recipe by trying to get taste and texture of what restaurants serve.

I use medium ripe avocados. I mush, with a fork, until texture of what restaurants serve. I spread it out evenly in a big bowl. I then sprinkle garlic powder, to cover about 40% of it, cilantro to cover all of it, then sprinkle black pepper to cover about 10%, then I put diced onions in it - size depends on taste (I used dried in a shaker to save time but fresh would be good.)

I then mix it all together. Then I put lemon or lime juice on it - size depends on taste.

It tastes pretty close to what restaurants serve.

I'm not particularly a fan of cilantro, so I don't use it. It's better without it, to me.
but...
Ingredients:

-3 small avocadoes' date=' peeled and diced

-1/2 cup of your favorite [b']salsa[/b]

almost every commercially available salsa has cilantro

i'm from los angeles and here's a traditional baja guacamole recipe:

2-4 ripe Haas avocados

half an onion, diced

1-2 fresh serrano peppers, diced (can use jalapenos)

1/4 cup cilantro, chopped or diced (depending on preference)

juice of 1 lime

1/4 teaspoon salt

peel avocados and place in a bowl or on a large plate.

squeeze juice of 1 lime on avocado.

sprinkle with salt.

mash with a fork until mostly smooth with chunks.

toss most of the cilantro, all of the peppers and onion on top of avocado.

stir until evenly distributed.

sprinkle remaining cilantro over the top.

serve with warm tortilla chips.

and then instead, i use raw yam slices or carrot sticks. this is also great to put a large spoonful on a salad. the reason i don't add tomatos is that the specific acids in tomatos causes the guacamole to turn brown faster. the lime alone helps keep it green/yellow.

now, it says vegan guacamole recipes. how does one actually make non-vegan guac?? i have no idea...

I'm not particularly a fan of cilantro, so I don't use it. It's better without it, to me.

I think cilantro is kind of a 'love it or hate it' seasoning. I can stand it, but it's often overused (one raw foods prep DVD I have uses cilantro in almost everything...blech).

now, it says vegan guacamole recipes. how does one actually make non-vegan guac?? i have no idea...

Some recipes (and actually, quite a few ready-made guacamoles) use sour cream in the recipe. Just look at a guacamole mix in your local grocery store.