Cholesterol, Is this true???

SpeakLow

I read this today at VeganForLife.org

Is it true?

"Cholesterol - Cholesterol is only found in foods of animal origin. Therefore, if any product contains cholesterol (even in the most minute amounts), it is not vegan. Check the nutritional information panel on the product for listing of cholesterol."

I read this today at VeganForLife.org

Is it true?

"Cholesterol - Cholesterol is only found in foods of animal origin. Therefore, if any product contains cholesterol (even in the most minute amounts), it is not vegan. Check the nutritional information panel on the product for listing of cholesterol."

It's true

It is true that cholesterol is only found in animal products.

If the product contains cholesterol, then it is't vegan.

Check the ingredients also.

Even if there is no cholesterol, there could be animal products.

Soy cheese got me a few times, no cholesterol, but it had casein.

We have some Non-Dairy Creamer at work.

Cholesterol: 0mg

The last line of ingredients says (in bold) CONTAINS: MILK

How can they call this non-dairy?

Edited by MontanaVegan

FDA allow lattitude for that..just like vegetable shortening...it actually only has to be 80% vegetable shortening to be called vegetable shortening on an ingredients list...therefore I leave it alone if its not from an organic company or if it doesn't specify origins in parenthesis...same with calories and fat...some things don't need less than one calorie to be called calorie free...same with fat

Yeah its true, but ive seen foods that say butter in the ingredients yet have 0 cholesterol...how does that work out?

They can round down, so if each serving has less than .5 gm, they can say it has "0" (same with some things that claim to have no calories, or be 'trans fat free' : as an aside, if you are looking to avoid trans fats, as we should all be, look at the ingredients list for partially hydrogentated or hydrogenated oils, even if the label says 'trans fat free').

Hmm, that is what I wanted to know. Good info. I've been checking ingredients on everything I've been buying, it's actually very facinating. I can't believe how many products on the shelves have some sort of an ingredient from a poor animal. It's sick! I was just curious on the choleserol though, thank you for the answers....

I've been checking ingredients on everything I've been buying....
I usually shop alone because according to certain folks, when I shop in the supermarkets, apparently I take WAY too long because I instinctively read all the ingredients even if I've bought the items before =)

Oh, and I did not know that about cholesterol either! I learn something new every time I sign on to the forum here.

Its true that they can round down. Its rather deceiving and I don't like it at all.

I have one of those spray cans of vegetable oil, and it claims that it has no fat, even though oil is 100% fat. They can get away with it because the serving size is so small.

Oil is not neccessarily fat...fat is oil but oil we can digest...if you drink motor oil its actualy fat free since you can't absorb it...this is how Olestra was fat free...it was completely oil...with a modified hydrogen chain that prevented assimilation in the body