Pie crust???

pelicanAndrew

I had trouble getting everything ground up in my blender...is there a difference with food processor. Anyhow I added water and then put in some oats. Pie crust turned out really good if you ask me. Andrew you can make your own crust with flour and what not. Just search around a bit on the net. Try vegweb.com And definitely learn how to mix up the ingredients. For a fluffy crust you have to cut the ingredients not just stir them together.

*to cut the pie a rolling pin is needed… See: http://www.hormel.com/templates/template.asp?catitemid=120&id=867

Basic Pie Crust

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

1 cup flour

1/2 cup non-hydrogenated vegan margarine (I use Earth Balance)

1/4 cup water

Directions:

1. Cut the margarine into the flour until crumbly.

2. Stir in water until dough sticks together.

3. Roll out on floured surface.

This is my great-grandmothers recipe for pie crust, used by everyone in my family. It originally called for hydrogenated vegetable shortening, but I replace it with non-hydrogenated vegan margarine and it works great. If you're not afraid of trans fat, you can go ahead and use the vegetable shortening instead of the vegan margarine, but I think it tastes better with the vegan margarine.

My favorite thing about this recipe is that I never have to write it down. The amount for each ingredient is just half of the amount of the ingredient before it. It is, without a doubt, the simplest recipe for pie crust I have ever encountered in my life, and it comes out perfect every time.

Serves: 1 pie crust

Preparation time: 5-10 minutes

*this is not my recipe I pulled it all off vegweb I think.

If you have the money to spend anything Kitchen Aid or Cuisinart is pretty awesome.

If you don't have a lot of money go to a local target or walmart (I fucking hate walmart) and grab one for cheap. Just try not to get one of those real small ones that only hold a one or two cups. Atleast 3+ is worth your money.

Yeah i should do that. Whats a good model to get?

I have a 7-cup Cuisinart that I love! I got it on sale at Amazon.com a couple of years ago, but didn't start using it until this past summer. It makes hummus in a hurry and is great for all processing jobs (and easy to clean).

For pie crust, I've heard that it's important that the water be cold (even put an icecube in it so it is very cold). Somehow, this helps with the texture of the final product (I've never been a pie maker, so this is just hearsay!)