Wild Edible plants

Lean and Green

though I have never actually tried it, Wild Purslane is supposed to be like the most nutritionally dense dark green leafy there is according to a book I read:

"The truth about vitamins, minerals and antioxidants" Judith Decava

Anyway, I can get it upstate but I have yet to trek out there to scoop up some. Supposedly it is a common garden deco as well. After looking at pictures of it, I see how that's possible.

It's funny how many things that people classify as "weeds", tend to be the best stuff for you to consume...

Wildman Steve is awesome! I foraged with him twice when I lived in Connecticut. My neighbors thought I was crazy when I started foraging through our neighborhood, LOL. It was great.

I have his cookbook. I haven't tried most of the recipes but they are all vegan. He's fond of stevia as a sweetener but I'm not fond of the aftertaste.

Wild purslane is sometimes available from one of the farmers at our market. I would really like to find it in the wild. It does have a great nutritional profile.

I was shocked at how delicious some of our "weeds" were when I started adding them to salads. And the number of wild grapes in Connecticut is astounding! Homemade stuffed grape leaves are better than any you get in a jar (although it's amazing how they still taste a bit briney).

I am now going to have to sign up for the local foraging tour here in Portland. Thanks for this post. I've really missed foraging now that I live in the city.

I've really only done berries, dandelion greens, and onion grass. Here in the mainland US. In the Hawaii you can find guava, and bananas everywhere...sometime avocados(most are on someones land but not all).