God

dontxhide

Do you believe in a god/God?  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was wondering peoples religious differences.

Most of the vegans I know are either athiest or agnostic, but there are a couple that are christian.

If you want to debate, go ahead But Im just wondering your take on things.

PS: While writing this, I just realized how ugly the word God is. Actually looking at it, and saying it over and over again, its very cluttered and lumpy! (can a word be those things lol?)

They put me through all the sacraments in a roman catholic sunday school and also a roman catholic high school I had attended as well but none of it convinced me of anything. I had my doubts at a very young age and nothing changed them.....

Agnostic

I didnt start having my doubts to a bit later. After I got back from college for the summer my mom started forcing me to go to church. I kept on telling her I believe in God, but I dont believe that going to church was the only way to worship. Well she still forced me, which meant me going with her, then hiking in the mountains behind the church until it was over.

That was the start of it all, and slowly over time, I just started questioning everything, and no christian, no even the pastors, could answer my questions. All they said was "Those are good questions, let me pray on it and God will tell me the answer."

Athiest.

I pray by working out, my body is my temple.

No, really. I'm an atheist.

I think it's a personal thing whether to believe in god or not and people shouldn't be rated by their religion at all. If you follow the teaching of Jesus I think it's great whether you believe he was the son of a God or not. I think he said a lot of great things about helping the poor and being a good person. However, reading the Bible fundamentally believing every word how is a bit scary. The old testament doesn't have to do anything with today's world in my opinion, it's full of murder and hate.

Jainism is a good example of a great religion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jainism

I don't judge religious people as long as they don't use the religion as a tool to judge others. If religious people discriminate sexual minorities or other minorities I stand against them. Many of my friends believe in god (even though most of Finnish people aren't that religious) and I think we can all learn a lot from each other as long as no one goes to "god hates fags / god says it's ok to kill animals" territory.

I myself don't need any upper guidance and I'm not expecting eternal life after death. I think this one will do just fine.

I believe there is more than one god out there, to be honest. I think people have really messed up religions in a lot of ways, to kind of justify their own beliefs. I don't believe that any god would think that homosexuals are evil. There are homosexual animals as well as people. It's, in my opinion, population control. I don't believe in evil deity's either. I think all the evil in this world is caused by people.

Not offending anyone, but my personal opinion is that believing in God is the biggest bullshit in life. I am often asked if I truly do believe that millions of people, who DO believe in a God, can be wrong and blind. Yes, I do believe they are blind and naive. And it might be a standard question, but do you guys, who believe in God, do you really believe in a loving God, who does accept people suffering all over the world? What kind of God is this, who is watching the cruelty every day without doing anything? IF there is a God then it is the devil himself or the biggest fucking asshole.

I only do believe in nature and life, which unfourtunatly is cruel.

Not offending anyone, but my personal opinion is that believing in God is the biggest bullshit in life. I am often asked if I truly do believe that millions of people, who DO believe in a God, can be wrong and blind. Yes, I do believe they are blind and naive. And it might be a standard question, but do you guys, who believe in God, do you really believe in a loving God, who does accept people suffering all over the world? What kind of God is this, who is watching the cruelty every day without doing anything? IF there is a God then it is the devil himself or the biggest fucking asshole.

Haha. I asked my mom this once (who is the strongest christian i know) she didnt have the answer, asked her pastor, and the pastor told her to tell me that "God has a plan for everyone. It might not seem right at the moment, but it is his will."

What a load of crap.

My parents never been baptized, neither married, and I'm so glad they did not baptized me ! To make people join to a religion when they're still babies and too young to make choices, that's sick!

I don't know if there's a god or not, but if there's one, it's the same for all the religion and for everybody. In other words, god is everywhere and in everyone. You can believe in god from inside of you, and to join a religion or going to church each sunday ain't gonna change anything. So that makes me more of a spiritual person than a religious. I like the spititual aspects of buddhism and the spritual aspects of other religions, so I incorporate some of those aspects in my everyday life, like meditation, believing in reincarnation, karma, etc...

Certainly if there is a God, it's not what I'd call "good" at all, existence is way too crappy. I'd write him a strongly worded e-mail if I could.

That is a good point. But honestly I think all of those problems and evils are needed. If we lived in a world with a super loving god, no one died and everyone was lolly jolly skipping around as happy as can be this world would quickly turn sour.

People need to die. Plain and simple. Weather it is by nature, a bus or a rotten taco. Shit

happens. People just need to deal with it.

I personally believe in a god. But not in the exact same way most do. I haven't read the bible yet( But would just to see the points it makes ) but one has to understand that the bible is not exactly 100 percent. Maybe not even 50 Percent. After all it is written by deciphles. It's not hard to believe that they on occasion jolt down a thing or two according to what they want. Like the old saying is," Don't believe everything you read "

That's why I choose to believe in a god in a more personal spiritual sense. Not in the typical sense.

But would I be horrified if I discovered there was no God? Maybe. But in truth the main reason why I believe is because I want to believe in an afterlife. My vision of an afterlife is me floating for all of eternity in a flying space station-like vehicle, everyone I love on board, and all the video games and food I could ask for.

Personally I get a little depressed thinking that humans reincarnate. I don't want to live again. I love the people I live with now. So the idea of living again someday and forgetting them is kinda suckage( Although in a sense I do believe that reincarnation exists for the people who choose to live again ) Like for potential humans who were abortionized and for killed infants( Because I don't think baby's go to heaven. There not qualified and would not fit in )

Now if I could become a super powerful ghost like being when I die that might be cool. I'd spend all of my energy trying to partially materialize into the physical relm so I can become a new being. A creature who manifests both the spirit and material world.

Who knows what I'll become when I die. I just like to believe that there is a little more going on then we can perceive. After all were only Human beings in a world we don't fully understand. Who's to say what the truth is?

An all powerful being could make things any way it chooses. To say "you need X to have Y" makes no sense when you're talking about an all-powerful being, since he can redefine what X and Y are, and what they're based on. If Heaven exists, that's meant to be like the best place ever where nothing bad happens. Hot question: Why bother making anything else? It seems pretty sadistic to make a perfect Heaven realm, then choose to also make a shittier planet called Earth where all kinds of bad stuff goes down constantly...

There is so much crap in the world, I don't think it makes sense to say it's necessary. That stuff which happened with the dude locking his daughter in the basement and raping her constantly for over a decade. That alone is a reason for me to hate God / not believe in God. To allow that to take place is really not good. But it happened, and worse things have happened and continue to happen on a daily basis.

Yeah bad things happen. Good things happen too just as often. But due to the sad but true reality we live in more often then not it's the bad stuff that gets reported on the news. That's why I just don't watch the news.

I can't say why that happend and I can see your point. An all powerful being would most certainly have the power to stop anything he wants to. so why doesn't he intervene ever?

It's hard to say. Maybe there's just too much going down on this shitty planet for one man( Even a God ) to deal with. Even if your all powerful and omni-present.

In fact maybe he isn't even all powerful. That could just be a complete fabrication.

I could go all day and jolt down bad things that happen in life. And if all you hear is the crap in it then I'm not surprised one would not believe in a loving god. But I do like to believe good things happen too. Only problem is no one reports it because it doesn't sell as well as stories of the bad things.

There was a particular event that happened in my life a few years ago. One that made me wonder if perhaps there is more to life. It had to do with my Mother.

This was back around 1996-1998. My mom was on her way home from her work when she started to feel ill. Getting disoriented, Loosing focus and not being able to concentrate. And she was on the road too so she could have crashed and died.

So why didn't she? Well according to her when she was driving she couldn't focus on the road and was just driving in a daze. She could barely see what appeard to be a truck in front of her and she followed it not knowing what else to do.

After following the truck she began to notice her surroundings. She was close to home. She was able to make it to the front of the house, stop the car and walk in the house were she fell on the couch and had a seizure.

I wasn't there when it happened thankfully. I was at school. It was only when I got picked up by my Father that I learned what had happened.

It may or may not be God. But whatever it was( Even if it was a coincidence ) I am thankful.

Ok, here it goes! Since I have been a member of this website for awhile now, and have quite a few posts no one is going to chase me off ha ha! So what are my beliefs? I believe in one God. Like I said before I'm not going to get in a stupid debate over my post. I figure if somethings working for them that's great, and if they're happy that's even greater! I'm extremely glad to be here on vbbf with all of you, and at least we all care enough about animals to be vegan! Peace!

Certainly if there is a God, it's not what I'd call "good" at all, existence is way too crappy.

That sort of convinced atheism , following the logical path of "God is definitely omnipotent, and definitely would still exist now had they to begin with... so if a god exists then they are certainly not 'good' at all." , seems no less religious to me (and many others) than plenty of the theistic doctrines and paths of assumption/belief/presupposition/faith

Many (if not most) atheists don't seem to try & research new religions ongoingly, and even if they were to... there are so many religions in existence... so only a devoted researcher would manage to learn about them all.

I've been indoctrinated to hell and back and endured some really alarming abuse in the name of religion.... the kind which leaves you needing therapy. It's like that.

I'd be agnostic, but I'm hardly an expert.... nobody is, and surely nobody can rationally come to any conclusive certainty about a God "certainly" being a particular way if it exists ?

Ok, here it goes! Since I have been a member of this website for awhile now, and have quite a few posts no one is going to chase me off ha ha! So what are my beliefs? I believe in one God. Like I said before I'm not going to get in a stupid debate over my post. I figure if somethings working for them that's great, and if they're happy that's even greater! I'm extremely glad to be here on vbbf with all of you, and at least we all care enough about animals to be vegan! Peace!

I respect religious beliefs, until you get someone like Bush in office who basically uses to as a way to go to war and kill other people

My mom is vegan and she is a christian, something I respect completely.

I was raised in the cult of Catholicism until I made my escape as a teenager. I thought the Bible was a poorly translated work of folk tales and wanted to know where the women's stories were - don't ever say those words to a catholic nun. But that's religion, which is only weakly related to the question of god.

Most use the "holy books" of various religions and tradition to defend their belief in a god. I have not found one argument for god that can stand up to Richard Dawkins in The God Delusion. If some of his brilliant insights were taught alongside religious beliefs then there would be many more atheists amongst us. Which is a good thing. When you think that this is all you get, and there's no one to clean up the mess, you tend to be more careful, IMO. A belief in God is used as a crutch and an excuse by far too many people.

I believe in a god who talks to me through my ass (which makes sense, as my bowels are deeper - thus more profound - than my brain) .... God tends to get pretty vocal when i eat beans.

I get some meaningful expressions out of it, but it involves learning a lot of difficult theistic interpretation skills to fully comprehend the enormity of the vocations of the ass-God.

That's a great book, also.