Is this story a LOL or a WTF?!?!

BodhiDave85

The article is deceitfully named...

The Dark Side of Vegetarianism...

...even though the majority of the article says veg*n diet is infact healthy..

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20090401/hl_hsn/thedarksideofvegetarianism;_ylt=AmUwlaeTn9Y0y8Zj3aUcrBQDW7oF

... I cant even begin to imagine how many people only read the title of this "story".....

and thought to themselves " I knew this was true!! "

I used unhealthy means to loose weight before becoming a vegan. So perhaps it has some merit. With the amount of vegetarians in the world as well as the amount of eating disorders there is bound to be some overlap.

Regardless of how true that might be, why not write a story about the overlap of Obessity v The Catholic Church? Maybe it can be titled "Is God making us fat?" Why not? Because.. this is an obvious attempt to condemn the diet and lifestyle by a simple misleading headline in order to fulfill the meat industries agenda and make some money in a struggling economy. Point Blank!

I thought it was a decent article. The fourth paragraph luckily pointed out exactly what I was thinking:

This is not due to vegetarianism but the other way around: Adolescents struggling to control their diets and weight might opt for vegetarianism among other, less-healthful efforts.

I thought it was a decent article. The fourth paragraph luckily pointed out exactly what I was thinking:
This is not due to vegetarianism but the other way around: Adolescents struggling to control their diets and weight might opt for vegetarianism among other, less-healthful efforts.

To Chris and Phil : Yea the article was pretty objective and fairly kind, but thats not the subject at hand because i can guarantee that most people did not read past the first paragraph, if not even simply the title. Most of the good stuff was hidden towards the middle-end of the story so I doubt people left with anything positive about vegetarianism.

Isn't the Atkins diet another form of extreme weight loss method? What about the millions of people who have abused their bodies through that crock of shit? Why do they not count?

Or is it only extreme if it isn't sanctioned by a "doctor" and sold on tv?

As someone who undertsands the eating disordered all too well--I will say that this article holds a LOT of merit. A large majority of the eating dosordered have been or are vegetarians or vegans. and i will explain why-these are people obssesed with achieving whatever their idea of perfection is. Veganism is in fact an easy way to lose weight-so there's reason number 1. Number 2 is that as an adolescent it is a far more acceptable excuse to not eat what has been cooked for dinner without getting in trouble with the rents. Number 3-people who are pre-occupied with food tend to study and research everything up the wazoo and know how healthy a vegan diet is. 4-it has been shown that people with eating disorders are generally of a higher iq than average--as are vegetarians.

i could go on and on and on. it is true that people with e.d. have also tried a million other "diets" most likely- but the reason those diets exist is to lose weight, wheras vegans can have several motives for their diet choice. it can be a cover-up.

It is sad that this article had to be printed, for a number of reasons. 1 in 10 women are eating disordered one way or another and that is a fucking shame. and also it makes vegans sound as if we are mentally inept. but an article like this was probably written in the hopes of giving someone a heads up that someone they know or love may be in trouble. Unfortuanately an article like this may save someones life. although it may lose an animal anothers. its a double edged sword.