Overhead Fixation

ralst

I signed up for an olympic weightlifting meet here in Sacramento this August, and in preparation for that my training has revolved around two things: overhead and squats. I put together some training clips of some of the olympic lifts and other overhead work. Thanks for checking it out.

Strong!

What's the music playing in the background?

The music is Jurassic 5. Ditto on lookin strong! Quick question, do you ever go heavy without wraps and/or lifting belt? Ive tried a belt while going heavy only a couple times and while doing exercises like DL I felt it restricted my movements.

What's the music playing in the background?

i was going to ask to same question.

really nice video!

i saw that you're having your mp3-player with you while training heavy and with free weights. most people i asked said that the music would more bother while training with free weights than help. do you squat/bench/etc. with music, too?

Thanks everyone, and thanks Octo for handling the music inquiries

i saw that you're having your mp3-player with you while training heavy and with free weights. most people i asked said that the music would more bother while training with free weights than help. do you squat/bench/etc. with music, too?

Really? Seems like most people I know like a bit of music while lifting, especially when "psyching up" for a big lift. So yeah, I usually listen to music when bench/squat/deadlifting too.

Lookin' good, my man!

Seems that you just keep getting more and more well-rounded in your training - that overhead has come a long way in the past year, and I'm looking forward to hearing you be the first vegan on any of the boards to get 300 lb. up. By the way, how are events like stones, farmers and yoke coming along these days?

Cheers VE. 300lb overhead should fall soon - I tried a few times to go for it just to try and beat everyone else... but now I'm stepping back a bit to build up technique/strength to hopefully nail it in the next two months. My best front squat so far this year has been just under 300lb, so I'm hoping that by getting that up out of the pathetic range I'll have a better chance of nailing the overhead as well.

I haven't done stones in a while - I'm getting married this Saturday and I haven't wanted to get my forearms all torn up beforehand. Farmers also are a bit terrible right now, I had some troubles with 225/hand last weekend. Yoke... haven't done in a while, I have this odd feeling I'll be better at it once I go back to it than I was previously, but that's probably just wishful thinking

On the plus side, deadlift seems to be on the up for the first time in ages, and assuming I do get my front squat up, that should end up with good carryover to stones once I get back into more regular event training. Plan for the rest of the year is to do the Oly comp in August, hit a strongman show in Septemeber, then do a PL meet sometime before the end of the year.

The strongman show is iffy though, as there's still no word from the promoters about whether or not it's actually going to take place.

I'm looking forward to hearing you be the first vegan on any of the boards to get 300 lb. up.

I'm loving ralst's overhead progress, but I should point out that Jr on VF has nailed the 300lbs a number of times, once for 4 reps on push press (and his push press was pretty much a strict press, very little legs in it).

Out of the current crop ralst is favourite. I nailed 297.5lbs, failed 308lbs couple of times, then lost my access to stands and had to clean the weight up. I can't clean 300lbs.

I think ralst's log is actually more impressive than his work with the bar. Ballsy.

[i'm loving ralst's overhead progress, but I should point out that Jr on VF has nailed the 300lbs a number of times, once for 4 reps on push press (and his push press was pretty much a strict press, very little legs in it).

But, JR is a freak, and wasn't he already hitting 300 (or was very close to it) by the time he went vegan? Not to take anything away from him in any regard, just thought that he was already pretty well near that mark before he decided to go vegan.

I'm in the same boat, never could get that 300 to fall, stupid mental block. Push pressed 290 in front and power jerked 295 behind the neck, but that last few lbs. just never came along.

I'm extremely impressed with watching Ralst add what seems to be about 100 lbs. to his OHP in the past two years - definitely some great progress all around on the overhead work!

• 1 month later...

I don't think I like you anymore

Great freakin' work, Ralst! I think you're the first long-time vegan I know of to get 300 overhead. I know that one or two other guys from Europe have, but I believe that they were capable of it before changing their diets over and were already mega-strong as omnis. Now, on to 150kg!