The story of the bathroom ants.

Cellar Yeti

When we first moved into this house back in September it was quite a mess. After pulling the carpets throughout the house there was a big crack in the slab concrete of my bedroom where I'd see ants enter and leave. I ended up removing the light and electrical outlet covers to paint. Behind one of the covers was a HUGE carpenter ant I assumed to be the queen; and every night they'd travel from my bedroom along the baseboards into the bathroom. I later found out it was to get water and feed off our skin cells.

Eventually the floors were done, the walls were painted, and the covers were replaced. But every night when the sun went down you would find one, maybe two carpenter ants in the bathroom wandering around. I didn't see any point in killing them as they never bothered me, they never enter the kitchen, and they haven't caused any problems in over 9 months. In fact, they even eat the smaller more obnoxious ants which will occasionally venture into my kitchen or drop from the ceiling onto my kitchen table.

After a while I noticed this REALLY big carpenter ant. Every night he'd watch me from the toilet bowl tank, or the side of the tub while I brushed my teeth or used the bathroom. I dubbed him Tom (I.E. Peeping Tom). I've become quite fond of Tom to the point where I worry that if I have guests over they will hurt or kill him.

We had one casualty; one of Tom's comrades was on the floor near the toilet bowl base and I accidentally stepped on him. Since then I've been extra careful of them on the floor.

I really enjoy the bathroom ants, they are the most low maintenance pets ever.