*POM Wonderful Halts Animal Testing!*

Anything else on your mind that you would like to discuss with other like-minded people.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

robert
Site Admin

#1 Postby robert » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:31 am

For Immediate Release
January 18, 2007
*Animal Activists Declare Victory as *Pomegranate Juice Maker Halts
Cruel Experiments

In a letter to retailers on Wednesday, POM Wonderful executives stated they would stop
cruel and unnecessary animal testing on their products, effective immediately. Coming
less than 24 hours after Whole Foods Markets threatened to pull POM products off the
shelves April 1st if animal testing was not stopped, the move was an unmitigated victory
for animal activists who have been protesting POM Wonderful executives and owners Stewart
and Lyda Resnick for months.

"POM Wonderful pomegranate juice has ceased all animal testing and we have no plans to do
so in the future," Lynda and Stewart Resnick, owners of POM parent company Roll
International, wrote to all POM retailers by e-mail or post on Wednesday. Ironically,
only last Saturday, company owner Stewart Resnick exited his Beverly Hills mansion and
yelled at activists protesting there: "I don't care if you protest me for 45 years - I
will never stop testing on animals!"

After being exposed last year as funding cruel and unnecessary animal experiments, in
which baby mice were deprived of oxygen and rabbits had their penile arteries severed,
POM has seen legal demonstrations at the homes of its executives and owners in Los
Angeles as well as a recent claim alleging product tampering on the East Coast, where an
anonymous communique to the North American Animal Liberation Press Office stated that 487
bottles of POM juice had been tainted with some kind of gastrointestinal irritant. Wild
Oats grocers pulled the product off their shelves at that time.
(full communique at
http://www.animalliberationpressoffice. ... 14_pom.htm)

The National Advertising Division (NAD) of the Better Business Bureau has recommended POM
Wonderful discontinue its "puffery" and hyperbolic health claims regarding its
pomegranate juice. NAD Director Andrea Levine reported that the claims were the strongest
she'd ever seen for a food product, yet POM continues to make outrageous claims that its
juice benefits cancer, heart disease, and Alzheimer's disease.

As detailed in a company press release last month, POM vice-president Fiona Possell
resigned her position as company spokesperson, acknowledging animal rights activists as
the reason for her resignation. The North American Animal Liberation Press Office is
currently seeking a written statement from POM Wonderful detailing their promise to stop
testing on animals, either in-house or through the continued use of outside facilities
such as UCLA.

- 30 -

North American Animal Liberation Press Office
www.animalliberationpressoffice.org
press@animalliberationpressoffice.org
(818) 932-9997

"When a person places the proper value on freedom, there is nothing under the sun that
she will not do to acquire that freedom. Whenever you hear a person saying he wants
freedom, but in the next breath she is going to tell you what she won't do to get it, or
what he doesn't believe in doing in order to get it, he doesn't believe in freedom. A
person who believes in freedom will do anything under the sun to acquire...or preserve
his freedom."-- Malcolm X

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

pelicanAndrew
Elephant

#2 Postby pelicanAndrew » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:50 am

Wow that's awesome. I can now buy that lovely nectar of the gods from them at the store now. Good good good. :D

p.s. Whole Foods is my favorite company ever.

robert
Site Admin

#3 Postby robert » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:58 am

Yeah, Whole Foods is a super cool company! They are only going to get cooler and they begin to implement more and more vegan ways of doing things into the company on a global scale.

Things take time, but that company is moving in the right direction on a lot of issues.

Yay Whole Foods!

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

loveliberate
Elephant

#4 Postby loveliberate » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:20 am

Great News!`I'll celebrate by drinking some POM. :lol:
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama, May 2001 at "Educating Heart Summit" in Portland, OR.
http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.aware.org

Zack
Mastodon

#5 Postby Zack » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:38 pm

It's a good thing they're growing too, they've got a lot of leverage to throw around to make a difference...
Lifts:
250 Bench
445 Deadlift
335 Squat

veganpotter

#6 Postby veganpotter » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:40 pm

This is great...now I only have one good reason not to buy POM...its so damn pricey

Zack
Mastodon

#7 Postby Zack » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:57 pm

veganpotter wrote:This is great...now I only have one good reason not to buy POM...its so damn pricey

Pricey and Pasteurized, good combo eh?
Lifts:
250 Bench
445 Deadlift
335 Squat

Odidnetne
Stegosaurus

#8 Postby Odidnetne » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:19 pm

Didn't one of the execs who was really pushing animal testing just leave too?
www.facebook.com/OhDid

"Look at what a green thumb this guy has, he just throws plants in water and they root!"
- A good friend talking about my basil cuttings

Daniel
Rabbit

Don't believe the hype

#9 Postby Daniel » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:08 pm

:D
Last edited by Daniel on Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

veganpotter

#10 Postby veganpotter » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:31 pm

Good point...personally I say just eat pomegranites...that way you get the fiber too

Zack
Mastodon

#11 Postby Zack » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:37 pm

veganpotter wrote:Good point...personally I say just eat pomegranites...that way you get the fiber too

Takes like 1 million hours to eat a pomegranate.
Lifts:
250 Bench
445 Deadlift
335 Squat

veganpotter

#12 Postby veganpotter » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:47 pm

Good...it keeps you from eating too much other stuff :lol: I figure if your trying to lose weight and you start every day with a pomegranite you'll be good to go since you won't have time to eat anything else

CollegeB
Elephant

#13 Postby CollegeB » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:13 am

I like pommegranites. and you get red stuff all over you and the kitchen. It makes people wonder... :wink:

Kathryn
Elephant

#14 Postby Kathryn » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:18 am

This is great news.

Still don't know if I want to buy from a company that used to be gung-ho about animal testing, and only stopped after a lot of pressure was put on them. Maybe I'll just declare a moratorium, and if they continue with their good behavior for a year, I'll buy again (though I do prefer Naked Juice's pomegranate blend).

veganpotter

#15 Postby veganpotter » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:25 pm

After two-three bottles of POM you could have purchased your own juicer to make it yourself

Return to “General Discussion”