Hello...and I think I need help

Otávio Rapôso

Hi, my name is Otavio, I'm 20 and I live in the countryside of Rio - Brazil (sorry if my English doesn't turn out to be good).

I was never vegan or vegetarian, and nobody in my family is vegan or vegetarian.

Because I study in a full-time university and I don't have time for work too much, It's not me that buy food for my home, I don't own enough money to buy expensive food nor I have enough time to learn how to cook. Moreover, because I live in a countryside of a underdevelopment country, there are not things like big stores or vegan stores (at least not one whose products I can afford).

Recently I started taking classes on Ethics and I've read Peter's Singer book on Practical Ethics. I'm pretty convinced that I should stop consuming animal products (or at least meat, eggs and dairy, who causes a lot of suffering). Furthermore, I don't have a lot of self-stem because I don't have a fit body, so I decided going gym and starting some treadmill and weight lifting.

Because I think I don't have enough knowledge, money, time or even access to vegan products I'm pretty concerned about my health. My family is kind of a religious one, and don't support me on my choice. And I'm also concerned about the example I'm giving to other people. I'm pretty scared of falling sick.

I came here because I really need help with anything you can help me.

hey. for vegan products what do you mean? like processed industrialized meat substitutes? because actually you dont really need them!

to make this step on thinking about veganism after reading peter singer is gives you honor, he is a good author, but remember that starting with veganism means starting to read and read and experiment with food nutrients etc.

to be healthy you just need good sources of carbs, proteins, fats and vitamines.

you can find all these things in all the natural world

carbs:

wheat products (i guess they are the most famous and cheaper ones), corn, rice, oats, millet, barley, spelt, quinoa etc. most of them have the essentials aminoacids you need to assimilate proteins.

proteins:

peas, lentils, beans (black, red, white etc.), lupine, chickpeas, soybeans, seitan, tofu and other soyproducts, remember that with legumes it woudl be better (especially lentils) to combine them with cereals like quinoa etc.

healty fats:

nuts, peanuts, almonds, cashews, hazelnuts, macadamia, pine nuts, pistachios, avocado, coconut, dates, seeds. most of these fat sources are high on proteins too.

for the rest try to eat veggies at every meal and fruits like there is no tomorrow.

if you are going to start weightlifting so you should start to eat at least 5 times per day, that doesnt mean you need t eat a lot. but dividng nutrients through out the day it helps the body to assimilate better.

for example my favorite meal is the breakfast:

100gr oatflakes, 100 gr of mixed nuts, rice/soy milk, dried cranberries, banana, apricots, dates, figs and if you have it a bit of soy joghurt.

if you want other tips about health and diet go in the right section and open a topic there. plus in the veganbodybuilding website there's a bunch of articles about diets.

if you need just write in this forum i am sure you will get the right support and answers.

good luck and welcome