New to weight training

mvj

Hello everyone, my name is Mark and I have been vegan for 1 year now, and have just recently decided to start weight training. I really enjoy running, and have lost 65+ pounds doing so. I also like to surf which provides with even more cardio. I feel that I lost some muscle mass during my weight loss, so I'd like to focus on gaining back some muscle and reducing my body fat percentage from 17% to 14% and trying not to lose anymore weight (I'm 6', 2" @ 185lbs).

I've been to the gym several times in the last month or so, and I'm trying to design a consistent workout routine that fits my needs. I'd really like to gain strength that will help with surfing. I'm ready to push myself and finally get in serious shape. (P.S. Thanks to the guys who pulled the barbell off of my chest last week, lol)

I am mainly concerned about my diet, I started building a calorie deficit every day while losing weight, and now I need to find ways to eat more without gaining too much fat. It scares me to think that I might put back on the weight I lost, it took so much effort to lose the weight that I am scared to start eating more.

I recently purchased Robert's new book Shred It!, and have just begun reading it. After reading the forums I have decided to start a training log and will post some updates soon.

So far this board has been very inspirational, thanks everyone!

Strange I just posted a reply and then it disappeared. Welcome to the group here Mark! I wouldn't be so concerned with specific weight numbers. If you are building muscle and getting stronger, what does a scale matter really?

Thanks! Yes, I guess you're right that the scale and numbers don't really matter. It's a hard habit to break after weighing myself over and over again during my weight loss phase. Looking forward to feeling stronger

Hey dude, welcome to the forum! One thing that helped me quite a bit when starting out with weight training was to break my sessions up into either "push" or "pull" days. There are tons of ways to train, though, and all of them are great if they inspire you to continue on the journey and you make some gains; some are better than others, of course. Like Dylan said, I wouldn't worry about the number on the scale too much right now. It's bound to change anyhow. I myself lost a lot of weight, like you (about 100lbs) and I spent at least a year weighing myself every day - apparently for no reason. Anyhow, for now I'd just focus on learning proper form, finding the right pace, and making sure you get your diet and rest in order. Starting out with good habits is really important, as bad ones hard both damaging long term and hard to break.

Good luck to you! I look forward to reading your journal.