I'm a Newbee.... Need help.... All input is appreciated....

Biggplata1

Hello everyone,

My name is Carlos, I've been eating a vegan diet for almost 3 years now. I am here because I need Help.

My story is probably similar to many... 3 years ago my grandmother got cancer.... So, being at the hospital by her side while she was going through chemo and radiation, made me think twice about my own health. Make a long story short.... My Grandmother is catholic, and at that time is lent was about to start in a few days... So for those of you who don't know what Lent is, its a time of sacrifice (40days) or fasting..... So as any good Grandson would do, I decided to sacrifice and fast for 40 days.... (I'm not religious) Just did out of respect for my Grandmothers beliefs.... So, I fasted.... yup....

So, I decided that I was going to juice veggies and fruits for 40 days.... LET ME TELL YOU.... That was the beginning of my vegan voyage.... I ended up doing only 30 days... not because I couldn't hang, but because I lost 45 lbs a little to quick..... So I got a little worried and decided to call it quits and incorporate solids into my diet... next few months I lost a total of 65 lbs in about 3 months. So from 6'1' 330 lbs to 265... I was feeling good, my energy up.... Doing a lot of research at the time, made me think about my diet and eating meat.... I was a Very Very Very Big meat eater..... Till this day people that know me can't believe that I don't eat animal products.... Anyways I became vegan... and with time its become a lifestyle....

BUT heres my dilemma... I'm at 280-290lbs..... again..... So, I do work out... I joined a crossfit gym about a year ago... and I love it!!! Awesome.... I recommend crossfit, if you don't know what your doing at a gym or just enjoy a team of people like yourself motivating each other while working your botties off... lol... So Im a big strong guy, but I'm no where near where I should be health wise.... (belly). So as many of you know, most cross fitters are into the Paleo thing. And as a result they look and are fit from what I can see... I know its my diet thats off.... BUT IM CONFUSED..... This book says this, that book says that, 30 bannanas is too much for me.... Im lost....

I need help with my diet.... I need a plan.... can anyone recommend... I want to be lean.... but still have some size.... PLEASE HELP....

I'm also new to this forum.... so need to learn how this works.... AND I will Post some pics soon....

Thanks

Hey man, that's a great story up there. Thanks for sharing.

I'm a bid advocate for calorie counting, and focusing on whole foods. Make sure you get plenty of greens, beans, and other lean things. Make sure you take in enough good carbs to fuel your training, keep protein adequate, and fats relatively low. Get your fats from good sources like almonds, peanut butter, avocados. Avoid oils. Keep sodium sparse, and consume plenty of water. Some people do the 1g protein per 1lb of body weight, but I don't think that's necessary - could be wrong.

As for 30 bananas a day, or even the 80/10/10 Raw Vegan diet, I did that for six months and here's what happened:

1. It was nearly impossible to maintain with my actual lifestyle - I like beer, and I like pizza.

2. My skin broke out, for the first time ever really - and once I gave it up, the breakouts went away.

3. It gave me terrible gas - sorry, if TMI.

4. I gained 14lbs. Yes some of it was muscle, but a lot of it was fat, and now I'm pissed.

4a. Some of the weight gain was probably due to my cheat meals, and not staying true to the plan.

5. I got so sick of eating bananas.

6. My energy was amazing at first, and then over time started to suck.

7. I was constantly hungry, and could never ever ever feel full.

Once I gave it up, all that went away.

As for your Crossfit paleo friends, well, they are clearly mistaken. They may be super buff etc., but they clearly have no idea what they are doing to their insides, the planet, and the animals involved. Besides, how hypocritical is a Paleolithic era pancake? Just kidding. It's like those super jacked people at the gym you see outside smoking. But that's just my opinion.

esqinchi,

Thanks for the input.... awesome to have someone actually reply.... lol... Ive been loggin on everyday to check if someone replied...

Its great feed back... I just downloaded new app "myfitnesspal" to start counting my calories and keep a food journal.... I just weighed myself today and I weigh 285 ..... 285g of protein is going to be the challenge.... Based on some previous research and so on my body uses about 3100 calories a day... 285x11? thats what most books and articles say that I've read in the past. So if I reduce that by 1000 calories a day I can possibly she 1lb a week???? 7000 to the pound.... which I'm fine with so I want to eat 2100 calories to shed fat....

So if I do the simple math....

285g of protein (P) x 4 calories per g = 1140 calories of (P)

2100 daily calories - 1140 calories of (P) = 960 calories left....

This is were all the contradictions begin.... 50/50....30/20....40/10 (carbs to fat)

So.... I decided to go with 50/50 calorie wise....

960/2 = 480 calories of each carbs © and fats (F)

480 calories of © divided by 4 calories per g = 120 g of ©

480 calories of (F) divided by 9 calories per g = 53 g of (F)

So in essence I should by eating:

285 g of (P)

120 g of ©

53 g of (F)

For a total of 2100 calories a day.....

So now the trick is to find and create a menu using whole foods......

I thinks I just had an epiphany..... LOL.....

OK LETS DO THIS.........

Hey man, that's all good down there. Except, a deficit of 3500 cals per week is required to lose 1lb, not 7000. A 7000 deficit would have you losing 2lbs per week. That's what some would call "aggressive" but I did it for a couple years and found great weight loss success.

Re: your macros, I think trying to get 285g of protein is crazy. Honestly, I don't think that's necessary, and I'd be amazed if you found a way to do that eating mostly whole foods. I honestly wouldn't worry about the macros so much right now. Instead, focus on recording your food, eating at regular intervals, and take in some carbs before your workout; like a banana. The rest will take care of itself, for now.

esqinchi,

Yeah.... I thinks thats a little to aggressive... but I'm gonna try for the 2100-2500 calories a day range... As far as protein, yeah 285g is pretty hard. Even if I have a couple shakes a day... It would still be fairly hard to get that much in. So, Im just going to try to get has much protein in and carbs.... I'll just record what I eat... On Sunday I will post pics before, and maybe daily or weekly shots...

Thanks for input