I think I may starve:(

Denise1952

I am new, as you can tell by my topic, lol! My name is Denise, and I live in the Pacific NW. I am 63, and have changed a lot of things for the better in my life, learned a lot. But I still have lots to learn, and I am glad. I think I would get too bored if I knew everything;)

So I saw Robert's video, and a few, other photos of vegan/vegetarians that do weight-training/strength training. They look amazing, and of course, many are much younger than I am:) But I've seen my own progress by doing weights, stretch-bands, and walking uphill, so I know there is muscle to build on here. I was 142 lbs, and now am down to 124. I did get down to 118 but then I slacked off about a month ago, when I went back up to 124.

I learned enough to know that I could eat, and lose weight, by building muscle, and being non-sedentary. So that encouraged me to get into real, weight-training at a gym. I will not be actually in the gym until this coming Wed., payday!! I've also been convinced that animal-protein (which I've eaten all my life) is not for me. I read the China Study, and now seek to give it all up for plant-based food. I am excited, but saw one persons food intake here, and about fainted just thinking about it.

With my BMR, and all the activity (walking, weight-training, Zumba) I need 1700 cals, at least. So I need to know how you guys that have succeeded, eat enough calories, and get the macros you need. I have a food diary I've been keeping since about 2009. It's online, so I can switch my foods, and count calories, only until I get the hang of my new "lifestyle" Feedback, questions, welcome.

Oh, sorry this is so long, but I have some health issues I would love to see disappear, wouldn't we all. I'll just list them, so definitely want to find folks that had a real change in any of these issues, or others, like cancer etc.

Tinnitus

3rd degree AV Node block (had a pacemaker since 97) no 'scripts.

Spasmodic Torticolous

some arthritis/rotater cuff pain (way better since using stretch-bands)

some hearing loss, but not so bad I need hearing-aids

I know some folks don't know what half of those things are, but I'm hoping that getting off animal-protein, and onto plant-based only will change my health, as well as building my bod with weight-training (free-weights or body-weight like pushups etc.). I've also followed Mark Lauren's methods for a couple of years, but not consistently.

Hope to meet some folks to build a support group, as well as support others:)

• 1 month later...

Hi Denise!

I'm gonna have to dig up some of my books on some of the issues you listed...lol! Medical not my strong suit. Though the number of friends I have in real life with this issue or that and googling random "issue" vegan plant based diet forks over knives...and getting off animal protein is almost a recurring theme.

If you have netflix, check out some of these documentaries, they'll help and inspire!

-Forks Over Knives (this was follow-on to China Study)

-Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead

-Cowspiracy

There are others, once you see one or 2 they'll suggest to you what to watch next.

We all transition for various reasons and at our own pace. Some I know learned something, and flipped a switch to PBWF (Plant-based Whole Foods) lifestyle. Others, vegetarian. Me, Vegetarian for about 10 years, then transitioned to vegan....

Also, check out meetup.com and look for a veg/vegan group local to you for some support, friends and AWESOME potlucks!