No Payne, No Gain!

Payne

Managed to get into the gym, on Saturday afternoon:

Warmup:

5 minutes light jog. 6mph on a slight incline.

Weights:

3 sets of 5 bench presses - 70kg

3 sets of 10 deadlifts - 90kg

3 sets of 5 squats - 110kg

3 minute rest between each set for the squats. 30 seconds between the deadlifts

Small circuit:

5x 2 minute rounds on a light technique bag (1 minute rests)

15x dragon press ups

50x sit ups

15x dragon press ups

50x sit ups

Cool down:

5 minute gentle walk on the treadmill and some stretches.

Warmup:

Weights:

3 sets of 10 front squats - 60kg

3 sets of 5 deadlifts - 110kg (managed two sets using the hook grip)

3 sets of 10 bench press - 50kg

3 minute rest between each set for the deadlifts. 60 seconds between the squats and bench press

Small circuit:

6x Body weight dips.

6x Chest to bar pull ups

6x aussie pull ups

Round this circuit three times.

50x sit ups

10x standard press ups

10x wide hand press ups

10x diamond press ups

Cool down:

This was Saturday's session:

Warmup:

Weights:

3 sets of 5 deadlifts - 110kg

3 sets of 5 bench press - 70kg

3 minute rest between each set for the deadlifts and bench presses, 60 seconds between the squats.

Small circuit:

6x Body weight dips.

6x Chest to bar pull ups

6x aussie pull ups

50x sit ups

10x standard press ups

10x wide hand press ups

10x diamond press ups

Cool down:

I've tried quinoa before and found it really bland and soggy. Probably more to do with how I cooked and prepared it! Maybe I should have a look into it again!

Interesting you say that, as when I cook quinoa it tends to be the opposite and come out rather dry (why my wife tells me she's not a fan of it.

How do you cook it? I like to soak mine overnight then I'll strain all of the water off, add hot water and let it simmer in a saucepan for about 10-15mins. Strain that water off again and then it's usually good to go. Quinoa spaghetti is great if you can find it, I use it to make up my own version of spaghetti bolognese ~ assuming you eat tofu it's a pretty yummy dish. If you freezer tofu and then defrost it, it gives it a nice mince-like texture

1620744_609190729158336_1835728204_n.jpg

I can give you the recipe if you ever want to try it out. Congrats on your weight loss as well, 4kg is a big amount. Good work!

I think the last time I made it, I just boiled it up and then drained it off and that was about it. No presoak or anything like that.

Both myself and my other half love tofu. She usually fights me for the last bit of it, so if you've got the receipe, I really would appreciate it so I can give it ago sometime!

Cheers, since the last measurments I've started ensuring I'm consuming more protein and such so hopefully I'll start seeing muscle gain and fat loss instead of losing both! Clearly wasn't having enough protein before. And I found a great little overnight oats recipes with peanut butter and banana in that I tried for the first time last night/this morning and it was amazing. But then I'm a sucker for peanut butter.

Both myself and my other half love tofu. She usually fights me for the last bit of it, so if you've got the receipe, I really would appreciate it so I can give it ago sometime!

Sure buddy, here you go:

Serves: 4

Preparation: 20

Cooking: 20

INGREDIENTS

250g tofu (frozen and then defrosted, to give it a 'mince' texture)

2 onions, chopped

2 cloves garlic, chopped

Oil for frying

1 can tomatoes

1/2 cup water

2 tsp arrowroot

50mls tamari

Pasta for 4 people (use quinoa spaghetti if you can get hold of it)

Grated nuts (this is the parmesan cheese)

Pepper to flavour

COOKING

Fry onions and garlic in pre-heated oil for 5 mins. While onions and garlic are cooking, cook pasta in a separate pot. Squeeze the tofu so it is not too moist and add into pan with tomatoes and arrowroot mixed with the water. Continue to cook and continue stirring until thickened. Pour over cooked pasta and eat ~ delicious and filling MF.

Had a PT session last night where we worked on some light deadlifts and squats (back and front) so Dan could check my technique. He said he's more than happy with my technique, it's just little niggly bits to focus on now like engaging my shoulder blades more and squeezing my ass at the end of everything to really get the full benefit.

After that we did a small circuit:

5x 70kg tyre flips

2x 5x 18kg snatches (a set each hand. The weight increased to 20kg and then 22kg on the following goes round the circuit)

10x box jumps (can't remember how high the box was, but it was hip level to me, so maybe about a metre?)

2x 10x 17kg bulgarian bag swings (10 each way)

2x 12kg kettle bell bottom up, arm up walks (a set on each hand)

Round this curcuit three times in all. Wasn't as intense as usual because he was giving me some quite intense back stuff, and my back's been a little on the dodgy side the last month.

Warmup:

Weights:

3 minute rest between each set for the deadlifts. 60 seconds between the squats and bench press

Small circuit:

6x Body weight dips.

6x Chest to bar pull ups

6x aussie pull ups

2x 2min light bag work

Cool down:

5 minute gentle walk on the treadmill and some stretches

I'm not really seeing any improvement on my dips, aussie pull ups, or normal pull ups, but I'm wondering if that's because I'm doing in the same circuit at the same point each session so by the time I get to it, my arms just dont have anything left. I seem to get to about 5 and usually struggle to get the 6th rep in.

I'm not really seeing any improvement on my dips, aussie pull ups, or normal pull ups, but I'm wondering if that's because I'm doing in the same circuit at the same point each session so by the time I get to it, my arms just dont have anything left. I seem to get to about 5 and usually struggle to get the 6th rep in.

I think you should prioritise them earlier in the workout when you are fresh

A very good idea! Thank you!!

What worries me swapping them round though, is not being able to hit my bench presses and deadlifts. Still struggling with my hook grip too at the moment. Sometimes I'm fine with it, and others, like this morning, it kept popping out. I'm going to get some chalk to try and see if that helps my grip and stops the bar slipping too and pinching the inside of my knuckles.

Friday morning:

Warmup:

Weights:

3 sets of 5 back squats - 110kg

3 sets of 10 deadlifts - 90kg

3 sets of 5 bench press - 70kg

Then I tried some new bits:

3 sets of 10 upright rows -30kg

3 sets of 10 shoulder presses - 25kg

2x 2min light bag work

Cool down:

First time trying the upright rows and shoulder presses hence the low weight. Want to get technique right to start with before I start increasing the weight.

Warmup:

Weights:

3 sets of 10 upright rows - 35kg

3 minute rest between each set for the deadlifts. 60 seconds between the bench press

Small circuit:

8x Body weight dips.

8x Chest to bar pull ups

4x 2min light bag work

50x sit ups

20x standard press ups

20x wide hands press ups

20x diamond hand press ups.

Cool down:

Felt pretty good after that. Had to pop to get some shopping though after and was struggling to hold the basket after a while!

Warmup:

Weights:

3 sets of 5 deadlifts - 120kg

3 sets of 10 front squats - 70kg

3 minute rest between each set for the deadlifts. 60 seconds between the front squats

Small circuit:

8x Body weight dips.

8x Chest to bar pull ups

4x 2min light bag work

50x sit ups

20x standard press ups

20x wide hands press ups

20x diamond hand press ups.

Cool down:

Then managed to fit in half an hour in the pool swimming up and down. Lost track of how many lengths.

On my last set of deadlifts I managed to rip off a callous at the bottom of my middle finger on my left hand. Guess that means no lifting for a week or so until that's healed up!

Warmup:

Weights:

3 sets of 5 deadlifts - 100kg

3 sets of 10 bench press - 55kg

3x 2min light bag work

3x 30 sec battle rope (1x alternate, 1x looping, 1x together)

Cool down:

Tobe honest I was beat after that and although I wanted to do more, I figured I needed to get showered and get to work. So a little disappointed. Had to drop my deadlifts down to 100kg today as my hand was really sore from the callous tear last week and this was the first time I was lifting without any protection on it. Hoping by next week I can go back up to 120.

• 3 weeks later...

Been a little absent of late! Studying is taking over my life for the next month but still trying to get into the gym where possible.

Warmup:

Weights:

3 sets of 5 deadlifts - 120kg

3 sets of 10 bench press - 70kg

3x 2min light bag work

2x 10 pressups on 20kg dumbells. At the top of the pressup, lift alternate dumbells.

2x body weight dips until failure. This was about 7 on each set.

Cool down:

At my last PT session last week I managed 2x 5 reps of 130kg deadlifts. That's a new PB for myself, but the bars at his place are thinner than the ones at my gym which I find too thick to get a decent grip on!

Also my body fat percentage has stayed static since the start of the year, but in the last two months I've managed to put on 6kg of muscle. So it looks like I'm getting enough protein now, just need to eat more, but healthily as my I'm potentially under eating at the moment so my body isn't burning the fat.

• 2 weeks later...

This is starting to get a bit dull an repetitive now and all i can do is apologise!

Warmup:

Weights:

3 sets of 5 deadlifts - 140kg

2 sets of 5 bench press - 75kg

1 set of 5 bench press - 80kg

3 minute rest between each set for the deadlifts and bench press. 60 seconds between the squats.

2x 2min light bag work

3x Body weight dips until failure, was about 8

3x Body weight pull ups until failure, was about 7 (using an assistance band, still crap at pulling my weight up)

50x sit ups

10x standard press ups

10x crucifix press ups

10x diamond press ups

Cool down:

Really pleased I've finally got some chalk to use in the gym as it's really helped my grip when deadlifting. Hoping to hit 150kgs mid to late June. Just need to really focus in on what I'm eating so I can start trimming this fat off as my fat hasn't really moved all that much since the start of the year.

Also, I don't feel like I'm really progressing with my pull ups. Need to hit some more pulls I think on them with heavier weights. Any suggestions?

Warmup:

Weights:

3 sets of 5 deadlifts - 140kg

3 sets of 5 bench press - 80kg

3 minute rest between each set for the deadlifts and bench press. 60 seconds between the squats.

3x Body weight dips until failure, was about 9, last set I got 10.

3x Aussie pull ups until failure, was about 7

2x 2min light bag work

Cool down:

• 3 weeks later...

Warmup:

Weights:

3 sets of 5 deadlifts - 150kg

3 sets of 5 bench press - 80kg

3 minute rest between each set.

Tabata sets: four rounds of each 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off

First set:

20 seconds on - Battle rope side to side

10 second rest

20 seconds on -Press ups with 17.5kg dumbells, lift alternate hands to chest

10 second rest

Repeat another three times (four sets of each in total)

Second set:

20 seconds on -17.5kg snatches (a hand a round)

10 seconds off

20 seconds on - Sprawls

10 seconds off

Repeat another three times (four sets of each in total)

2x 2min light bag work

Cool down:

Chuffed I've hit 150kg on my deadlifts before the middle of the month as I was aiming for the end of June. Maybe I should aim for 200kg by the end of the year?!