Shoulder Popped Out of Socket For a Moment

My right shoulder popped out of its socket for a brief moment in the gym today.

I was doing a dumbell pullover with a 15lb dumbell. I thought it was a reasonable weight and got down on the bench then started moving my arms back, but I guess I wasn't prepared for it and my shoulder popped out of its socket on its way down. Guess I need to always start light, especially with an exercise I'm not really used to.

It was only for a second, but it still freaked me right out. It seems to be fine now, except I have a slight aching pain on my back just below my shoulder now.

I looked it up and apparently it's called a subluxation and that strengthening the rotator cuff muscles can help prevent it. Has anybody had this happen? Did it lead to anything more serious or anything? I"m just gonna make sure to rest for a few days at least.

Yes, your diagnosis seems correct: subluxation. I was going to recommend strengthening your rotator cuffs

I've had this, too, it's nothing to take lightly. If left untreated, it will probably occur again and again, in similar movements even with less resistance.

Rest for 2 days, then start working your rotator cuffs. Work with VERY light weight! After a week, you can start your normal workout again, but keep on working the rotator cuff AFTER each workout.

Maybe someone has a link for exercises?

Ouch!

For rotator cuff, L-flyes are good. One version: take a resistance band (you can find them at Walmart) and hold it in both hands, arms at sides and arms bent at a 90-degree angle. Make sure band is taut. Keep elbows at sides and rotate your hands back. You should feel the work in the rotator cuff (rear shoudler).

You can also hold the band in front of you with both hands (not taut: about 6-12" of slack? You'll have to play around with it to find out what gives you a nice resistance at the end of the move) then pull one arm up and back at an angle, straight arm, so that the workiing arm forms one "branch"of the top of the letter "Y" at the top. (I saw this one recently on a sports training show on FitTV--a baseball pitcher uses it all the time).

Here are some more rotator cuff exercises:

http://familydoctor.org/265.xml