One Legged Squat vs. Stationary Lunges

I've added the One Legged Squat to my leg routine, however I truly hate it due to the fact I need to use the Smith Machine to balance myself since doing it with the barbell just ain't gonna cut it. I am not a fan of how the Smith makes my back feel when doing this exercise. I am wondering would I get nearly the same isolation on an individual leg with a stationary lunge?

I have a strong tendency to favor my right side. My right quad is larger than my left so I am trying to even them out. I do normal squats heavily I just always notice that I push more with my right leg, I figure if I throw in on isolation exercise it will help out.

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna try pistol squats and stationary lunges. I just have a real hard time with the pistol squats for some reason maybe its balance or who knows I never can get them down right. Guess I just have to practice them more.

Due to back troubles in recent years, my training has been stop and start. I used to do single-leg squats (what you call pistols) but, when I was carrying more than 20lbs it used to strain my lower back. So, after a few months to rest my back, I started doing step ups. I don't like them so much so went back to single-leg squats. I started off again without extra weight - just bodyweight. I noticed that after a few weeks my vastus lateralis muscles were noticeably bigger. If the rest of my thigh is bigger, it's not easily noticeable.

I am not interested in increasing my muscle size so I don't try to do so. I often just have some toast and a few nuts and raisins after training. I use the strength-endurance style, where I start with 60 second rests, which I gradually reduce to 30 seconds over a period of a few weeks. Then I add weight and go back to 60 seconds. I do 8 sets of 3. Someone who was serious about building muscle, and who ate with that in mind, and manipulated the sets, reps and rests, could build quite a bit of muscle with the SLS if my experience is anything to go by.

When I first started doing the SLS again, I would get DOMS in my hamstrings and glutes as well as the quads. So that shows those muscles are working hard.

If you have difficulty balancing, you should begin to extend your arms straight out in front of you as you go down and bring them back into your body as you come up. You could also gently hold on to something with one or both hands. A rope or towel round a door handle. Or even the door handle with the door open and your working foot near the edge with the handle.

I love doing the SLS.