Quad Exercises

Share your training programs, favorite exercises, training secrets and tips with the rest of the group. Discuss contest preparation, off-season diets, carb depleting and loading, posing, and training programs.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

VegFitMom
Rabbit

Quad Exercises

#1 Postby VegFitMom » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:37 pm

So I likely have a meniscus tear and am working on strengthening the supporting muscles that help stabilize the patella. I currently can't do squats or anything that requires pivoting, but would love some more suggestions on exercises for my quads that doesn't put too much strain on the knee.
Extensions are out as well. I really need ideas where I control the muscle being used.
Currently I"ve been using the bike as my cardio warm up.

Thanks guys!

bronco
Gorilla

Re: Quad Exercises

#2 Postby bronco » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:19 pm

To be honest I can not imagine any quad exercise that is neither squat-like nor legextensions.

Have you seen a physiotherapist? Did he/she have any suggestions?

crashnburn
Gorilla

#3 Postby crashnburn » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:29 pm

Straight leg.. Ardh & Purna Salabhasana.. Boat & Superman..

They well all help your muscles grow strong and be good stabilizers. ... Its called Statics in Gymnastics.
Does burning food to raise water temperature equate to energy utilization by DIGESTING food (chewing, saliva, stomach acid, pancreatic enzymes, liver etc. Intestines:nutrients absorbed into blood stream)? Definitely NOT! Do Calories really mean anything?

coroho
Manatee

#4 Postby coroho » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:05 pm

If you can bike why not use that as quads exercise? Cyclists have huge legs, especially the shorter distance/sprinters.

VegFitMom
Rabbit

#5 Postby VegFitMom » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:28 pm

Hello!
Yes, I'm seeing two actually! LOL!
...and both physio's are having a hard time coming up with leg exercises for me that are not a heavy strain on the knee.

VegFitMom
Rabbit

#6 Postby VegFitMom » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:30 pm

Thanks Crashnburn I'll add those for sure!

VegFitMom
Rabbit

#7 Postby VegFitMom » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:31 pm

Hi Coroho
I am using the bike as I mentioned but I wanted some other alternatives to throw into the mix. I may even actually get on a real bike and enjoy some Fall colours this week-end.

MartinVegartin
Manatee

#8 Postby MartinVegartin » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:06 pm

Can you do static holds or isometrics? You could hold various positions of the squat - even with one leg at a time - with or without extra weight.

Or you could stand on one leg and swing the other one backwards and forwards quite vigorously and also in a semi-circle in front and then behind you. This exercises all the muscles of the legs and glutes in a stabilising method and can be quite tiring. You could hold on to something if you don't have the balance.

I have torn medial cartilages in both knees and I find that fast side leg raises can put them back into position. They rarely give me any trouble now. I haven't had my knees examined but torn cartilages are the only thing I can think of that fit the symptoms.

Return to “Bodybuilding/Strength Training”