Training Splits

Zack

Pretty sure I already posted something like this, but oh well.

What are your training splits like? I'm thinking about doing arms on a different day.

Right now I'm doing chest with triceps, and back with biceps, but don't like the progress i'm making in my arms.

Split right now is:

Day 1 legs

Day 2 chest/tris

Day 3 back/bis

Day 4 shoulders

Day 5 off

I was thinking about something like

Day 1 Chest

Day 2 Back

Day 3 Shoulders

Day 4

Day 5 Arms

Day 6 Legs

Or

Day 1 Chest/Front Delts

Day 2 Back/Rear Delts

Day 3 off

Day 4 Arms

Day 5 Legs

Day 6 Off

I'm too impatient for my own good.

Less training and more rest if I were you.

This is what I would do if I were you:

Tuesday:

Squat - heavy or volume

Bench - close grip

Power cleans

Chins

Abs

Friday:

Push press

Squat - light and form work

Bent over rows

Seated shoulder press

Abs

Sunday:

Front squat

Deadlift

Bench - normal grip

Curls

Abs

Squatting regularly is paramount. Make sure you don't go too heavy on any lift too often, and watch your overall volume on the squats (as in don't go crazy on it).

Jonathan

I think I'm going to try some of Jonathan's programs. I know he helped Daywalker add some serious mass.

I'm still going to be careful about my back, but I want to do compound movements!

Zack, you seem to be getting pretty strong and you're more consistent than nearly anyone. I think some of Jonathan's suggestions will work for you too.....compound, heavy movements just a few days a week with lots of food and rest in between.

All the best!

Less training and more rest if I were you.

This is what I would do if I were you:

Tuesday:

Squat - heavy or volume

Bench - close grip

Power cleans

Chins

Abs

Friday:

Push press

Squat - light and form work

Bent over rows

Seated shoulder press

Abs

Sunday:

Front squat

Deadlift

Bench - normal grip

Curls

Abs

Squatting regularly is paramount. Make sure you don't go too heavy on any lift too often, and watch your overall volume on the squats (as in don't go crazy on it).

Jonathan

I've been squatting heavy once a week, I think I may change that to squatting twice per week. It depends how dead my legs are, and how heavy I go, like you said.

For sundays, do you recommend doing the lifts in that order? Basically you have benching third, is that a problem for someone who has a lacking chest and might benefit from doing it earlier in the workout? Just wondering your opinion on this.

I've been squatting heavy once a week, I think I may change that to squatting twice per week. It depends how dead my legs are, and how heavy I go, like you said.

For sundays, do you recommend doing the lifts in that order? Basically you have benching third, is that a problem for someone who has a lacking chest and might benefit from doing it earlier in the workout? Just wondering your opinion on this.

No, I wouldn't ever do bench first unless you were going for a new 1rm. I always follow the rule of doing weight bearing, standing lifts first, and non weight bearing or sitting/lying lifts after (like chins/bench).

Rob - I suppose we steered Alex in the right direction, but the seeds of a strength athlete were there all along!

Jonathan